Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #43

Hard to believe in this day and age that the US doesn't use chip cards on credit cards. That's so archaic. You can sign your dog's name on the receipt and you are good. I really can't see the point in putting "ask for ID" on the back.

If the hackers want your CC info., they are ways they can get it anyway. In August/September, our community mail box got broken into 3 times. Canada Post refuses to accept any responsibility. We have not been getting any financial or banking stuff sent through the mail for several years. Stolen mail can also lead to identity theft, not just credit card issues. We also do not put out anything with personal or banking info. on it into the trash for curbside pickup. If someone phones, and it doesn't matter how big the organization is or who they are, we don't give them any personal info. until they can 100% prove who they are.

We had our CC compromised twice this past year and are almost 100% certain it happened while in the US.

We now have a US Visa card for use in the US and it has a small limit on it in case it gets compromised. That way we don't have to change the card number with the regular business that bill us monthly for things if it gets compromised.

We are also very careful about our ordering online and use our US credit card and typically only with major and established companies we know. If it is a small company we do not know them then typically we will use PayPal as that will better protect our credit card.

Rule number one - never let your CC out of your sight! A lot of restaurants have the server to take your card away to be swiped and then they bring it back with the slip to sign. We've had the occasional gas station ask to leave your card inside while you go pump. Bad idea.

Credit card fraud and identify theft is really BIG business nowadays and organized crime is into to it in a BIG, BIG way. You need to guard your personal, financial and banking info. with your life. DW is an accountant and certified fraud examiner and is extremely selective in who she will give info. to, but despite that, we've still had our credit cards hacked 4-5 times in the past few years. It's pretty unnerving to go pay for something only to find that your card has been shut down. You feel so violated when it happens.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #44
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Scott & Jess,

Check the link in post #15. Much more information.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Read that Wayne, thanks for posting it.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As the OP, I'm well aware that these practices would not have prevented or had any effect on the Target theft. However, when they claim the data were stolen, does that mean only the card-swiped data at the readers were taken or were data inputted at the registers taken also? For example, if the clerk punched in the numbers was that affected as well? Target was not clear on the details, but card reader hacks are fairly common. I don't know much about payment systems, but it would seem to me that software that is pushed to the card readers may be infected with key loggers or malware while the actual cash registers may not be. Or maybe it's all one big vulnerable package.
My feeling is that by insisting they manually input the numbers, the message gets across they the public does not trust the current card reader systems and maybe it will pressure the banks and merchants to improve their system security.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #47

The problem is the Internet no id required. My youngest was hit last month cleaned out his checking to the penny and charged a lot on a credit card that hasn't been used in months. Luckily B of A called and asked about charges.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #48
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It seems it was the Point Of Sale (POS) that was affected.

Here is the information: TARGET Hacked
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
When I entered my bank a couple years ago I was asked by the teller if I wanted my picture on my debit card. I agreed to it and feel a little more secure about my card. Of course this only helps when it is presented in person to a store/rest. employee.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
The reason most don't bother asking for ID is because the companies started getting sued by people saying that it was wrong and they don't like it and it's a hassle that does nothing SO they stopped asking for ID to stop getting sued.
Out here in CA most places that ask for ID don't check the back for a signature, they match the name on the card with the name on the ID that is showed. We thank them for asking and sometimes we get a thank you for being polite and not cussing them out for asking for it.
In some states it's illegal to ask and in some states it's not so not tipping a waiter/waitress cause they did not ask is just not right, it could be against the law, the cards themselves, and the company policy for them not to ask.
Target is not the only company to get hacked and won't be the last. They just happen to be the last big one in the news. Did not matter if you "never let the card out of sight or your hands" the info stored on the card got stolen anyway. The info gets stolen a lot that way, usually it's the gas pumps with the paying on the pump. Thom got his taken that way about a year ago. The card did not leave his hands and the info still got taken.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
. My FCU rocks!
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
The reason most don't bother asking for ID is because the companies started getting sued by people saying that it was wrong and they don't like it and it's a hassle that does nothing SO they stopped asking for ID to stop getting sued.

In some states it's illegal to ask and in some states it's not so not tipping a waiter/waitress cause they did not ask is just not right, it could be against the law, the cards themselves, and the company policy for them not to ask.
I didn't know this.

What were the CC companies being sued for? What kinds of suits were they? I'm just wondering what damages a court would find CC companies liable for in these cases.

Do you know which states have laws against asking for ID?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #52

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't heard of it being illegal but as I posted before it is against MC, Visa and American Express' policy to ask for ID and is a breech of contract between the card companies and merchant for the merchant to ask for ID.
I will add on a side note that there were lawsuits for merchants (William Sonoma for example) asking for zip codes or other information that ended up being used to send out marketing after matching your credit card name to your zip code.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
We were living in FL and it was probably about 12 to 15 yrs ago. There were several news items about people suing cause they were getting asked for ID. Thom and I were kinda amused and we talked about it and others we knew were talking about the stupidity of people not wanting to show ID. Not sure if the cases went anywhere, I just remember the suits being brought and everyone talking about it. That might be why the CC companies now have it in there fine print that companies are not supposed to ask for ID.
People can get busy or lazy and don't want to be bothered about pulling out their wallets and stuff I guess they thought they would just get them to stop. We have have seen the cashiers getting verbally abused when asking for ID. We always thank them for asking for ours. But we will not make a big deal about not getting asked for it.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ask for ID only works at the sales counter or check out register, It does not work ON-Line..

True story: A co-worker of mine got a call (Even as I recently did) someone had used her credit card to order a bunch of stuff that did not fit her buying pattern..

Well, in her case the charge was approved (In mine it was declined so no loss) however when the UPS truck pulled up in front of the thief's door TWO people got out, one was introduced as a "Trainee" 1st day type.

Once the package was signed for the "Trainee" explained that actually she was not going to work for UPS, she already had a full time job..... As a State Police Trooper.. And that thief (And his brother who'd copied her card info) found themselves to be Fine Upstanding citizens.. Or is that FINED Upstanding in front of the judge, and going to jail, citizens.

Sometimes, We the GOOD people get lucky.

Both times the purchases were made/attempted on line.

Both times we got new cards..
Old 12-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made 2 in store CC purchases yesterday. Got a call at 6:45 this morning from the CC security asking if I was using my CC online now. Someone got my info and they were on an online shopping spree. The CC never left my hand and they still got the number. They cancelled my CC instantly and removed the fraudulent charges but it is still a hassle.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #56

Ask for ID on a debit card? I guess if you are using it as a credit card and if the cashier cares... a PIN would be better.

becida is offline   Reply With Quote