Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Attention CPAP users

CPAP users will know about my dilemma.

I have to use my machine to sleep (unless it's a nap in my Lazy Boy). I purchased a battery for boondocking overnight use. I've never tried to recharge the battery pack using my generator while driving. Will the generator provide enough wattage to the electrical plugs to charge my battery pack for the second night in a row use of the battery pack?

Will the "cigarette" outlet provide ample power for an evening of sleep without draining the MH battery? If it does, I could sleep out on the couch to get some sleep with that set-up.

I'm heading for Alaska in late May, so I'm going to be testing some of these types of things. If these don't work, I'm going to be tied to at least 30 amp service in a campground.

Any experienced CPAP boondockers out there?

Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

I have a xPower 400w battery that I use. It will last 2-3 nights. I use a 12v cord. The last time I used it boondocking, it rechsrged to full from the truck outlet by noon.

My wife has a much smaller ( 2#) battery that lasts about the same. We have not tried charging it from the car.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

Exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for. I don't know the information of my battery. It's tucked away in the MH. I will certainly check.

Thanx
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #4

We use a Bi-Pap and a C-Pap. If you are going to be using an inverter you need at least a 400 watt unit. A 200 watt unit may work for some smaller units. If you have a heater in the C-Pap, that will add a little to the power needed. I bought a 1500 watt inverter and hook it up directly to the batteries and then run an extension cord to the two units. Works well. If you have a good battery like an AGM 110 amp hour unit, you can go for days with it depending on your other usage. You also need to look at your convert charger. They vary iin charging ability. Get a stepped one with an initial high charging rate.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #5

Since you are charging a Battery a 12 volt unit may be available, check with the manufacturer
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
We use a Bi-Pap and a C-Pap. If you are going to be using an inverter you need at least a 400 watt unit. A 200 watt unit may work for some smaller units. If you have a heater in the C-Pap, that will add a little to the power needed. I bought a 1500 watt inverter and hook it up directly to the batteries and then run an extension cord to the two units. Works well. If you have a good battery like an AGM 110 amp hour unit, you can go for days with it depending on your other usage. You also need to look at your convert charger. They vary iin charging ability. Get a stepped one with an initial high charging rate.
What's the difference between a CPAP and a BiPAP?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
CD

DW used her Cpap with a 300W inverter. We had no problems with no hookups. We charged the batteries the next day while traveling or with solar panel if parked.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #8

A C-Pap puts out continuous pressure to hold open the airway. When exhaling, you have to overcome that pressure. A Bi-Pap senses when you start to exhale with a little computer and reduces the pressure so exhaling is much easier. It is all the difference in the world for comfort. I think most of the newer machines are Bi-Pap types.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
DW used her Cpap with a 300W inverter. We had no problems with no hookups. We charged the batteries the next day while traveling or with solar panel if parked.
Thanx for the information. When traveling down the road, is your battery pack plugged into a "cigarette" lighter plug for recharging ?

Have you slept while plugged into a "cigarette" plug? Does it drain your batteries too much?

I'm afraid to experiment on seeing how long my machine can run on a single charge. I might try it and see since it sounds like I can go to the front of the coach and plug the machine into the "cigarette" plug.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
Thanx for the information. When traveling down the road, is your battery pack plugged into a "cigarette" lighter plug for recharging ?

Have you slept while plugged into a "cigarette" plug? Does it drain your batteries too much?

I'm afraid to experiment on seeing how long my machine can run on a single charge. I might try it and see since it sounds like I can go to the front of the coach and plug the machine into the "cigarette" plug.
DW did not have a battery pack. She just used the "cigarette lighter" with a 300w inverter. Our slide-in camper had one 12V battery but was also connected to the PU (2) batteries. The TT has 2 6V golf cart batteries and usually isn't hooked to the PU. You might run a test at home. Plug in the Cpap in the RV in the morning and let it run 10/12 hrs with no hookup to outside power. Then check batteries with volt meter every 2 hrs to see how they are doing. I don't think that would hurt the Cpap and you would know how much batteriy it needs.
DW had Gastrc Bypass surgery about 3 years ago (lost about 100lbs) and now doesn't use the Cpap. Now she is free of a bunch of weight and the machine plus she now only needs a fraction of the insulin she was using.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

One major thing would be if you use the humidifier/heater as far as battery usage I would think. I have never tried using bpap machine without humidifier. I use the generator I have extreme case I'm not going to shut my eyes without machine on.
So either plugged in or generator I don't think battery's would last all night with machine heater/humidifier and heated hose all going. My 2 cents.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Most electronic or medical devices, including CPAP machines require a pure sine wave inverter. They are slightly more expensive. The inverter could charge a spare battery from the vehicles alternator while on the road, and switch batteries overnight... May not need the generator at times...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
CD

How about plugging Cpap battery into a small inverter (such as 300W) while using Cpap. Should make the battery last a lot longer. The small inverters are inexpensive. I think they are under $50 @ Home Depot.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #14

My theory is - avoid the invertor. You are converting 12 to 120 just to convert it back. DW and I both have 12v cords and plug into the 12v recepticles for our battery packs. We have used the 12v house battery for 2 night but you are competing with lights, etc.

Our 12v cords cost about $50. DWs battery pack cost about $200 with the cord and designed specifically for her machine.

Our charging cord is just a double end male junper that came with my battery.