Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Are you ready for autonomous vehicles??

Yes it is coming, and faster than expected.

Breaking: Uber’s Self-Driving Taxis Have Hit The Streets

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/self-d...er-pittsburgh/

Its happening now in Pittsburgh and coming to a city near you. I am ready, how about you?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

No, I will never drive automomous car. I was an engineer for 40 years before retiring and most of my issues were with electronics in nature. When the shop called because they had failed and wanted to know what should they replace the part or the whole assembly. They are made by man and therefore will fail sometime in their life.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I sure hope we have them before someone tries to take my driver's license. I am still waiting for my flying car.
rickinama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #4

Wait till you see semi's and moho with no driver. Wonder what that will do to NASCAR? ...Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #5

Not a chance. I'm an engine guy. If it don't rumble and burn good old Fossil Fuel, I don't want.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
Wait till you see semi's and moho with no driver. Wonder what that will do to NASCAR? ...Dusty
Maybe driverless motorhomes would be a good thing. You could stay home while you are traveling around the country. Hmmm ... probably not.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:21 PM   #7

I was discussing this with my dad recently. It'll be a good thing once the bugs are all ironed out. My dad is 87 and had to quit driving a few years ago because he had a CRVO in his good eye. (central retinal veinal occlusion which amounts to a stroke in the eye) So now I have to drive him everywhere. One question that has been unanswered is once all cars are autonomous with no need for a driver will there then be a need for a drivers license? Think about it..If the steering wheel and all the controls are computerized and anyone can just take a nap on the freeway what will be the purpose of the license? I think there is going to be a time when all the cars that are controlled by human beings will be a thing of the past, but it's going to take some time. Of course a lot of people will complain and gripe and feel like big gubnit is taking their lives over, but get over it. This really could be more liberating than anyone can imagine now. Imagine the end completely of traffic jams because there will be no stupid drivers stopping to gawk at every little distraction along the road.
Most of us remember a time when the phone was bolted to the kitchen wall and when the notion of video chat was some box on the wall, but the reality? Now you can have that device in your pocket with more computing power than anyone dreamed of just 20 years ago. Remember paying several hundred dollars for the external hard drive you thought was going to revolutionize computing? Remember 8 tracks, cassettes or even 45 records? Now that full wall full of recorded music fits in your pocket along with your phone, rolodex, adding machine, maps and on and on..
I don't think it's inconcievable (sp) that someday a battery that powers your cell phone can also power the vehicle that transports you across the continent. The technology of the past 40 years has moved so quickly that it's nearly impossible to even predict what revolutionary concept will be around in ten years much less in 50 years.
martyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #8

Good post martyra. Things are changing much faster than I ever expected. I never thought I would live long enough to see self driving cars but here they are. I embrace the new technology and look forward to much much more. We may even one day get to the point where no one will need to do manual labor. also consider all the lives saved by reducing the amount and severity of accidents.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
They are getting close now. My D/W has a 16 Acura MDX. On the interstate, once up to cruise speed with the cruise control on (and all the other stuff that goes with it)...it will stay in it's lane and if approaching a car from the rear, the cruise control will self disengage until a safe distance is achieved, then reengage. I watched it do all this with my hands in my lap, never touched a thing. If the cruise is not on, and the driver gets too close to the vehicle ahead, the car will activate the brakes...I didn't much like that when it happened earlier in the day.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I get old enough so I should not be driving, I will appreciate the fact that I will not be forced to stay home or be relevant on somebody to drive me around.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #11

I don't like it when someone else drives so I will NOT enjoy it when 'nobody' is driving.

Course I will never have to worry about it.........I will NOT get in an autonomous car.

I was a Control Operator for a major utility company ----Power Plants.

Systems were designed to work in 'AUTO' and once up and stable 'AUTO' did most of the controlling. UNTIL---------AH *$&$^

Our inside joke was:
Job consisted of hours upon hours of boredom interrupted by moments of shear terror

NO -----I will NOT allow any AUTO driving if I am in the vehicle.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my old age, after having driven myself for 65 years or so, it is still one of my greatest pleasures in life.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #13

I look forward to seeing this technology applied to helping truckers get across America.
If you've ever driven a ten hour stint trying to stay on schedule after you've spent a good amount of your on duty time at a pick up point, a little help is well appreciated, not to mention the safety factor.

In the Motor Home, yes it would be a big plus as you get to sight see more where you would other wise be forced to concentrate on the road and traffic.
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #14

"Be not the first to lay the old aside nor the last to take up the new." My did used to say this when I wanted the latest and greatest gadget. Presently, I am not convinced that autonomous vehicles are safe enough to let them decide my fate on the highway. Will Norton or McAfee or some other anti-virus/anti-hacking program protect me and my loved ones? Mind you, I'm not a naysayer, as I do believe the time will be forthcoming in the very near future, say 10-20 years, when self-driving vehicles will approach more general acceptance.