Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #29

I think we got away from the original question - Yes, you should be able to recharge your boon-docking battery while driving. You should also be safe running from the coach battery for a night and letting it recharge while driving.

That said, I have one more comment on using the CPAP comfortably - I use a Contour brand CPAPMax pillow that is shaped to provide comfort for the mask. I get cranky if I forget to pack it for a trip. It is available at Amazon for 59.99 or directly from the company.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few notes.

Respironics machines used to need 120vac for the humidifier. The later model Remstar M Series units and the System One units have a 12 vdc humidifier.
Their term for BiPap is Cflex.
The newer machines with a 12 volt humidifier and the older units with the 120 vac humidifier will work fine on a modified sine wave 300 watt inverter. They do have 12 volt cords available.

Resmed used to require a true sine wave inverter. I haven't checked recently so don't know about now.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #31

Carolina Campers
I understand claustrophobic feelings, but If you have this type of problem, you should work out some way to get comfortable using the mask or the nasal pillows.

Please be aware that if you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and you do not using the prescribed CPAP or BPAP machine this can have truly scary consequences.

My mother-in-law felt very uncomfortable using her CPAP machine and therefore went about four years without it after being diagnosed with sleep apnea. Her sleep apnea was directly linked to subsequent serious heart problems that were life-threatening. She also developed Alzheimer type mental impacts and hallucinations. Once her Neurologist realized that she had been diagnosed with sleep apnea and was not being treated for it, he informed her that the sleep apnea could be directly related to all of her symptoms. She went back for another sleep study and subsequently was prescribed by CPAP machine. Using the CPAP machine almost immediately cleared up all of her heart and other Alzheimer like symptoms.

Thanks for listening,
Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #32

Has anyone tried the plastic mouth piece that's supposed to replace the cpap machine? It's supposed to realign the lower jaw to allow more air to be taken into the lungs, and stop snoring. Any thoughts?
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #33

Carolina Campers
I can only speak for myself but that would not work for me. My CPAP requires it to be set at a very high pressure just to keep my airways open. It is not just a matter of jaw alignment in my case.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Most electronic or medical devices, including CPAP machines require a pure sine wave inverter. They are slightly more expensive. The inverter could charge a spare battery from the vehicles alternator while on the road, and switch batteries overnight... May not need the generator at times...
My CPAP runs fine off the 2000 watt MSW inverter we have. I don't use the heater anymore so no problems.
A whole house SW inverter is about double the price of a MSW one. Newmar wouldn't install the SW inverters as none would guarantee them for three years like they would the MSW ones.
As to charging batteries from a generator: The output of most generator chargers is very low. Better to buy a good automotive style charger and run that off the generator. Out inverter has a 100 AMP charger built in so no problem for us.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #35

OP replies

Thanx everyone for your replies to my OP. You gave me the courage to try some of things that I had in my mind concerning boondocking with my CPAP.

Results of my trials so far:
1) My Respironics portable battery pack worked flawlessly for almost 3 full night of sleep. Can't find a model number on mine but one of the numbers on the battery is 1028869. Nothing on the paperwork or the machine gives a model number.
2) My Stanley J45C09 "jump starter" has provided power for over 2 nights so far. The machine has 450 amp instant starting power, 900 peak battery amps, a USB connection, 12 volt port, jumper cables, air pump, and light.

My CPAP is set at 13. I think I'm getting 9 -10 with the 12 volt setup.

I will now go on to step two of my tests when I get my MH back for the shop. I will hopefully recharge both battery packs using the house batteries on the coach. If the recharge works so simply, I have the CPAP while boondocking situation under control. I may find that I need to run the coach generator to accomplish the recharge. I'll tell you may progress as soon as I can.

Again, thanx to all of you. iRV2 is the spot for getting answers (and encouragement).
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Btw, our RV has a shelf on each side of the bed that our CPAP sits on nicely and we just plus it into the regular plug. We have never had any issue running both the CPAP machines all night, even when camped without shore power. If we have to run the generator to charge the batteries, it is more likely related to using the convection oven or other devices versus the CPAP machines.
The instructions that came with my last two units, I put the old one in the my when I got my new one, very carefully state that the CPAP with a humidifier must be placed below the sleepers bed level. There are times when you'll get a lot of condensation in the hose and if your unit is higher than your head, it'll run into your mask.
A little side note. I use an old hose as a down spout for the little gutter extension over the front door of the my my. It slides right on the ext and diverts the water away from dripping down on us going in and out in the rain. Just a small manufacturers design problem
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I got the nasal pillow a week ago .I have gone from 2hrs. per night to 5.3 and no more panic attacks.Just wake up because not tired . Now if I can get off the afternoon nap I might sleep all night .
For accessories try cpap.com lots of good info and prices there .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #38

That is wonderful. The oxygen content to your vital organs will also be good all night. I had to have open heart surgery and one of the reasons was sleep apnea. This can be a life changing deal for you. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I understand claustrophobic feelings, but If you have this type of problem, you should work out some way to get comfortable using the mask or the nasal pillows.

Please be aware that if you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and you do not using the prescribed CPAP or BPAP machine this can have truly scary consequences.

My mother-in-law felt very uncomfortable using her CPAP machine and therefore went about four years without it after being diagnosed with sleep apnea. Her sleep apnea was directly linked to subsequent serious heart problems that were life-threatening. She also developed Alzheimer type mental impacts and hallucinations. Once her Neurologist realized that she had been diagnosed with sleep apnea and was not being treated for it, he informed her that the sleep apnea could be directly related to all of her symptoms. She went back for another sleep study and subsequently was prescribed by CPAP machine. Using the CPAP machine almost immediately cleared up all of her heart and other Alzheimer like symptoms.

Thanks for listening,
Ted
Ted

OP: This may help...?

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/CPAP...ntellipap.html

I have used a CPAP (self titrating-auto adjust) since my sleep apnea was diagnosed in 2002. We were sharing a room in New Orleans (friends) and a dear friend of mine that just passed this past February was a Respiratory Therapist at the VA Medical Center in Dallas for 35 years at that time I was out sleeping, he was listening to my sleep and he told me the next morning 'child you have got terrible apnea, you need to go get a sleep study' I did and was having multiple episodes at night, O2 dropping to the 70's, heartbeat jumping to near 100 during my sleep, all unknown to me at the time. I was diagnosed with Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea (SOSA). Before that, I was so exhausted all the time, I had to nap at noon, and 2-3 hour naps on weekends just to function. Anyway, the past years and since I am on the cpap, I rarely take a nap anymore because my sleep is for the most part what its suppose to be, getting to the REM level.

I have several friends who complain constantly about their CPAP (all diagnosed with sleep apnea) about their mask, or they fling it off, can't stand it, can't keep an open nasal airway, can't get the mask to seat properly, on and on. They fall asleep at the drop of a hat, are exhausted when they get up in the morning, and spun up most of the time because they are not getting a good night's sleep, sleep deprivation can make a person as crazy as anything else. The simple fact is, if you aren't using it, you are increasing the risks of multiple high level events such as heart attack, stroke, etc. I needle them all the time about it, but it falls on deaf ears, much like my ears with my smoking. To each his own, but it is something I don't think people take serious enough when they are diagnosed.

Also, I have had people tell me 'well, I think you really do have sleep apnea, but it seems everyone has sleep apnea and I think they over diagnose' How trite and simple this is, you can't fake apnea, they can't fake the responses to the vitals or electrical impulses to the brain, if you are diagnosed with SA, you have it, it's not a designer pick and choose condition as some 'bubble' people believe, it is a serious condition if not diagnosed and treated.

I bought a new CPAP about 3 years ago and I love it, it's a Devilbiss and came with a 5 year warranty. The price was incredibly cheap compared to some of those monster cpaps out there. It does have an available backup battery one could use and the price is so low, it might be something one would buy to keep in the coach.

CPAP.com - IntelliPAP Plus CPAP Machine with SmartFlex

I do not have the heater, humidifier or the back up battery for sleeping without AC. The unit is very small and compact, easy to travel with. I cannot sleep without my box fan at night for noise, so I have to be hooked up to AC or have the genny running to sleep at night anyway.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #40

Lincolnboy, you are spot on concerning the effects of sleep apnea. My life changed 100% when I resigned myself to needing the CPAP machine.

Your advice can save someone's life. I woke up on day sitting at a traffic signal. The honking horns woke me up. I could have easily drifted into the intersection and got T-boned.

Folks - - heed your doctor's, friend's and spouse's advice. Get a sleep study.

Side note: 3 years ago (after being on my machine for 6-7 years) my machine was making a terrible racket so I wanted a new one. Before that was authorized, the insurance company required another sleep study.

I told the technician that there was no hope for me to go to sleep without my machine, but supposedly the insurance company required a comparative study. Well, after the longest night of my life (at 4:30 a.m.) the tech said "you drifted off for about 20 minutes. That will have to do". I got my new machine.

Next time a study is required, I'm going to sit in a comfortable chair in front of a tv and hope that my short nap is comparative enough. I'm not going to lay down and suffer through another night like that again.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #41

CPAP

I have been using my CPAP machine on battery power for about 10 years while hunting and camping. I simply have a dedicated Ultima, 55amp/hr deep cycle battery that I can also use for trolling (fishing). I like the Ultimas because, as advertised, they maintain their charge better than most, and, they are clean and easy to handle. I purchased clamps, male and female cigar lighter connectors, and a revolving turret battery plug unit from Radio Shack; I installed one end of the connector in a cabinet close to my bed, the battery I place on the floor next to my bed, but can be located anywhere (under the bed for example). These Ultimas are "work horses," for which I have managed to use up to 5 days (nights) before charging (no other accessories connected). I am usually somewhere where I can recharge within the 5 days; I just bought my 1998 Bounder that came with a 400W generator, but I haven't tried charging with it yet. Like others who responded, I cannot go to sleep without my CPAP, therefore, I don't want to mess around with Converters, Inverters, house batteries, etc, and take a chance that something may go wrong during the night. I tested this arrangement at home previously, so I know just how long I can go by daily measuring the battery voltage. Not as exotic a hook-up as some of the other suggestions, however, it is simple, and has never failed me in the 10 years I have been using the set up.

Sleep tight, Willis
willisclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
That is wonderful. The oxygen content to your vital organs will also be good all night. I had to have open heart surgery and one of the reasons was sleep apnea. This can be a life changing deal for you. Good luck.
I am a Quadruple bypass also .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote