Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

back-up alarm

Just bought 18 f-150 and with the trailer hitch installed, and using reverse,the back up camera sees the hitch and sounds back up alarm. Dealer says there is nothing you can do about it. Any thoughts on this problem, ear plugs? easy motoring
retfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #2

Its odd there's no switch to turn off the alarm. Both my car and truck have that capability. Have you gone through the owners manual?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:06 AM   #3

A couple of clicks on the buttons in the steering wheel turns mine off, but then I have an older model.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:15 AM   #4
tcg

This is from a 2018 owners manual. Also, a quick Google search suggests if you don't see that menu it's possible, if you've played with the MyKey settings, you accidentally forced that feature to stay on so it won't show up in the menu without resetting or jumping through some other hoops.

Note:When a trailer is connected to the vehicle, the rear parking aid may detect the trailer and therefore provide warnings. It is suggested that you disable the system when a trailer is connected to the vehicle to prevent these warnings. The sensing system warns the driver of obstacles within a certain range of your vehicle. The system turns on automatically whenever you switch the ignition on. When receiving a detection warning, the radio volume reduces to a predetermined level. After the warning goes away, the radio volume returns to the previous level. The system can be switched off through the information display menu or from the pop-up message that appears once you shift the transmission into reverse (R). See General Information (page 111).
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Very simple.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with the problem.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:45 AM   #7
IC2

Ford has had a back up/proximity alarm for over ten years that I'm aware of. It is controlled by one of the buttons on the steering wheel and shown on the info display. It drive's me to distraction while backing our 5er since it resets to ON as the default every time you shut the truck down.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #8

I like others are sure (pretty sure) there is a way to shut it off... I have to on my 15 Silverado, but its a big button...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #9

My "17 ford has the same warning. I cancel it in the info screen every time I back up a trailer.
My '17 Dodge will automatically turn that feature off when I connect a 7 pin ( with brakes) trailer harness. I prefer Dodge's way of doing it.
Matt
mattchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchew View Post
My "17 ford has the same warning. I cancel it in the info screen every time I back up a trailer.
My '17 Dodge will automatically turn that feature off when I connect a 7 pin ( with brakes) trailer harness. I prefer Dodge's way of doing it.
Matt
I think you will find that the Ford is the same.

Do you have a trailer cord long enough to keep the trailer out of the alarm range?
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #11

Be cautious about turning the back up alarm off or permanently disabling it. Although it is annoying to many it has a purpose. I worked for a truck equipment company that had went through a bankruptcy because they failed to fix a back up alarm on a truck. Although the truck had been to their shop for a different problem they failed to notice or repair the back up alarm and the driver of the truck backed over a person and was fatally injured. A functioning back up alarm may have not made any difference but the prosecution built their case around it and family of the deceased won. This was a very large company with multiple service facilities. It is especially important to have the back up alarm working when you are backing up a trailer (or MHj), not quite so for just a pickup truck. You never know when a person will walk into the path of your vehicle when backing. All I can say is be careful.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
Be cautious about turning the back up alarm off or permanently disabling it. Although it is annoying to many it has a purpose. I worked for a truck equipment company that had went through a bankruptcy because they failed to fix a back up alarm on a truck. Although the truck had been to their shop for a different problem they failed to notice or repair the back up alarm and the driver of the truck backed over a person and was fatally injured. A functioning back up alarm may have not made any difference but the prosecution built their case around it and family of the deceased won. This was a very large company with multiple service facilities. It is especially important to have the back up alarm working when you are backing up a trailer (or MHj), not quite so for just a pickup truck. You never know when a person will walk into the path of your vehicle when backing. All I can say is be careful.
KT,
This is not a "back up alarm" per se, it is the proximity sensor setup for the car/truck to tell you when you get too close to something before you hit it. It is usually tied in to the back up camera system.
Matt
mattchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #13

I just bought a 2000 Toyota Camry, I live in Manhattan, park in the streets and like to sit in the car with the radio on while I do the alternate side of the street musical chairs game. The ding ding ding from having the key in the ignition and the door open drove me crazy. Found a guy on craigslist who took out a motherboard and desoldered it, no more ringing, 75$ later but I'm happy.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't run across a MH with a backup alarm, do many of them have one?

Glenn