Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Awww... Isn't that a cute little mouse?

DW and I went out tonight to our MH stored in our back driveway area to start getting things ready for an upcoming trip in 2 weeks. Since we had not completely unpacked from our last trip the place where we started was the back closet. Pulled out the drawer with my shoes in it and find a suspicious little black pill. Ok, I could have tracked it in I say optimistically... DW opens cabinet where we keep folding chairs and other tall stuff, which is also open to the closet and does away with my optimism. More little black pills. Ok, time for all out search and clean up. I open the cabinet above where the washer/dryer would be if we had one and... Oh my, isn't that a cute little mama mouse with her 5 little babies hanging on to her... (I'm not sure that is exactly what I said, but it was something like that.) DW says "What do you want, a gun, a broom, a hammer?..." I go into my 'MacGyver' mode searching the bedroom for a paper clip, hair net and chewing gum. Instead I find an air freshener container about 4" diameter with a screw on top. After chasing mama and babies across the closet I capture them in the corner of the closet. I screw the top on tight. This will not be a catch and release situation.

I had read about other people having problems with mice, but it wasn't going to happen to me. I was proactive in putting out traps with poison. I open hood once or twice a week and look around. I start the engine. I crank the generator twice a month. I open drawers and look around... but it happened to me. I got mice...

Now I have to see if I can find the entry point. Seems like the rear furnace area may be my starting point. I just glad we found it now instead of when we were on the road.

I've been using Black Cat poison traps. What else might work?

LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 03:21 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
A Black Cat?

Old 08-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #3

Victor M250PRO professional electronic mouse trap. $26.90 at Amazon.

Don't laugh, this thing works. Little red light comes on when a doomed mouse gets zapped. He is inside so you don't have to handle him directly. Just open the trap door and dump him out. Close it up and it is good to go for another visitor.

I bought two for the bus, and placed one under the galley sink and the other in a bay down below. We have yet to need to replace the batteries even after over a year in use.

Yeah we have a cat, but he is not much good at working for a living. He's on welfare
Old 08-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #4

Good luck trying to find the entry point. It can be as small as your little finger and they will get in. But thanks for the reminder. I need to reset the traps and other methods.

I used to use D'Con Mouse Prufe in my equipment barn. I figured it was really working when I had to keep reloading the pet friendly bate stations. Then one day I was pressure washing my tractor to get it ready for greasing and oil change when all of these green pellets came floating by. Looking under the tractor I found handfuls of these pellets and a wad of stuffing up in the frame. The darn mice were using the pellets for bedding!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
A Black Cat?
We had two cats that were pretty good mousers but gave them away so we could travel more freely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Victor M250PRO professional electronic mouse trap. $26.90 at Amazon.

Don't laugh, this thing works. Little red light comes on when a doomed mouse gets zapped. He is inside so you don't have to handle him directly. Just open the trap door and dump him out. Close it up and it is good to go for another visitor.

I bought two for the bus, and placed one under the galley sink and the other in a bay down below. We have yet to need to replace the batteries even after over a year in use.

Yeah we have a cat, but he is not much good at working for a living. He's on welfare
I will give this a look. As much as my treasurer hates rodents, she may approve this purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Good luck trying to find the entry point. It can be as small as your little finger and they will get in. But thanks for the reminder. I need to reset the traps and other methods.

I used to use D'Con Mouse Prufe in my equipment barn. I figured it was really working when I had to keep reloading the pet friendly bate stations. Then one day I was pressure washing my tractor to get it ready for greasing and oil change when all of these green pellets came floating by. Looking under the tractor I found handfuls of these pellets and a wad of stuffing up in the frame. The darn mice were using the pellets for bedding!
I had the same results with D'Con. Somewhat effective but not completely. I used it at the barn and found it in the nest of leaves and paper. I wonder if if is a weaker version of what it used to be or if the mice are stronger?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many entry points. Most of the water lines pass through the floor through holes several times the size of the line.

However if you find your mouse bring him/her over.. My housemates would love a mouse to play with.. Would make them sit up and say MEOW!!!!!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
I screw the top on tight. This will not be a catch and release situation.
Even mice can feel fear and can suffer. When we trap them we release them some distance from the house. They've never come back. But now with the 4 cats we haven't had the problem in years.

How did your cats stop you from traveling freely? We have 4 cats and never had a problem traveling, camping or snow-birding so you have me curious.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We travel with 7 cats and the lovebird! LOL! Word of caution about using poison and introducing it to the food chain. As a rescuer I need to mention that more than one household pet has been killed or nearly so by eating a poisoned 'pest' as have many wild predators and raptors.
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok Bear, just for the fun of it, while in bed when on your 2 week trip. Say Ssssh, what's that I hear. Then get a good nights sleep while DW cleans out the closet! She'll love you for it!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Even mice can feel fear and can suffer. When we trap them we release them some distance from the house. They've never come back. But now with the 4 cats we haven't had the problem in years.

How did your cats stop you from traveling freely? We have 4 cats and never had a problem traveling, camping or snow-birding so you have me curious.
We got the cats (sisters) when we moved to the Georgia mountains and had them spayed so they could be outside 'barn' cats. They had been raised as outside cats for several generations by neighbors from where we moved. They did help with the rodent population. They would catch a mouse and play with it until it got away or died. Chipmunks, small rabbits and moles were fair game also as were katydids, grasshoppers, butterflies, birds etc. But, they still had to be fed and watered, so when we were gone for more than a few days the feeder and water source had to be maintained.
I know a lot of people love traveling with their cats but not us. We enjoyed our little buddies when we were outside and made sure they had a warm place to sleep and good food and water and up to date vet care. In the 3 years we had Smokey and Ellie we spent over $1000 on them, not including food. We found a good home for them with an older couple who do not travel. They had recently lost their 13 year old 'barn' cat. The cats are happy and so are we.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post
We travel with 7 cats and the lovebird! LOL! Word of caution about using poison and introducing it to the food chain. As a rescuer I need to mention that more than one household pet has been killed or nearly so by eating a poisoned 'pest' as have many wild predators and raptors.
You are right about using poisons. I am looking into the battery operated traps that Moonrover suggested.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Ok Bear, just for the fun of it, while in bed when on your 2 week trip. Say Ssssh, what's that I hear. Then get a good nights sleep while DW cleans out the closet! She'll love you for it!
You try it first with your DW and see how it works for you. Report back and I'll analyse your results and make a decision to go forward or not...

And BTW, we are getting ready to leave for two to three months.
I hope it goes well for you Mutants at Bryce.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #13

I just use the good old snap traps with peanut butter. The rolling can over a bucket is also effective. Either way mouse is no longer able to cause trouble in MH.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:56 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
You try it first with your DW and see how it works for you. Report back and I'll analyse your results and make a decision to go forward or not...

And BTW, we are getting ready to leave for two to three months.
I hope it goes well for you Mutants at Bryce.
We had a problem first trip out this year. We could hear scratching noise right at the head of the bed on DW side. Looked and looked and decided we must have scared it away so we went to bed.
More scratching. Next day set snap traps and sticky boards. As I was looking in bay under the bedroom slide I heard the scratching noise. Water had accumulated on the slide topper and wind was blowing off just a little at a time that dropped onto the outside of slide near the head of bed. Mystery solved!

We are doing our canyon tour, we're at Palo Duro Canyon now, Grand Canyon next then up to Bryce. With the mutants it always goes well!

Have fun!