Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #1

Are you taking the RV anywhere on Thanksgiving??

For the first time ever on Thanksgiving we will be on the road to Pismo Beach Calif. Wondering if any others will be going some place special? We make a stop at my daughters Thursday and then off to Pismo!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #2

Nope... Kids & G-kids will be here. But, are planning to try to get out of town the middle of January. Depends on how much snow we might have! :O
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We plan to be parked and settled in for the winter by than. "No thanks" to driving in holiday traffic. Plan to visit family via Skype that day though...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:06 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Grand Design Owners Club
First real road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
For the first time ever on Thanksgiving we will be on the road to Pismo Beach Calif. Wondering if any others will be going some place special? We make a stop at my daughters Thursday and then off to Pismo!
We just arrived yesterday near the kids home in South Carolina. From Houston Texas area to here was about 1000 miles. Did it in 3 days with no major issues except the traffic and road construction.

This is our first real road trip since we bought our Class A in July. Have to make a few observations:
1. Most drivers (cars that is) ignore the speed limits, especially in construction zones. 10 to 20 miles an hour over the posted limits are the norm.
2. Most truckers seem to treat motorhomes similar to large trucks.
3. Driving a Class A can be a white knuckled experience, especially in heavy traffic. Came through Atlanta Georgia was a new experience in a RV. Have done it many times in an car/pickup but the experience of 10 lanes of traffic doing 15 to 25 MPH due to the volume of traffic in a large rig and toad is a new experience.
4. Finding a place for fuel (we have a gasser) that is easily maneuvered around was an unexpected challenge. Most truck stops seem to provide lots of space if you use diesel but not so much for motorhomes (with a toad) for gasoline. Had to bypass a few stations due to limited parking lot size and small pump area.
5. To me personally a good mental attitude is paramount. Right lane, slow and steady will get you through most situations. But after a couple of hours in the traffic had to stop for a break (lunch and walkaround). Frankly, I was mentally exhausted after the drive through A town.

The concentration level was higher and more demanding for me than driving something smaller. But overall the trip was relatively uneventful. The experience has taught me a few lessons that seem to work. Not being tied to a hard and fast schedule as far as arrival and departure times makes the stress less during the actual trip. Start looking for fuel at about a half tank level removes the stress of worrying about fuel. Take breaks about every 2 hours, even if you just get out and walk around for 10 minutes or so worked well for us. And last but not least, have a good co-pilot (my lovely bride) to help with music and conversation to make the trip enjoyable.

Travel safe everyone and give thanks for the blessings of life.
david.howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:19 AM   #5

RV is winterized and in hibernation for the colder months, but this year we are staying home instead of our normal travelling on T-Day. Family is coming our way this year....finally get to stay home instead of driving 500+ miles each way.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Heading down to New Smyrna Beach, (about 2 hrs. away) for 6 days to DW's cousin's house for Thanksgiving. I'm taking the smoker down to do a 21 pounder , gonna be a ton of family there. Not sure how many birds they're cooking, but should be a blast.
Her cousin installed a 50 amp plug for us to set up in their yard.
Cousin Eddie style...

DW is also officiating a wedding for the family on Sat.
Should be a great weekend !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full_cousin_eddie.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	183391  

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #7

Just dropped ours off in Auburn, AL for that little college football game Saturday... We will be back over there on Thanksgiving night
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #8

Headed to a friends 70 Acre playground, boondocking next to the pond, miles of 4 wheeler trails, latest count over a dozen campers coming along.
Yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to the "Dinner" and the alternative campground.. Thanksgiving is moving day, and a local church is doing the community Thankjsgiving and is. 100' out of my way.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #10

We are going to a local campground about 25 miles from home that we visit occasionally when we don't have a lot of time to travel. We be taking one of our grandchildren with us for a couple of days and are having Thanksgiving with my wife's family in that area.
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Pismo will be great. We were going to do T-Dinner on the road somewhere on the road taking slow route to Quartsite but the DW wanted to see more of the California coast. So Saturday we grab the Toad and will do Pismo, San Luis, and head back to Ridgecrest.
Don't know if you plan to stay on the beach, if your first time, be very careful to look for high tide mark. Pismo beach tide deceives many folk.
Anyway, looks to be good weather for the Holiday weekend, low 70's/high 60's and mid 50's at night.
Hope You Have A Wonderful Thanksgiving Weekend.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #12

2.5 hour drive south to my BIL's house in De Leon Springs for our annual family T-day get together. Should be about 30 people in all. I'll be oil-less frying my brined bird in the Big Easy fryer. Hopefully as good as previous years.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #13

Going some place "special"... No. Not special, by most folks standards.

I'm not retired, yet. Still in the office Mon - Fri.
My business has had a banner year, which has meant that we have only had a few opportunities to get away in the MH this year.

Here is my Thanksgiving Day schedule:
*11:00 am - Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws.
*1:30 pm - Back home, then on the road to a beautiful (and lesser known) lake for a few days. It is at least possible that we may be the only folks in the campground, since it is a holiday.

The weather forecast looks awesome... around 70 degrees (+/-) for the next week or so. I will be spending much of the daylight hours fishing and my evenings by the campfire with my bride.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Going to my cousin's in Wildomar, CA (100 miles from home). Her husband installed a 30 amp outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wildomar 036.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	183414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wildomar 037.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	183415  

ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote