Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #1

A Buddy of mine back East sent me this today,READ CAREFULLY !

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".

3. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.

Unfortunately I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all : (I never even thought to do this.)

3. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc., has been stolen:
1.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271
2.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
3.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
4.) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

We pass along jokes on the Internet. We pass along just about everything. But if you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help someone that you care about.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #2

A Buddy of mine back East sent me this today,READ CAREFULLY !

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".

3. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.

Unfortunately I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all : (I never even thought to do this.)

3. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc., has been stolen:
1.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271
2.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
3.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
4.) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

We pass along jokes on the Internet. We pass along just about everything. But if you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help someone that you care about.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #3

I am grateful for the info.We practice some of what you posted and will do the others.We have been fortunate.My sister was the victim of credit fraud.The pos girl that did it worked for the bank the credit card was associated with.She did it to a few people.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:04 PM   #4

Good scoop. Thanks for passing it on. Art
Old 07-30-2005, 08:06 PM   #5

.....Citi bank has a credit card with your picture on it....I never provide any more info than My picture ....or I call the store manager and have him verify my pix....NEVER NEVER NEVER give out your Social Number.....I got hit in '97 took a year to get everything under control....lost about $17.00 total out of nearly $17k in fraud charges....once it happens to you-it takes years to get straightened out.....If they want any more info I refuse and go elsewhere.....it's my money they want. I did cancel a $5000 kitchen remodel when the cashier and store manager refused to put a 50' garden hose on the charge as I was leaving a Home Depot after signing up for the kitchen.....OH Well- I can't fix stupid.....geofkaye
Old 08-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Several stores now have signs saying they will not accept a card with no signature..so we are back to signing them.

I am surprised at how many of my clients have their SS numbers right on their checks.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't sign the back of your credit card and it gets stolen, the perpetrator gets a fake ID made up with your name and his picture on it then the signature he places on the sales slip will match the ID and the picture will be a dead ringer.

IMHO, leaving the signature off is a moot point.

I buy everything I can on one credit card and pay it off monthly. Probably a several hundred transactions yearly. Back in 2003 a Lowe's employee actually looked at the back of my credit card and matched the signatures. I complimented her, told her she was the first one who had done that in over two years. It hasn't happened again anywhere but if and when someone actually looks at it again, I'll compliment that person for doing their job too.

Are they looking at the back of your credit cards?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #8

I don't understand why credit cards can't be setup to require a PIN like a debit card. That sure would help.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #9

.....'cuz a sholder-surfer can get your pin as you use it[I never use a DEBIT Card-It only benefits the banks]....get a pix card and If someone gives you a hard time....WALK OUT and go spend your money somewhere else- I had with a ton of gerccerys at BIGGS!-I guess they had to put it back on the shelf.....And NEVER NEVER NEVER give out your Social Security to anyone for any reason.....mine was stolen in an ambulance or hospital[probably hospital].....case still open because it was over $10,000.....anything else the Secret Service will not bother to chase the perp....."cost too much to prosecute"....[only will cost ME 23.5 cents USA to.............]anyway I won't give out my D.L either-I don't give anything to anyone except the credit card-with my smiling face!....'course I have been a victium of ID theft....so I don't cooperate anymore than absolutely necesssary. I bought 250 gallons of Fuel in Shephardsville Ky AMOCO and the woman insisted on my D.L.....guess what-I told her to call the COPS because she refused to give my credit card back with out my D.L....COPS came and looked at my D. L. and off I went....playhardball It could happen to you and it will take a year to get it straightened out.....unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands-and like to talk to idiots/write letters to credit card companies and be on hold for hours.....geofkaye
Old 08-02-2005, 03:28 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I never use a DEBIT Card-It only benefits the banks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually debit cards make your checkout process much quicker than writing a check, and if you use a PIN number with your debit card the transaction cost the merchant less to process than using it as a visa or MC transaction with signature.
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KAYERIVERCITY:
.....[I never use a DEBIT Card-It only benefits the banks]....And NEVER NEVER NEVER give out your Social Security to anyone for any reason..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does a debit card only benefit the banks? It costs me nothing extra to use my debit card (with my pic & sig on the FRONT). And if you get a driver's license from GA, then your DR lic Number IS your SS number! That's a bit dangerous to me. I refused to put my SS number on any checks or my Dr license (optional in TN). I also don't have my phone number on my checks. The more info the stores have to ask for the harder it is to pass one of my checks. But I think that I will switch over to initials although my sig is different than the name on my checks.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:16 PM   #12

Nope.

In Georgia, they ask you when renewing if you want your SSN as your drivers license number. When I renewed 8 years ago (or more), the examiner asked and I said no. They gave me a new number
HeatAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:15 AM   #13

Well apparently not every one in GA knows that. Two summers ago I was talking to a GA resident about the Dr Lic # and it was his SS #. He told me that he had no choice it was how GA did things. But then maybe that is what his Dr lic exam office told him. I know I have been told many things by "local" state offices that are simply untrue.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #14

.....the more info you give out the easier it is to rip you off.....Happened to me when in the hospital[97].....Debit cards only speed up the process that the bank uses to process the transaction....you don't get the advantage of float time/only once a month billing & payment like I have done for 28 years....I pay NO interest or any other charges of any kind....I use their money not the other way around......If you go into a bank-an electronic funds transfer costs you money[service fee] and if you use a debit card [the same system ]uses your debit card to deduct/transfer from/to your account instantly-If your debit card is misused you have only recourse against the bank and they are slow to get you a refund......very very very slow. If I have a stolen check my insurance company takes care of the mess....I learned this the hard way.....Also if you have a line of credit attached to your Debit card-a misused card is deducted from your account and your line of credit....best of luck getting that mess straightened out.....geofkaye