Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Sad news about miners

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sad news about miners

Old 01-04-2006, 05:04 AM   #3

At 1:10 a.m. this morning the news services were reporting that the twelve miners were alive, and I went to bed thinking that was great news only to find out that is was not true. Ed.S
Old 01-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #4

So sad for all their families and coworkers a real shame.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Its ashame that the news service is so much wanting to be the first to scoop a story, That they don't always get the facts straight.I am afraid they will regret this for a long time.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kablewizard:
Its ashame that the news service is so much wanting to be the first to scoop a story, That they don't always get the facts straight.I am afraid they will regret this for a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of course the news service wants to get out the word as soon as possible ...but the news service didn't put out the original word that the twelve miners were alive whereas I would say they were acting in good faith. The ill words came from somewhere else, right?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:54 AM   #7

From what I am hearing, someone overheard a rescuers cell phone call or radio transmission and the rescuer used the term "we found 12 miners". The person took that to mean they were alive and ran to tell everybody. I guess he assumed that they would have said "12 bodies" if they had been dead. They said 12 miners as vital signs had not yet been taken. The person overhearing the conversation should have waited for more info. I guess we hear what we want to hear. I would not want to be the person who made that error. I was always taught not to listen in on other people's conversations because you don't know the whole story. This is the worst case scenario of that rule. The media then heard all the rejoicing and ran with it. It is also hard to research breaking news. You have someone walking away from the mine shouting "they're alive!" You send that feed right out. It is LIVE coverage. You assume the person knows what they are talking about.

The roller coaster that these families have been on. I cried. dh was upset that the families were accusing the mining company of "killing their family members" and talking about suing, like the mining company had done it deliberately or something. I told him that when you are grieving, you lash out at anyone within striking range.

Has anyone even said what caused the explosion? What a scary job to have. I can't imagine the grief those families are giong through.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:38 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
I believe Mamaloya has it right. It is not the news service who started the false information. Possibly they might have confirmed the information, but with family members rejoicing and the church bells ringing and family/friends telling every one they were found alive, who would have been "protected" by confirmation?
I find no fault with the mining company if someone did pass on information (albeit MISUNDERSTOOD information) gained from an eavesdropping on a telephone call.
Was the mine unsafe? Obviously. But there are Federal mine inspectors who actually go inside the mines and check conditions. If they had found standards below the safety benchmarks, then they would have shut the mine down.

It seems like everyone is looking (not this forum, but the media) is looking for someone to blame. Sometimes things just happen. I do believe the media is exploiting the grief of these poor families by having them constantly on TV asking such questions as "How does it feel to be told your (whatever the reltionship is) was alive and then being told three hours later they are dead?".
What a question!! How the heck do you THNK they feel? Let these people grieve and say good bye without making it a national and international circus.

*gets down off soap box and disappears into the crowd*
Old 01-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #9

The news media may no have started the information, however I believe it is the responsibility of any news agency to verify their information prior to putting it out to millions of viewers, who as foolish as it may seem immediately take whatever the papers or electroinc media say as gospel.

I feel very badly for the families to go through what they did, then have their spirits lifted only to be taken out at the knees.
The overzealous reporting that has taken over the "news" just to be the first has, in my opinion come to haunt them by erroding the creditbility of "news reporting".

Law enforcement must have proof to bring charges on someone, yet the media can make any allegations about any one of us and not even have to state where the information came from. Makes no sense to me.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote