Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
A danger with radios is that someone else in the park may be using your frequency and just as you are about to say "stop" they key the mike and say "come on back".

Sometimes you may not realize this until after the divorce.

Oh crap, never thought of that. Maybe the cell phones are a better option.

BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #30
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I sometimes camp with a retired pilot. He and his wife use the same signals that the ground crew at an airport use to park their rig and are famous for being very efficient and organized. He prides himself on parking it right the very first time; every time and usually never even rolls down his window during the parking process. He just uses his mirrors and follows her signals in a well orchestrated routine.

On one trip, the parking was particularly difficult. An old state park with small sites and the driveways at right angles to the loop road, trees all over the place,boulders thoughtfully and artfully placed near entrances - you know the kind. They make your blood run cold when you see them, and the muscles in the back of your neck tense up just contemplating the parking ordeal. This was the kind of site that would cause me to take an extra trip around the loop - slooooooowly, while I develop a plan, or seriously consider other options.

We were already parked in our spot right next to the nightmare spot and as suggested earlier pulled up chairs to watch the proceedings. The wife efficiently jumped out and prepared to guide hubby in with the official looking signals. He was attentive and seemed calm enough... but after being waved off on the second try he rolled down his windows and groused at his wife.. "you need to be more clear in your signals what your intent is. If you mean "move to the right" then you need to use the proper signal. How do you expect me to park when it looks like you're swatting flies back there. Get it together!

Then he rolled up his window and pulled forward again for the final try (now that the cause of the problem had been set straight).

She waited until he was ready to back again and then gave him the signals he needed. Clearly and smartly, arms straight and forward, she raised her middle digits, then walked over and sat down on in one of our chairs and opened a relaxing beverage. The show was worth the wait - it took him five or six more tries including several stops to get out and walk around to check the back. I have to say things were a little tense around the fire that night....

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #31

Great story telling, I felt like I was right there. Maybe I felt that feeling once before. ROFLOL
Old 01-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
A danger with radios is that someone else in the park may be using your frequency and just as you are about to say "stop" they key the mike and say "come on back".

Sometimes you may not realize this until after the divorce.
We use hands free headsets which have a very limited range and allow the driver to not have to hold something in their hand or stop and pick something up. The limited range might guard against picking someone else up on the frequency. It also allows the one giving directions free use of hands to wave like they are swatting flies (boy that was a good story).

We got them at www.rvheadsets.com but I just checked their site and it appears to be down right now. Anyway, we are pleased with them after having used walkie talkies and cell phones. It was just never convenient to stop turning the wheel to pick something up to talk.

Don
Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now that's a good one!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
A couple of years ago, while camped in Wells Beach, Maine, I was sitting in a front row seat, in my rv, while a couple backed their motorhome into their site. I stopped reading to watch, as it usually is very intertaining.

The driver backed the MH into the site, as the DW guided him. It was actually uneventful. They both stood arround looking, pointing and were discussing something (I couldn't hear what they were saying).

I was about to go back to my reading when I noticed the husband get back in the MH and pull it straight ahead, totally out of the site and into the road. There was plenty of room ahead, so he didn't have to turn right or left.

All of a sudden, he started backing.....I thought.....gee, he seems to be going awfully fast. He backed it straight into a tree, at the rear of the site! Of course, his wife yelled "stop" (I could hear that). You could also see the coach "shudder" as it hit. Then he got out, ran back there, saw what had happened. He began yelling at his wife and waving his arms.

Everyone that was out and arround, heard the crash and came out to see what was up. The park maintenance person also heard the crash and quickly rode up in his golf cart, to see what had happened.

I spoke with the maint. person later and he said that the guy wondered why the tree wasn't cut down long ago! The M/P said that there had been many people backing into the site before him and they never hit the tree.

When I got a chance I went behind the coach and saw a jagged hole of about 1' in diameter, in the rear cap. How awful it was!

Never did know why he came back so fast! Wonder if their marriage survived?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
Glad we will be providing entertainment this weekend on our first time out in years with the largest motorhome we've ever had, LOL! Don't be so pompous ....you experts. Of course we'll have it together soon, just like you.
We were all newbies once and have provided entertainment for the "old hands". Let me share what happened to us back in 1996 on our first long trip with a 5th wheel.

We were at Starlight RV Resort in Clay, PA and were assigned a back-in campsite up the side of a mountain. After getting the truck and trailer up to the campsite, Madame Boomer directed me into the site without too much drama, I unhitched the truck and started my hookups. About this time, the good Madame began to run out the large living room slideout, and I noticed that where we had positioned the 5th wheel, the slideout was about to run straight into the post in the ground next to the utilities. Fortunately, she heard me yelling "STOP!!" before the slideout hit the post.

When she came out of the 5th wheel, we had a colorful discussion of exactly whose fault it was that I had to rehitch the 5th wheel and move it forward 6" and then start the whole setup process over again. As is typical, I wound up losing that discussion.

I'm sure our neighbors were entertained.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #36

This is the most fun thread I've read in a long time!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Janet, that is just about the funniest story I've ever heard.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #38
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Anyone standing around listening to me when I'm backing and the wife is directing is in for an ear full. They are better off standing next to here where the roar of the engine is.

I will say that I can hear through the monitor speaker, but only when she talks up. She only talked up once, and that was the first time backing into the driveway.

It is then that I had the lesson in language. WHOA in Texan means STOP.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
This is the most fun thread I've read in a long time!
I agree. Maybe once it has run it's course we can start one on "Leveling Your Rig". I'm sure there are some great stories and probably even some pictures that would come out for that one.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #40

I do all the backing with the TT. Once DW wanted to drive the rig and I agreed she needed to learn how to drive if ever something happend where I couldn't drive. We arrived at the camping spot, which was a parking lot of a civic center. I advised my DW that I would back the TT in, but she said she could do it. Before this time I would back the rig and she would try to give directions, which were about the reverse of what they shold have been. Anyway she started to back the TT. Now there was losts of room al around the spot we were tryin to get the TT in. I tried to give the proper directions many times but to no avail. Finaly she relinquished and I put the TT in the spot on the first try. From then on I get to do the backing.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
After many years of being very vocal about my absolute TERROR of driving our truck pulling the rig....I'm now proud to say that we have a new truck (an automatic) and I've put more highway miles pulling than RustyJC has on the new diesel! I've turned into a monster! Each trip is a learning experience and in my short time of driving, I've encountered some of the interesting obstacles that all drivers face

But...I still have much to learn and the biggest thing of all is how to back that thing into our slot at the storage facility! I've watched DH do it many times and have learned well (after quite a few "discussions") how to direct him into any spot regardless of how tight it is. He's definitely a pro!

But..........watching and doing are two VERY different things. I tried to back the rig in a couple of weeks ago and freaked out when I saw the back of the rv within inches of the pole....knowing there's another pole on the other side that I can't see! I think it was a combination of things - but looking backwards in that mirror then trying to turn the wheel the opposite way you want the rig to go.........was just too overwhelming so I bailed out of the truck!

I knew I had to learn and tried not to let fear get the better of me.....

so this past weekend, the rig was out of the slot getting washed and I decided to try once again to back it in! I prepared myself mentally for the reverse scene in the mirror and those two poles, slowly I put it in reverse with DH walking alongside me guiding me................slowly ...............slowly............... I "cut and chased" and

before I knew I was in the slot! I DID IT! It wasn't easy and I'll never be as good at it as DH is.........but I overcame my fear and backed it in!

I have a deep abiding admiration for all drivers who accomplish this every time they are in the rig - kudoes to all of you!!!! because I know it's not easy!

Sandy
Texas and Boomers - we just naturally go together
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #42
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Left is right, right is left, eh?

That is only with the hand on the top of the steering wheel.

If you put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel (with a tt or 5er) then left is left and right is right.

Backing up is so easy. It's not hitting anything that is more difficult.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote