Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad we will be providing entertainment this weekend on our first time out in years with the largest motorhome we've ever had, LOL! Don't be so pompous ....you experts. Of course we'll have it together soon, just like you.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
It is great entertainment - just pull up your lawn chairs, sit down with a beverage of your choice and watch the fun. It's also educational - despite growing up in the oil fields of West Texas, I've managed to expand my vocabulary considerably just by watching couples attempting to back the RV into the campsite.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #17

Oh boy there has been an exchange in words with my husband and I while backing in!!
Loraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm practicing up on my golly gee and gosh darns.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
Who is liable if someone waves you back into a tree?
It's my opinion (and I'm sure we all know about that) that the person driving is the person in control is the person responsible!
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
CD

You don't even have to watch it to get a laugh.
Thanks

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #21
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
Who is liable if someone waves you back into a tree?
The driver.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
The driver.
Very true but it is the responsibility of the guy who backed the driver into the tree to run like heck!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #23

Several years ago we were in the Florida Keys and had the tightest site I have ever seen. The site was only 36' long and our motorhome was 38'. The campground told me they would place cones in front of the motorhome so no one would hit it.

On one side of the site was an electric pole and a guide wire ran from the pole to the other side of our site and I had to park between them. To complicate parking there was a fifthwheel parked parallel to the road and its slideout was sticking out in the road.

My wife and I studied our situation and came up with a plan for backing in. I kept the side mirror 2" from the fifthwheel and very very slowly backed in cutting the steering back and forth. We got parked on the first try - passenger side 6" from the pole, drivers side roof 2" from the guide wire and rear bumper 2" from the fence.

When I got out of the motorhome two men were waiting to shake my hand. I hadn't noticed there were six men watching me park and they placed dollar bets on whether I could get it parked with no damage. The two bet I could and the other four bet I couldn't.

Before we left the fifthwheel moved and it was easy to drive out.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
Glad we will be providing entertainment this weekend on our first time out in years with the largest motorhome we've ever had, LOL! Don't be so pompous ....you experts. Of course we'll have it together soon, just like you.
So my little story about being the campground entertainment.

Our shakedown trip to a local CG with our brand new 40DP. I'd never driven an RV of any kind before that so had about 30 miles of driving experience when we pulled into the CG. No pull thrus. Only sites which backed up to their little fishing pond. Panic begins to set in during the check in process.

The office was full and my rig was sitting outside at idle because I didn't think one was supposed to shut off a diesel engine... I explained to the lady at the desk that we were new and I might need some help getting the rig backed into a tight site. I swear, everything went quiet in the office and then people began to scatter and gather their coolers and lawn chairs to watch the show.

We pulled up the the site... DW got out and began directing me back... it was at this point I learned just how useless the microphone on the rear camera is when there's a 400hp diesel roaring right under it. I began to back her in following DW's instructions and to the great disbelief of all watching, we slipped perfectly into the slot on the first try. I'm quite confident that we have not backed in so perfectly on the first attempt since then.

About 30 minutes later we got introduced to the RV lifestyle when our neighbors came walking around the front of our coach shaking a pitcher of martinis. They had watched the whole show and thought congratulations were in order.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 01-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Awwww Rick, that's a nice story but I can feel the pain of the moment. Being watched is a miserable experience. It reminds me of my first motorcycle lesson in a group lead by our State Police at my building. The smirks on their faces, my DH's and others while I white knuckled it just put me into a migraine that day. But I made it, passed it and have had 13 years of happy riding since. I hate being under pressure.

DH has driven others and he drove it home really well, backing it into the driveway with inches to spare on all four sides. I want to get the walkie talkies operational though. He can hear me but I can't hear him.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
I want to get the walkie talkies operational though. He can hear me but I can't hear him.
Another point of view is that you don't NEED to hear anything he has to say and if he just follows your directions all will be fine.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
A danger with radios is that someone else in the park may be using your frequency and just as you are about to say "stop" they key the mike and say "come on back".

Sometimes you may not realize this until after the divorce.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Another point of view is that you don't NEED to hear anything he has to say and if he just follows your directions all will be fine.

Rick

Oooooh, I LIKE the way you think!