Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

Automatic Transfer Switch Question

Automatic Transfer switch
Why not just put a female plug in place of the Automatic Transfer switch and plug into it when not hooked to shore power just wondering
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I could be mistaken, but I think that's how many older RVs operated. I think the "automatic" function added convenience but also complexity.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Automatic Transfer switch
Why not just put a female plug in place of the Automatic Transfer switch and plug into it when not hooked to shore power just wondering
You can do just that. In fact like Rick said the manual way was the accepted way to get 'er done for years and still is on some RV's. The ATS has become more prevalent because we're getting lazier
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I could be mistaken, but I think that's how many older RVs operated. I think the "automatic" function added convenience but also complexity.

Rick
You are not mistaken,, I call that a "Poor man's transfer switch" by the way

Actually it is a very good and workable alternative to the modern "Automatic" switch

Page 2:

IF you go this route, and you also park your Generator equipped RV at your house, put in a good GENERATOR TRANSFER panel on the house, complete with inlet and make up a cord that adapts from the RV to the HOUSe and is long enough to make the trip (plus 5 feet for safety)

Switch: Expensive
Installation: likewise
Heavy duty flexable cord: Yet again

Warm happy wife: Priceless
Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Winnebago Aspect has the "poor man's transfer switch". I wouldn't have it any other way, one less thing to worry about.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
My Winnebago Aspect has the "poor man's transfer switch". I wouldn't have it any other way, one less thing to worry about.
No kidding. The "automatic" switch still requires that care be taken when changing power sources and I've often thought that a manual connection would be better when all things are considered.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Rodney,

My '92 and my '99 were exactly like that, as most older RVs. There's enough ATS failures on here that makes me glad I don't have one. I don't understand the convienience though. You have to go to the elec bay to plug into shore and to put the cord back anyway, so what's the big deal to plug it in.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

I was just wondering if there was a technical reason for it I was thinking about the previous post about using the generator for the house if I lose power it would be easy if it was a plug
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
I was just wondering if there was a technical reason for it I was thinking about the previous post about using the generator for the house if I lose power it would be easy if it was a plug
Rodney, we did exactly that last summer when we had no power for 40+ hours. Brought the MH home and ran a heavy duty extension cord through a window in the house to power the fridge and the fish tanks. On the MH I plugged the extension cord in to the outlet by the outside stereo. It ran non-stop for 30+ hours and saved the day. It would not have made any difference if it were a transfer switch or RV plug, I was not "backfeeding" the house circuit, just running extension cords. All we wanted to do was save our fishies and the food in the fridge and have some light.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #10

I put an automatic transfer switch in my 5er so I wouldn't have to go out in the rain and switch the plug if I wanted to run my Honda 2000 generator instead of my onboard propane eating Generac.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I put an automatic transfer switch in my 5er so I wouldn't have to go out in the rain and switch the plug if I wanted to run my Honda 2000 generator instead of my onboard propane eating Generac.
Can you start the Honda from inside too??
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #12

If it's raining, the Honda is in my 20' enclosed and if I ran it, it would be with the doors open and an exhaust fan running.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #13

Not really sure BUT I think an ATS failure did $2500 dollars worth of damage to my generator. I got rid of the $50 ATS and wired the generator to a reqeptacle in the electrical bay, at a campground, unplug from the generator and plug into the camprground service. Headed back on the road, unpug the shore line and as I store it in the MH electric bay I plug it into the generator. FOOLPROOF.
Sold that old 93 and just picked up a 2008 with only 9000 miles on it.
Came on here and googled ATS swithes, wow, I thought I was the only one to have experienced a problem like that.

Next order of business is to remove the ATS and wire the new modern MH as per the old fashioned ones, and sleep well at night

STEVE
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to lamigra
"Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......"

YEE HA! I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS!
lamigra is offline   Reply With Quote