Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Attn. Campground owners

We are considering purchasing a campground and had some questions. Is there a forum dedicated to CG owners? Anyone who feels like answering questions or giving advise, please pm.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know you have to make ends meet, been in business myself. My thought is keep your rate's reasonable enough to make a good living and make people want to come. It is my thought a reasonable priced full campground is more bill paying friendly than a 1/4 full high dollar one. JMHO Jim

Old 02-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
I know you have to make ends meet, been in business myself. My thought is keep your rate's reasonable enough to make a good living and make people want to come. It is my thought a reasonable priced full campground is more bill paying friendly than a 1/4 full high dollar one. JMHO Jim
I certainly understand, this is not my first business venture. The problem is that what folks consider reasonable is not always profitable. The particular CG we are looking at is at 55% capacity and it barely is in the black. (Only open 6mos.) The challenge is to fill it without spending a fortune or raising rates.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where is it (State or if very large state what part, Example "Lower Michigan") and what are the current rates for 50 amp full hookup?

From this we have a starting point for comment.

Next is what does the park offer other than Parking? Where I'm at right now the answer is "Not much" but then i am paying like 50/month to use this park 2/3 of that time (membership) Come summer they have a bit more... But usually I'm elsewhere.. (This year will be different).

What all parks with regular customers have and this is teh reason I still have one membership.. FRIENDS. now those, are worth more than anything.

Oh, side note: Recently a thread about this membership chain,,, The poster said of all the parks in this chain he'd been in this one was the worst.. And I do admit the hills are steep, the sites tight, and there are a few other issues that would be nearly impossible to fix.... (Would require closing the park and doing major landscaping of the bulldozer and leveling hills & Filling in valleys type).

But.. . OF all the parks both membership and other I have visited, this chain tends to have the friendlist staff.. And of all the parks in the chain, this park is #1 in that regard... So here I park.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #5

Our CG in central Indiana is $1,350 a season which is for April to early October. (About 70% of the campground are full seasonals, no park models) Electric is extra (metered). Nightly is $25 - $35. Iffy wifi. Cable tv can be arranged thru Comcast.

Several "work campers" that mow, run bingo, organize activities, lead campers to their lots, read the meters, etc.

Families like a pool and playground. Adults like very good, reliable wifi. Enforcement of park rules are essential to attract and keep your regulars.

Staff needs a happy face even on "bad" days. Put up cheerful signs in the office like: "Complaint department-----> 200 miles" "Being a grump costs you $10 extra" "Quiet hours 11:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m. Use your only warning wisely"

Be sure you're findable. Have a website and advertise in at least two major books.

Good luck if you go for it.
Papawto5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #6

We have regulars that think $1,350 a season is outrageous. They haven't camped in Indio, CA. LOL We have close to 375 sites. All rentals are due by the second week of April. The owners don't allow you to camp until June (having put $150 down) and then slip out in the middle of the night.

So with work campers that work for free lot rent, the owners limit their overhead and start the summer with $500 K in the bank.
Papawto5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #7

If your potential rv park is in a flood zone be damn careful. as of Dec 1st 2013 Fema quit subsidizing flood insurance. I live in a park on the Oregon coast. There are many RV Parks for sale but no buyers as flood insurance would be more than the payments on the property. If you are an existing business or homeowner in the floodplane your flood insurance will increase by 20% per year for the next 5 years. If you are a new buyer of land you will not have the 5 years you will have 0 subsidy I know of a man that that purchased a beach house with only 2 bedrooms and at closing found his flood insurance was increased to 10,000 dollars per year first installment due at closing. Needless to say he walked away. Unless you are aware of this you will get stuck. This is not just on the Oregon Coast it is nationwide not only oceanfront or river front property but anywhere flood insurance is manditory. The only way to get around it is have cash to buy the property and self insure. Check it out before you buy. Your realtor may not tell you if it takes food off his table. Fortunately a realtor told me not to buy a piece of riverfront property.

Here is a link:http://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/videos/84723
Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #8

flood insurance for home on ground here in the Florida keys went from $1800 to nearly $7000 per year. Thank GOD it's paid for and could cancel the insurance. Flood insurance is mandatory on all mortgages here
Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The closest Forums here to ones about CampGrounds are:
Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports - iRV2 Forums
And
Main Index - iRV2.com Campground Reviews

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixguy View Post
We are considering purchasing a campground and had some questions. Is there a forum dedicated to CG owners? Anyone who feels like answering questions or giving advise, please pm.

Thanks in advance.
I'm sure you have done your homework,there are some many people that buy themselves a minimum wage job.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #11

Looks like you got lots of advice but no one came up with campground owner sites for you. Guess there isn't any around. Sounds like a losing deal anymore to become a owner of a campground. Did you mean to buy a lot on a campground or purchase an entire campground and run it?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #12

There is this(some info, not much):
RV park and Campground Owners/Managers - RV Forums - myRVparks.com
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a forum at RVParkReviews.com. It's not very active, but there are a few park owners who post occasionally. RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #14

A very important factor in a RV park is location, location, location.

You would like to be about 100 miles from two or three major cities, and be in beautiful mountains or on a beautiful lake. Landscaping is very important.

I am spoiled camping in the North Georgia mountains. But an area short on nice commercial campgrounds is Western North Carolina. All of the good campgrounds are on the Tennessee side of the Smokies--rather than the North Carolina side.