Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
With the recent breach at Target that has affected ~40 million credit and debit card holders, I have been thinking about ways to help protect ourselves from CC fraud.
One thing I have heard about is some people are not signing the backs of their cards, instead, signing "Ask for ID". This sounds like a great idea, but I was wondering if any here have done this and experienced problems in using the cards.
Another thought I have had is refusing to swipe the card and insisting the clerk input the number manually. I'm not sure this would have made any difference in the Target theft, but I would think if enough people do this it might wake up the industry to abandon the archaic decades-old mag strip technology and implement the European chip and PIN technology that has been in use there and in other countries for years.
The US is woefully behind other countries, mostly because of the cost the banks would have to lay out to implement the more secure system. I blame the banks as much as Target for this hack (and of course the hackers themselves!)
Your thoughts on the matter?
I have signed the back of my debit and credit card with 'ask for ID' since the 90's and have only had ONE person in all that time even look at the back of my card, (of course I had to produce my drivers...as per my instructions..) but have never had a problem with swiping...
You can do what my friend did for a signature, he put down his phone # and I asked why he said it was so the 'thief' could call and return his card... no one looked at his card either... I think he hoped to get a date myself...
So don't sign the card, they can't 'make you'

We use chip cards and the vendor never even sees your card (s).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
As Canadians we have PIN & Chip secured CC that we have used for years in both Canada & Mexico where this security system has been adopted....never had a card compromised. In the US where this technology is not used .....my wife had her card compromised last year at ....Target...and I had my card compromised at...Bashers.

However, in both cases the security breach was not at the check-out........ (signature would have made no difference .....nor did the PIN or Chip....nor was it scanned, so tin foil shielding would not have helped) .......but at the head office "systems " level where you would think major companies would have much better security? Short of giving up the use of my credit card ........I think the ball is in the Bank's/Retailer's court to find the appropriate security solution....last time I looked they seemed to be making a pretty healthy profit .....even after coving all of this theft!
We have had our card compromised twice in the US. Even though our cards have a chip, when used in the US, the chip is not used. The US Banks have some catching up to get into the real world.
As far as the Ask for ID, I have had that on my cards for years. At a Wallmart, they refused to take the card because it was not signed. I asked the supervisor how she would know if the signature was valid without some other form of ID to verify it. Her response was "it is Wallmart Policy to require a signed card". So if you can forge the signature on the card, you are good to go.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
While the CC bank may be vulnerable up to the credit limit, you are not. Your maximum liability is $50. With a debit card the law states: If someone makes unauthorized transactions with your debit card number, but your card is not lost, you are not liable for those transactions if you report them within 60 days of your statement being sent to you. Lost or Stolen Credit, ATM, and Debit Cards | Consumer Information
My reason for not using debit cards is the loss of money during the investigation. On a credit card you are never without your cash. The disputed amount is temporarily credited while the investigation takes place. Not true with debit cards.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree and never use a debit card either... Not to mention I like my Amex miles
Old 12-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
We have done the "See other ID" for many years. The primary advantage
is that your signature will not be known to anyone who stole your card.
We had a card stolen once, and had to submit signatures to the
cards fraud folks. Since the thieves did not have our signatures,
we had no issues. We also refuse to sign our actual signatures on
all and any of the machines, we just scribble. This is an additional
step to keep your actual signature away from thieves.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
We have done the "See other ID" for many years. The primary advantage
is that your signature will not be known to anyone who stole your card.
We had a card stolen once, and had to submit signatures to the
cards fraud folks. Since the thieves did not have our signatures,
we had no issues. We also refuse to sign our actual signatures on
all and any of the machines, we just scribble. This is an additional
step to keep your actual signature away from thieves.
With a Chip Card, you do not surrender your card and only enter your PIN. No signature required. Without the pin, the card is useless. There tries with the wrong pin and the card locks up and will not work without going into your bank to rest the pin.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
I had a Post Office clerk - actually a Postmistress - refuse my card with See ID on it. She said that they had received a letter from DC saying that the card is only legally valid if properly signed and to not accept them. She finally relented but told me that in the future she wouldn't. I won't go political here, just reporting a story.

We've never had any other issue and I always thank clerks or servers who ask for the ID.

JMHO but I like the idea of noting on the check for servers to please ask for ID, but I feel that withholding the tip is too harsh. Those folks work awfully hard.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Before my Visa card was chipped it was cloned at least once, ending up in Spain of all places. We now have a chipped card which as I understand doesn't send out a RF, so no data to copy by crooks. Since the CC was chipped....no incidences.....although I do not shop at target...
Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
My reason for not using debit cards is the loss of money during the investigation. On a credit card you are never without your cash. The disputed amount is temporarily credited while the investigation takes place. Not true with debit cards.
My FCU handles CC and debit accounts the same. I have never lost a dime because they catch it when it happens. They know my buying habits and freeze the account abd call me when there is an anomaly.

Have never had any disputed funds, CC nor debit. My FCU rocks!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #38

I had written "Check Id" on the back of my card and one store clerk told me I had to sign it. How stupid. I could be anybody signing it and it would match the signature on the paper. That person could probably not make change if it wasn't for the register.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting read:
Weak US card security made Target a juicy target

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
I have had "ask for photo ID" on my cards for about 5 years. Problem is 1 out of 20 clerks ask to see ID. About 3 years ago my card was compromised at Lowes. I solved the theft problem by going back to cash!! No more holding up lines answering 20 questions from a machine...give them the cash and go.

I was at Target the day this happened...I paid cash and glad I did.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #41

ID on debit card

I have put check ID on all my debit and credit cards for the last 10 years and to my surprise most of the time a clerk will just swipe the card and not ask. I will always bring it to their attention and with an funny look they will then check it and I will go on my way, I feel it is a good tool but in today's fast paced world it is not always used.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use a VISA debit card for both online and in person transactions, but it is only funded for the amount of purchase. With online banking available on our cell phones and laptops, we move only the amount needed for the transaction. There are no other monies on the debit card, and it is not tied to our bank account. Our credit union recommended this after our regular VISA was compromised. Thankfully, it was only $25, and the credit union made it good.

virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote