Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob, I hear you. I was just replying autonomous technology.

No, it doesn't kick up speed but you can override it by depressing the gas pedal, then release the pedal and it will return to cruise speed. Nope! No chore to turn on the whipers, but it is a 1 second distraction or longer when you reach for it, but still most of us have been doing it for years. I don't remember the sequences, I just leave them turned on. I know where to go to turn them off should I want to, or have to. I have been in radio communications for the better part of my life so remembering where buttons, or electronic digital inputs, are is a simple task for me.

Again, I was just expounding on autonomous vehicles as a coming thing of the future, possibly.

As for impressing other riders, I got off of that kick many years ago. I don't even give the automation a second thought. It's just there. I know many may do that and I understand why. It's like showing off a new RV when one purchases it. It's not that they go off soliciting people to come in and see, but those that are in awe are given a first hand tour. Same with electronics.

You mention old vehicles. One of my earlier vehicles was a 1950 Studebaker, standard transmission with overdrive. To use the over drive you had to pull out a "T" bar handle to engage it. One of the features was that when you came to a stop on an incline you could let out the clutch just a little ways and it would hold the vehicle in that position, making it easier to start forward on a hill.

The 2013 Lincoln MKX has a basic feature like that. When you stop on an incline and are ready to go forward you can let go of the brake and the vehicle will stay in that position for 3 seconds (although I have never timed it, it is what the manual states.)

A '55 Olds I had had a bar on the front of the radio. Depending on which side of the bar you touched would make it scan in that direction for the next available radio station. So scanning technology goes back some.

Technology is always changing. Is it good or bad? Personally I think they should have a motion detector in cell phones to keep people from texting when they are moving, say at more than 2 mph, but even then when walking they are dangerous also. Is that technology available? I'll bet it is.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was driving my boss to the OKC airport a few years ago in her '02 BMW X-5. As usual, she was about to miss her flight so I was pushing the 60mph speed limit to about 69.5 and changing lanes when some watery white substance covered the windshield, totally obscuring the view thru the windshield. Before I could react, the automatic wipers came on and cleared the view just in time for me to see that I was headed off the hiway and into the median.

Had we not been in a car with that technology we probably would have had an accident, and for sure she would have missed her flight. It was a beautiful sunny, but bitter cold winter day. The wipers remained on automatic from days earlier when they were turned on to clear the snow flurries off.

Autonomous technology has my vote.

okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My '12 Focus has some of this stuff. Automatic wipers, automatic lights, etc. It has the Hill Start Assist (HSA) feature that holds position on hills when transitioning from brake to accelerator, etc. The manual says oil doesn't need to be changed until my car TELLS me to (or 10,000 miles). Mine doesn't, but some models have the adaptive cruise control that slows down and speeds up based on what's in front of you. For a less than $20k car, it has a surprising amount of technology AND it's towable 4-down without modification (which is why I bought it).
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #18

Some how I don't think Nissan had automatic wind shield wipers, rain sensors for the sun roof, or lights that come on by them selves at dark in mind when they announced an " autonomous vehicle" . Yes we all have lots of "automatic" things on our vehicles but I dont think they could be considered autonomous.
To me an autonomous vehicle would be one where at a minimum it would steer itself down the highway, at its best you would plug in the destination and then sit back with your iPad and check out the latest YouTube videos.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Paul, That's the point I think. The technology of today is pointing the way. They hae already tested cars that would steer themselves but it relied on a specially "marked" center strip. To costly to do the Interstate system - but someday.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #20

none of this will require the "smart highways" that the DOT spent som much money on. the manufacturers aren't going to put thier fortunes at risk waiting for the government to put a bunch of new technology in a a crumbling infrastructure they can't maintain already.

All this will be done with imaging, RF, and ultrasonics. The GPS won't be used to get you lost based on wrong addresses - it will be used with the imaging devices as a cross check to maintain your position in the lane.

The real advantage to autonomous cars is that you'll be able to dramatically reduce the amount of space between cars, increasing road capacity.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
none of this will require the "smart highways" that the DOT spent som much money on. the manufacturers aren't going to put thier fortunes at risk waiting for the government to put a bunch of new technology in a a crumbling infrastructure they can't maintain already.

All this will be done with imaging, RF, and ultrasonics. The GPS won't be used to get you lost based on wrong addresses - it will be used with the imaging devices as a cross check to maintain your position in the lane.

The real advantage to autonomous cars is that you'll be able to dramatically reduce the amount of space between cars, increasing road capacity.
This is what I am talking about no government infrastructure required. The Google car already has over 1.7 million miles
Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Warnings of position in a lane are already available on cars. If you stray it vibrates the wheel, so I'm told by my son that has one on his 2013 Ford Fusion. How much would it take to make it steer itself, I don't know, nor how long before it is every implemented.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #23

I haven't heard of this yet but I wonder if anyone has considered adding a camera inside pointed at the driver. Not only could "computer vision" detect when the driver was nodding off, or not keeping his eyes on the road ahead, but it just might be the only workable way of preventing "testing" while driving. If it "sees" the driver operating a phone with one hand, it could give warning and perhaps gradually slow down, but perhaps better, the car could automatically send the police an email that it's driver had "texted" while driving and even include a photo.

I've not heard of any other workable solution to the texting problem.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
I haven't heard of this yet but I wonder if anyone has considered adding a camera inside pointed at the driver. Not only could "computer vision" detect when the driver was nodding off, or not keeping his eyes on the road ahead, but it just might be the only workable way of preventing "testing" while driving. If it "sees" the driver operating a phone with one hand, it could give warning and perhaps gradually slow down, but perhaps better, the car could automatically send the police an email that it's driver had "texted" while driving and even include a photo.

I've not heard of any other workable solution to the texting problem.
I posted one a while back, and was glad to have my asbestos kilt on when I did.

It went something like this:

All modern phones have GPS and so can detect the speed they are moving. If the phone is moving more than 5mph, texting is automatically disabled. When the phone is stationary for more than 1.5 minutes, texting is re-enabled. For ALL passengers, driver included.

Problem solved.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I posted one a while back, and was glad to have my asbestos kilt on when I did.

It went something like this:

All modern phones have GPS and so can detect the speed they are moving. If the phone is moving more than 5mph, texting is automatically disabled. When the phone is stationary for more than 1.5 minutes, texting is re-enabled. For ALL passengers, driver included.

Problem solved.
But that would prevent passengers, whether in a car, bus, train, etc., from texting. I doubt many would find that acceptable.

The camera approach could also photograph car thieves (facial recognition for authorized drivers, photo and email police for anyone else).
Old 09-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
But that would prevent passengers, whether in a car, bus, train, etc., from texting. I doubt many would find that acceptable.

The camera approach could also photograph car thieves (facial recognition for authorized drivers, photo and email police for anyone else).
And how many consumers would find their car snapping pictures of them and sending them to the police acceptable?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They already have cars that warn you if you are tailgating and can even auto-brake if you continue to close.

As for GPS getting people lost.. NO IT DOES NOT.

Bad map data gets people lost.. Most GPS units are not just a GPS. but a GPS/MAP combination and it is the MAP that is bad, not the GPS.

Mine once showed me running cross country smashing fences and tearing up farmer's fields.. But it was asphalt under my wheels.

I trust my brain the GPS is an aid.

Another GPS, after I told it "TRUCK ROUTE" put me in a national forest (no commerical vehicles allowed forest) .. I might add.. Been there, lost an awning, do not wish to return.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Systems could be set up to detect what type of vehicle you are in and limit the texting via that technology.