Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #1

Auto insurance low ball quotes, to good to be true?

My insurance agent is always trying to get me to switch insurance company's.
The rates they come up with are tempting, always less than half of what I'm paying now.
What is your experience with switching for a low rate and than next year the rates go up significantly?
I always see the ad's to switch and save, do you do better switching or not?
RVForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #2

I got a quote for the RV from Geico which has my 2 cars and it was about half of my GMAC. I didn't take it, but I am going to really give it some serious consideration in 6 months when it comes up again. I had one claim with Geico on my wife's car and they were great. I didn't need a rental car and they kept trying to give me one.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #3

Your independent insurance agent gets a larger commission when you switch to a new insurance company. As the years pass, the commission reduces on a sliding scale, then he finds you a new low-ball price. Quoting you a "low-ball price" gets the agents foot in the door. Now there is nothing wrong with this practice, it's just complicated and secretive to us laymen.
All insurance companies are equally highly regulated as to what services they provide.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #4

So they do this to increase their income, not really looking out for me the customer.
Then do my rates increase the next renewal time, more premium, more commission type of thing?
RVForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVForever View Post
So they do this to increase their income, not really looking out for me the customer.
Then do my rates increase the next renewal time, more premium, more commission type of thing?
Yes, yes, and yes.

When you jump from insurer to insurer it doesn't look good and you may find yourself re-rated at renewal time. If your credit rating slips, you'll be non-renewed or renewed at a much higher rate. If your neighborhood is deteriorating due to a large number of foreclosures, your auto rates will go up.

If there's a way to justify raising your rates that will pass muster with the state insurance commissioner, you can bet the farm your rates will go up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
My experience is that all insurance companies raise rates over time. Whenever a policy is up for renewal, I always shop it. That being said, no one comes close to my auto policy with Progressive (and I check with 3 or 4 others before renewing).

I have had 3 insurance companies in 3 years for the motor home. I saved hundreds by switching to number 2 and about 10% switching to number 3. Next year, I'll shop again.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #7

i got quotes from 6 different companies. progressive beat all by 400.00.

2004 CRYSLER PT CRUISER TOAD
lostone65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #8

I had Alstate road insurance; first year $74.00 renewel next year $114.00; I called and told them if they could give me the insurance for the $74.00 i'd renew; they said the couldn't; so I went with another company. since then I've had no less than a dozen calls from Alstate quoting me the $74 dollar price. If they couldn't give it to me then I ask them, why now. i don't get an answer.
i got one today from Alstate; trying to get me and was going to give me the first three months for only $1.00. I hung up.
They think once they got you signed up you will stay; the smart money says ---sorry by. dang these people irritate me.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I would be REAL careful with an agent that switches you from one company to the other. Do you know the rating on each company he switches you to? How would they handle a claim? I would to to an agent/or company that sells only 1 insurance. Like State Farm, USAA, Allstate, Geico. You don't need your agent messing around trying to look out after himself and not you. State Farm is very competitive, surprisingly. Also USAA is you quality.

Remember cheap insurance isn't the only thing important. You want a company that will be there for you in the event of a claim.
krnlueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:48 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have always been leery of an agent who represents many companies like that .. I dont like swapping insurance companies ..

We have been with Farmers since the early 90's , have had a couple small claims of a few thousand dollars , then in May '07 , the house burned to the ground , nothing left .. We had the house money in four business days , and the contents money in a couple weeks .. And when we rebuilt on the same site , they reissued our policy on the new home ..

The MH is with Progressive , and the Harleys are with Dairyland .. Had Dairyland before Farmers and Farmers couldnt touch the Progressive rate on the MH .
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote