Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Avoid this town in Florida

I am amazed at the corruption revealed here. Certainly would be prudent to exercise caution traveling near this town.

After audit reveals corruption, Florida town's days could be numbered
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Sounds like their days should be numbered.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #3

Looks like there is trouble in the Hampton's.
mgjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #4

Always amazes me that things like this go un noticed until it's millions stolen ?
Detroit ? Illinois ? City in California where millions were stolen.
Dosen't anyone attend these board town meetings or ask questions ?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
It's too bad that Hampton and the other two speed trap towns in the area do what they do to motorists. US 301 is a nice alternative when driving to and from the central part of Florida except for those towns.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Speed trap ahead

I like running down 301 but the constant change in the speed limit is a little frustrating. BUT I love the sign that says " speed trap ahead" and guess what --- it is. What is fun is slowing down early and having some idiot pass you only to be pulled over by the cop waiting in the bushes.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #7

I don't think you will have any trouble. The area along US 301 was annexed by Hampton for the purpose to write moving violations to all who exceeded the unlawful 45 mph posting. Around 2005, the state couldn't do anything about the annexation but could fix the speed trap issue. A traffic light was installed at 301 and CR 221, Hampton's Main Street. The state removed the 45 MPH signs and replaced them with 55 MPH signs along with a reduce speed speed warning approaching the 55 zone and traffic light. I go through there about 3-4 times a month and have not witnessed any Hampton Police activity in the past 3-4 years. You had better pay a lot more attention to the speed limits in Lawtey about 13 miles north or Waldo, 7 miles south. They are real speed traps marked with orange warnings.. If you get a ticket then shame on you.
Hampton, one year wrote $600,000 in traffic violations along 301 which they spent on SUV's and tactical police garb. And the Mayor is in jail for selling dope.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #8

Sounds like the plotline of a new Redneck movie. Sad that my home state harbors such a place.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #9

Go slow see our town, go fast see our judge !
Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #10

In typical Florida fashion, the government was not concerned that they had a speed trap. Only that they were mis-appropriating the money.

If they were using the money to improve the town, or the water system, then it would have been A-OK with Florida that they lie-in-wait to prey on the public.

No action planned to address the traps in Lawtey or Waldo. Disgusting. Glad I moved out of that dreadful place.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #11

The other two speed traps on 301 are north of Hampton called Waldo & Lawtey. Both noth od Starke.
Waldo there is a steep ovepass in the 45 zone & you give it alittle more gas to maintain speed, Then when you peak the crest you end up doing 50 or more & so get that ticket.
Lawtey use to be really bad. 55 to a 45 then one block of 35. So even if you had slowed to 45 you would get a ticket for 10mph over the speed limit in that 35. Several years ago, I think it was JEB Bush, the governor removed that 35 zone.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #12

I guess I won't be going there anyway, as it's east of the rockies, where I don't go.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
We have a son living in Hampton and every time we tell him we are coming to visit he reminds us to watch our speed and not go over posted limits in any of the towns in that part of Florida. Being doing that for some 20 years now.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Florida passed a law to address this a few years back. 0 to 5 mph over the limit for speeding is no longer an offense. This was passed just to combat these clowns. Has to be 6 and above.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida