Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Instead of autonomous vehicles, I have always thought there was a better and more interactive roll that other drivers could control poor drivers...

Each month, every driver gets 3 suction cup darts and a launcher. These darts have a special glue where they stick to the back of a car, and CANNOT be removed for 30 days.

Then, if you are driving down the road, and some fool drifts into your lane, or cuts you off while talking on their phone, you simply dart them.

While driving along, most cars over the course of a month may get a dart, or may not. Many of us make a mistake from time to time. (The rest of us usually lie about making a mistake from time to time)

So, you are cruising down the road, and come upon a car with a dart on the back. So be it. No big deal.

Later, you are cruising and find a car that is loaded with dozens of darts. That guy you give lots of room, and avoid. You will know that a great deal of people have declared that this guy is a bad driver.

Police will also see the darts, and act accordingly.

This way, 'Dart man' will most likely be relatively alone when Darwin calls him home, and he is less likely to hurt you or me...
LOL

I can just see Grandma or Grandpa puttering down the road 20 mph under the speed limit. Especially if it was near the end of the month and I still had my three darts. They may get three darts in short order. Sort of a straffing run!!!! LOL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #44
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Autonomous Beer Delivery

Budweiser has done it - they've deployed a self-driving 18-wheeler that has a driver ride along in the back The technology is apparently limited to highway driving, but once the driver gets the vehicle up on the highway, they hit a switch and go sit in the sleeper area to relax. There's a video on their website showing this quite clearly. The delivery was a 120 mile trip. It's only a matter of time and when insurance rates drop substantially for autonomous vehicles, a lot of naysayers will suddenly be on board. Look what they already offer for discounts if you let them "plug this little device" into your vehicle diagnostics port so they can monitor your road ra..I mean driving habits

bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:18 PM   #45

Completely autonomous not gonna happen. I'll still be out there in my analog Corvette. Period.

You gonna put your kids in an autonomous compact car amongst a bunch of autonomous semi's? Not me.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:29 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Completely autonomous not gonna happen. I'll still be out there in my analog Corvette. Period.

You gonna put your kids in an autonomous compact car amongst a bunch of autonomous semi's? Not me.
How would you as a rider like to be entering the highway in front of a self driving truck and notice a wooden pallet or some other debris in front and have to slow fast? Not me, I don't trust them any more than I trust my laptop to keep working right.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:09 AM   #47

They're coming and eventually the car won't go the manual way. But until then you'll be able to select manual or auto. Insurance rates will be based on which you choose.

So you've choose the auto mode and you're late and in a hurry. The car is driving in auto mode doing the speed limit and you're late. Off goes the auto mode and you go the speed everyone else is going that's in manual mode. So at least you have a choice - for now.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
They said the same thing about electronic ignition when it started coming in. No, no they cried keep the points and condenser!

Absolutely there may be accidents because of unique situations. But, I have seen ladies putting on mascara passing me while I am doing the speed limit. Now they will be able to do so much more safely.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post

Totally agree! I still enjoy driving, even though the rest of you don't know how to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
They said the same thing about electronic ignition when it started coming in. No, no they cried keep the points and condenser!

Not even close to the same thing. If the electronic ignition fails I don't crash into the semi truck in front of me.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
I'm gonna hack that 18 wheeler's system and send it to my house
Old 10-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Totally agree! I still enjoy driving, even though the rest of you don't know how to drive

Not even close to the same thing. If the electronic ignition fails I don't crash into the semi truck in front of me.
Just talking about progress. I guess a better example would have been autopilot and auto-land.

Anything mechanical is able to be replicated by an automatic system. Stay between the lines and keep a minimum distance of "X" feet is easily replicable.

The only unknown is the random unpredictable acts done by so drivers who are distracted or simply think they own the road. I would take replacing them with automatic systems in a heartbeat.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #52

And those zoomie vette drivers will have their manual controls removed by Court Order. ;-)

Not trying to start a fight but one big advantage of autonomous would be to even out the traffic flow. That will put pressure on the authorities to do something about the folks who just have to get one car ahead in the 50 car line of traffic or pull those pass on the ramp moves and a lot of other dumb things in traffic. Overall that will be better for all of us. On a personal level it will become much easier to remove driving privileges for folks who do not play nice as they will just be forced to use the auto mode. That means they can still get to their necessary places without terrorizing the rest of us.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #53

Anyone who drives in Massachusetts will realize that an automatic driver mechanism can be cobbled together from a tin can, a candle and timex, and that automated vehicle will likely drive better than 80% of those I see daily.

What most forget about is that good driving is not about the ability to manipulate the vehicle, that part is easy. The hard part is doing it very consistently, and dealing with the multitude of others who hardly do it in a manner that is in anyway predictable.

Distracted drivers have always been on the road, but I believe there are more distractions and more drivers who are distracted than ever before. Problem is, cars do more than ever before, so people have more time to devote to their distractions.

Used to be you had to shift, you had to pump your own brakes, you had to regulate yourself much more than you do now. Cars now brake for themselves, warn you about people in blind spots, even keep you in your own lane. Some cars even parallel park themselves and have been doing it for years. Because the car does more, and distractions are more plentiful, it makes sense that people will do more and more of the distractions while driving, and the car will do more and more of the driving.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:18 AM   #54

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
All I can say is O Well it has arrived.

https://youtu.be/Qb0Kzb3haK8

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote