Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Awing shade for electric awnings

I recently purchased a Class motor home with a curb side slide and electric awning. It has a Dometic weather pro electric awning. With a curb side slide the awning does not provide the same shaded sitting area as my previous manual awning. So I found Shade Pro offering a awning shade for electric awnings. They offer a two part shade the top part slides into the tube and stay on and you zipper the bottom portion. when you retract the awning you remove the lower portion and the upper part rolls up with the awning, seems great and you can zipper the lower portion from the ground with out using a ladder.

I contacted Dometic via email and of course they do not recommend anything to be attached to the awning in the event the awning retracts either automatically or by accident.

My question is this a quality product and is the idea a sound one i.e. rolling up the upper portion doesn't hurt anything. any input would be appreciated the reviews have all been positive.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No body has any experience with electric awnings and sunshades

Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I use an awning shade and an awning side shade. I do not roll the awning shade up with the awning. I have no experience with the zippered shades so I can not say if it would cause any stress on the fabric (zipper against awning material when rolled up). I can say that many people use awning shades and they can be a great addition to your outside living pleasure. I would recommend getting at least a 85% sun block rating if you get one.

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Old 09-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We use the zippered awning that you are talking about on our coach. Our awning is high off the ground and requires the short section that stays on the awning to be a 2 foot section. We have no problem with this rolling up with the regular awning.We don't always attach the bottom section unless we are staying for awhile and its not too windy.
When we go to Florida I attach the bottom part of the shade and use bungee cords to stake it out and it makes a very nice large shaded porch.
I tuen the awning off so the awning does not try to roll up and I do need to keep a close eye on the weather for any pop-up storms that may cause high winds.
If it does get windy I can just unzip,let it fall to the ground and then retract the awning. Real simple.
We have used it for almost 2 yrs now and really like it.You should have no problems!

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
No body has any experience with electric awnings and sunshades
"SO SPEAKETH Genandea"
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
comment to stik comment I was just amazed on all the views and no responses, thanks Gene
Old 09-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #7

We have a Dometic electric awning. We turn off the automatic retract feature and have a six foot drop Shade Pro screen. The six foot screen goes into the clamshell cover very nicely. Our awning extends seven feet from the coach, so six feet allows for complete retraction.

This is one of the nicest (easy) additions we have made. Ours is 19 feet wide and was about $120.

We recommend the Shade Pro screens.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #8

just a follow up......

This is what ours looks like. We use the tent pegs provided to stake it out a little to get some extra room. Now that we have it, we would not like to do without it.

HTH.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3481.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	106325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3482.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	106326  

Old 09-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

Just a couple notes to add to what has already been noted.

Our awning is lower to the ground than the one pictured above, and I am able to stake out the shade further that increases the shaded footprint. Also, given our awning is lower, even just the 2' section that stays attached provides quite a bit more shade if we do not attach the larger section. And given my seating potion, just that 2' piece can provide a big reduction in glare on the outside TV screen, which of course the full shade helps tremendously too.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:48 AM   #10

As we said, the fix foot section shown stays attached and rolls up with the awning. We could add more sections, but have not bothered. I had the two end stakes pulled around to give more evening shade, but that does reduce the open space somewhat.

Your mileage may vary....................

Tom

Tags
awning