Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The problem with Aspartame is that we do not know for sure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
All one has to do is to look at how widespread the use is and how any supposed catastrophic reaction has an incident distribution that is not correlated to the use of the product.

Anyone can determine this to at least figure out if a claim is reasonably possible or extraordinary.

It is true that nothing in life is absolutely certain. Using that kind of standard is not an indicator of a proper connection with reality.

The problem with trying to blame some disease on a product honestly is that you also have to account for the many others that used the product but did not get the disease. Then you also have to explain all of the many who do get the disease but did not touch the product.

It is one thing when an individual uses blaming something as a means to deal with personal tragedy. That is a well known behavior related to denial and grief.

But it is another when that personal problem becomes pushed on society at large in a fear mongering campaign. That causes untold stress and may, as in the vaccination/autism allegations, waste a whole lot of money trying to prove something that doesn't exist - money that could well be spent on something more profitable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Gentlemen, remember the rules of the forum and lets not turn this informative thread into something more personal than it needs to be. Thanks!

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:40 AM   #17

On three separate occasions I have had a severe reaction after drinking diet soda containing aspertame.The ingrediant list is often in very fine print and the use of aspertame is not always easy to find.
Since it was not approved for cooking originally cause it breaks down with heat why is it in everything now?(CHEAP TO USE?)
Bob
Old 09-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Neil V,
My original post was not to undermine the seriousness of your DW's condition. Please forgive me if you took it that way.

Every individual in the world is different and responds to substances differently. It is so unfortunate that the medical profession sometimes cannot determine what is the cause for some debilitating condition.

I personally think that the only thing doctors can do scientifically, and only sometimes, is operate on a person. All other diagnosis is speculation on their part based on prior experience. Example, person "A" comes in with a stomach ache and the doctor prescribes a medicine based upon a previous case where the medicine worked. Patient "A" recovers (maybe because of the medicine) Patient "B" comes in with same symptoms and medicine is prescribed based upon previous results. So I guess you would call it an "educated guess." (Sorry Doctors, just my opinion). If the medicine does not work, they 'try' something else that may have worked previously on someone else, but not as many people, and so on.

For every bad experience there may be a good experience. My DW ended up in the hospital with double pneumonia and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). The doctor showed me the xray and stated, "75 percent of people who have lungs like this do not survive." Broke my heart, but 10 days later she pulled out of it thanks to his care, and she's allergic to penicillin and sulfur, so the antibiotics had to be substitutes.

I really hope your DW is doing well.

God bless.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #19

I have a reaction to spartame. Splenda does not contain aspartame. My Chiropractor is the one who realized I had an intolerance to aspartame. Pulled me off it completely and I have gotten much better. It makes me very short tempered and iritable among other many things. David can tell if I have 1 (20 oz) bottle of Diet Dr Pepper (I love Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper tastes more like regular Dr Pepper).

Not every one reacts to the stuff. I have a cousin who gets "drunk" off of room temperature Diet Pepsi. She quit drinking it after we figured out that the Diet version was what did it. Now she knows about the aspartame and avoids it as well. So far, the two of us are the only ones in our family that has a reaction to aspartame. My kids automatically avoid it due to my reaction.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #20

I first heard of this in the 90's from a friend because I have Lupus and I drink diet Pepsi. Problem is I was diagnosed with Lupus prior to aspartame use as a sweetener.

I have to agree with Bryan L on this issue. I am also sensitive to UV light and cold, yup as in temperature. For me exposure to cold could be deadly. I carry an epipen for cold induced urticaria. A poison and an allergen differ by their methods of action. A common allergen today that causes huge problems is gluten, found in wheats etc.

Here is an excellent science based discussion on the subject which is easy to understand and may be informational for many.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question536.htm

BTW there has never been any correlation of lupus with aspartame and other autoimmune disorders. But there is a huge correlation of autoimmune diseases with heredity. Let's take Lupus, which is uncommon in men 10%. For aspartame to be the cause lupus then women must drink or consume 90% more aspartame then men. Also the incidence of lupus would have had to increase immensely after the intro of aspartame, it hasn't and equalize incidence in men and women, it hasn't.

What is interesting is that we can trace autoimmune disorders in our family from my fathers side, now through 4 generation and it usually effects the women.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why do you consider the statement that some people experience an allergic reaction to Aspartame extraordinary </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This thread started with "If It Says Sugar Free, Don't Touch It! -- Aspartame Disease ... There is an epidemic of multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, fibromyalgia, Alzheimer's disease across the country and the world."

Bringing in allergic reactions is a diversion from the original topic from the thread and that should lead to question about why.

But my comments regarding extraordinary claims were directed at the original post in this thread. However, allergies are also usually extraordinary by the meaning that they are not ordinary reactions. They only occur in a small subset of people. A small subset is not usually considered to represent 'ordinary.'

I am trying to be reasonable. I agree that some people have allergies and sensitivities that guide their choices about what to eat and what they can allow themselves to be exposed to. I agree that nearly everything we eat or drink may have bad effects if we consume too much or too little.

What is bothersome, and to me deserves calling out, is the FUD Mongering that calls for action that is out of line with readily observable reality and does not consider fact or context or implications; casting fear and doubt that has no basis or foundation. Appropriate caution and consideration is definitely a good thing but I have seen cases where the FUD Mongering such as started this thread has caused a fear to take rational and appropriate action and that has lead to death. That is not good.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #22

Jayco Owners Club
I try to never put anything in my mouth that wasn't available 10,000 years ago. Hostess Twinkies didn't come in plastic wrappers back then, did they?? Serious about the 10,000 years and kidding on the Hostess butt builders.
DonavonP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Human beings are all different and can be allergic to anything from shrimp and strawberries to pet dandruff. But there's this wonderful tool on the internet called SNOPES.COM

I'm not saying that people haven't had strange reactions to aspartame - I'm sure they have.

BUT - Pretty much any rumor or story that you hear can be proven or disproven by hard evidence and you can find that evidence by simply logging onto SNOPES.COM and they've done the research for you. Here's the link for this particular rumor:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

And it's not true.

Personally, I'll take my sugar or Agave over any chemical anyway.