Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I made 2 in store CC purchases yesterday. Got a call at 6:45 this morning from the CC security asking if I was using my CC online now. Someone got my info and they were on an online shopping spree. The CC never left my hand and they still got the number. They cancelled my CC instantly and removed the fraudulent charges but it is still a hassle.
Similar thing here a few months back. DW used our Visa to set up a special room for our grandkids who were going to be staying at the Disneyland Hotel. She called the hotel directly... gave the agent her CC info... and the next day we got a call from our CC security informing us of a spending spree at and around the Disneyland Hotel using our CC. They insisted that the purchases were "swiped" using the physical card.

We live in Arizona and certainly were nowhere near LA during this time so maybe the crook made a new card with our numbers. The manager at the hotel insisted that they weren't the source of the theft... indicating that only three employees were ever exposed to our CC info. He wasn't amused when I pointed out that this should narrow his search.

It was a hassle but no loss to us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #58

Just an opinion: This time of year, there are a lot of temporary hires. This would be a good time for the crooks to infiltrate the marketplace workforce with trained CC thieves.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #59

Earlier this year while traveling for business, by Visa credit card was hacked to the tune of $11,128.65!!!!! I still had the card in my possession and was still using it. The thieves went on a buying spree at CVS Pharmacy stores all in the New York city area. They kept their purchases less than $500 and made the over 30 purchases all within one hour time frame between 11:00 and Midnight. They bought gift cards and cigarettes according to CVS Fraud Prevention people.

How did it happen? Visa Fraud Prevention indicated my credit card numbers were probably stolen at a restaurant where the waitstaff takes your card and disappear for several minutes where there is ample time to swipe the card again for their own use. The number could have been stolen days, weeks or months earlier and sold on the internet. Its easy to make new credit cards once they have your numbers, according to my credit union.

Why didn't the fraud computers catch it. Well the thief knew the CVS computers didn't transmit CC numbers to VISA during that hour because they were off line backing up data. As soon as they did transmit my card info VISA froze the card, but by then it was too late.

Did I loose anything? No, all monies were immediately credited back to my CC account and 3 months later I got a letter indicating the mater was closed.

I have noticed that some restaurants are running credit cards right at the table instead of leaving the area and doing who knows what with them. I wish more did this.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #60

Glad it all worked out for you. Great ending. They need to make the punishment for this and other fraudulent activities much more severe.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I have noticed that some restaurants are running credit cards right at the table instead of leaving the area and doing who knows what with them. I wish more did this.
Interestingly, the only restaurant I have ever been in where the waitstaff swiped the card at the table was a place in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. I remember thinking it was ironic that they do that there, but not at home. It would be nice to see this become an accepted practice here in the states.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #62
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I heard on the news tonight that you are only liable for up to $50 on a credit card, but $500 on a debit card and they can clean out your acct before you notice it's gone.

Mine is shredded and in the trash as of an hour ago.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I heard on the news tonight that you are only liable for up to $50 on a credit card, but $500 on a debit card and they can clean out your acct before you notice it's gone.

Mine is shredded and in the trash as of an hour ago.
This is why I will never use my card as a debit. Don't even know how or if I even have a pin.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Glad it all worked out for you. Great ending. They need to make the punishment for this and other fraudulent activities much more severe.
I agree 100%. I was dismayed that no one ever contacted me or even gave me the idea they were honestly looking for the thieves. "We just turn this whole matter over to our insurance company and let them worry about it" was the credit union response. CVS told me "we will pull the surveillance tapes if the police so order us to do so". VISA asked me if I called the police. I said I would love to file a report IF VISA would assist me in identifying the correct department and they helped in the report. After all they were the ones out the $11 thousand, or so I thought at the time.They said "we will get back to you". And that was that.

Sad state of affairs I tell you, sad state of affairs.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I heard on the news tonight that you are only liable for up to $50 on a credit card, but $500 on a debit card and they can clean out your acct before you notice it's gone. Mine is shredded and in the trash as of an hour ago.
That depends on where you bank, Barb. I bank at an FCU that treats the CC and debit cards the same. And have never lost a dime. :-)

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #66
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
That depends on where you bank, Barb. I bank at an FCU that treats the CC and debit cards the same. And have never lost a dime. :-)
Thanks Dave, that's good to know. I bank at an FCU also. I rarely used the debit card anyway. I like the cash back bonus I get on my Discover card so I use it whenever I can.

When I was still employed I would make $500/year buying stuff for me, the boss lady and the company. Kinda like an extra bonus. But I am very disciplined about paying the full amount every month.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Target Hacker Fraud UPDATE !!!

Here is the latest news from Target on the ongoing investigation into the fraud that had recently hit them.

It now appears that PIN numbers were hacked also.

The article is lengthy so here's the link.

https://news.fidelity.com/news/news....sting.RT&IMG=Y

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got back from the bank where we got new cards. We had shopped at Target during the time frame of the theft, and while we have not seen any fraud on the account, we did not want to wait until somebody else made the decision for us. The bank was very good about issuing new cards and they were able to do so on the spot.
On a different note, I am afraid that the only way banks, retailers and the government will begin to take these thefts seriously is when the costs begin to exceed the amounts lost. Until then I believe it is just viewed as another cost of doing business.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
On a different note, I am afraid that the only way banks, retailers and the government will begin to take these thefts seriously is when the costs begin to exceed the amounts lost. Until then I believe it is just viewed as another cost of doing business.
Although I've never lost any money because of it, my cards have been compromised several times and each time I've been amazed at the attitude security has toward actually tracking down any of these creeps!

They don't even seem the least bit interested in looking into WHO did it!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

They don't even seem the least bit interested in looking into WHO did it!

Rick
That's because most of them are likely off-shore.

Dr4Film ----- Richard