Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #29

Here's an interesting article from Car & Driver mag.

Autonomy and Self-Driving Cars: How We See It – Feature – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #30

For those who say they're NEVER going to ride in an autonymous vehicle be prepared to walk. There may come a day when it's mandated. I seriously doubt that it's going to happen in my lifetime or yours, but suppose it is.
Let's just pretend that the technology is so good that every government around the world decides that only vehicles controlled by some vague computerized system can be operated on roads.. This is purely speculation based on 'what if', but what if it comes to pass? Are you going to walk? Are you going to get a horse and buggy? Are you going to just grow wings and fly? The day is coming so the only real question is when..
Personally I look forward to it and a bit disappointed that I'm probably too old to ever see the day when I no longer have to worry about the fool in the hotrod next to me on the freeway or worry about getting run off the road when I'm driving at the legal posted speed limit pissing off everyone that's in some big hurry to go buy milk before the price goes up.
As mentioned earlier there are several things that no longer exist simply because the technology made them obsolete.
On a side note, I wonder how many people are still whining and complaining that their phone no longer has a rotary dial.. There's probably a few out there..

Old 09-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I agree! They are unsafe! Just ask that tesla driver who hit the semi truck. If he were alive he would tell you the human brain cannot be replaced behind the wheel.
If memory serves, Tesla stated that the vehicle driver MUST pay attention to the road and traffic to be able to take over should the system make mistakes.
Like mistaking the side of a white semi for a cloudy sky.

JMHO: If you have to be constantly paying attention and ready to take over and correct ; why not just do the driving in the first place?
Beyond speed control , I hope things don't progress in my driving lifetime.
Lane change warnings, blind spot monitoring and auto braking , just allow to many poor drivers to continue using the roadways.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #32

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Autonomous vehicles have been around forever.
Ben Hur fell off his chariot and the horses just kept on going!
No big deal!!
Old 09-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #33

I wonder who will have financial responsibility?

Owner? Computer maker? Hmmmm.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyra View Post
Personally I look forward to it and a bit disappointed that I'm probably too old to ever see the day when I no longer have to worry about the fool in the hotrod next to me on the freeway or worry about getting run off the road when I'm driving at the legal posted speed limit pissing off everyone that's in some big hurry to go buy milk before the price goes up....
For the record, I used to walk the dogs and kids along my suburban road, almost daily, a decade ago...

The speed limit was 25, but people used to fly by.

I printed a speed limit sign, had it on a small stick, and would wave it at speeders as they sped by.

Neighbors used to see this and wave and smile.

Kids in hot rods looked, then looked at their speedo, then slowed down. Of course, 1/4 later they sped up again because of their short attention span.
Older folks often did not seem to see me or it. More scary than annoying, as they also did not speed as often. (Still what is worse, a hit at 25 mph, or a near miss at 40 mph?)

The worse were people my own age, 40s and 50s, on the phone, not caring at all, and then once they saw me and my sign, a real look of annoyance toward me, with the unspoken challenge of who was gonna make them?

I even had one or two yell out, 'who is gonna make me?' or 'who are you that I should listen to you?'

So, I am afraid that these autonomous cars will somewhat protect me from not just the hot rods, but also the little ole' ladies and gentlemen, and the 'more important than thou' types in the nice cars...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
I wonder who will have financial responsibility?

Owner? Computer maker? Hmmmm.
My guess would be the insurance co. There should be way fewer accidents. Now the downside is little to no revenue for the police, as speeding will be a thing of the past.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry folks. It will happen. It has been in the movies and will come to a theater near you.

From a practical standpoint it makes sense and I predict will save lives and reduce injuries caused by motor vehicle accidents. There will be accidents since no system is perfect but the big freeway parking lot incidents will be fewer and less catastrophic.

Speeding through school and playground zones as well as residential area will go away. Photo radar will cease to exist as a cash cow for government. Our daughter who is consistently tardy can now blame the car for being late unless you are able to query the vehicle log, then the truth will out.

Autonomous cars will replace problematic light rail systems currently being installed at huge cost and traffic snarls.

I am going to miss stepping on the throttle to get the occasional chirp from the tires.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sorry folks. It will happen. It has been in the movies and will come to a theater near you...
I've seen the movie too.

This is all fine and dandy, till the robots catch you in the tunnel, and have have to turn off the automated drive in order to survive the M5 robots who have corrupted the laws of robotics.

They are, after all, going to only sacrifice a small number of us in order to protect us from ourselves.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #38
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If memory serves, Tesla stated that the vehicle driver MUST pay attention to the road and traffic to be able to take over should the system make mistakes.
Like mistaking the side of a white semi for a cloudy sky.

JMHO: If you have to be constantly paying attention and ready to take over and correct ; why not just do the driving in the first place?
Beyond speed control , I hope things don't progress in my driving lifetime.
Lane change warnings, blind spot monitoring and auto braking , just allow to many poor drivers to continue using the roadways.
Tesla states that because the Tesla is NOT an autonomous vehicle.

I wish people would stop confusing the two because the technologies in a truly autonomous vehicle of today are quite different than what you have in a Tesla. Elan Musk also states the Tesla is NOT self-driving.

I'm also surprised how many people are dead against this. Amazing because technology will march forward despite any objections by a few. And unlike airplanes in autopilot mode, there are visual technologies in use by true autonomous vehicles, it's not just x/y/z coordinates from GPS systems. There's a lot more computation going on to manage an autonomous vehicle.

Also, if anyone is familiar with crowd-sourcing apps like Waze, the information of a central computer will in fact serve as the "pimp" making sure all the automated systems understand their environment realtime, what's ahead, what's behind, what's on each side. Even the car manufacturers are working out the details for inter-car communications to prevent automobile to automobile crashes, irregardless of autonomous operation.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
autonomous RV ? I hope so .. My wife is tired of leaning over from the passenger seat to hold the wheel as I go to the back for a sandwich or nature break. At least I have cruise control.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I've seen the movie too.

This is all fine and dandy, till the robots catch you in the tunnel, and have have to turn off the automated drive in order to survive the M5 robots who have corrupted the laws of robotics.

They are, after all, going to only sacrifice a small number of us in order to protect us from ourselves.
Absolutely.

Just if the robots decide to sacrifice more of us than we are currently sacrificing under our own guidance.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Absolutely.

Just if the robots decide to sacrifice more of us than we are currently sacrificing under our own guidance.
This is a good point, and I have maintained right along, while autonomous vehicles may break from time to time, the total fatalities are far more likely to reduce than not.

I wish there were a Darwinian factor to driving inappropriately was directly linked to the less productive among us, but there is no direct correlation.

Frequently smart people do dumb things, and dumb people hit others with their cars while doing dumb things...
Old 09-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #42

Instead of autonomous vehicles, I have always thought there was a better and more interactive roll that other drivers could control poor drivers...

Each month, every driver gets 3 suction cup darts and a launcher. These darts have a special glue where they stick to the back of a car, and CANNOT be removed for 30 days.

Then, if you are driving down the road, and some fool drifts into your lane, or cuts you off while talking on their phone, you simply dart them.

While driving along, most cars over the course of a month may get a dart, or may not. Many of us make a mistake from time to time. (The rest of us usually lie about making a mistake from time to time)

So, you are cruising down the road, and come upon a car with a dart on the back. So be it. No big deal.

Later, you are cruising and find a car that is loaded with dozens of darts. That guy you give lots of room, and avoid. You will know that a great deal of people have declared that this guy is a bad driver.

Police will also see the darts, and act accordingly.

This way, 'Dart man' will most likely be relatively alone when Darwin calls him home, and he is less likely to hurt you or me...