Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
Bad Roads!

INDIANA ROADS ARE HORRIBLE! AND THEY SUCK ! My DHs Harley was almost totally dislodged from our trailer! Thank goodness for the front tire lock!
Beware, it's no wonder trucks blow tires out here (Interstate 65 and 70). There are bits and pieces of tires all along the road!!!! Sorry, just had to vent!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garytut&twooie View Post
INDIANA ROADS ARE HORRIBLE! AND THEY SUCK ! My DHs Harley was almost totally dislodged from our trailer! Thank goodness for the front tire lock!
Beware, it's no wonder trucks blow tires out here (Interstate 65 and 70). There are bits and pieces of tires all along the road!!!! Sorry, just had to vent!
Tell me about it, North of Indy here, somebody got the brilliant idea to chip seal the asphalt state highways. Lay down some tar, sprinkle gravel on top of it and roll. Then turn the traffic loose on it while it still soft, and you get two ruts that you have to keep the Harley centered in one of. Then they sprayed something on top of that I'm not sure what is, it looks like fresh oil, but it's not, or is it? Hard to tell.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It seems that the road system all over the country is in pretty bad shape all over the country. The states do not have the budgets to maintain the roads and do everything else they are supposed to do.

Ken
Old 07-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We once took a route east from Kankakee, IL to got to I65 via IL 114 to IN 10. Just as soon as we IN 10 we started getting the teeth knocked out and the plates began to rattle. HORRIBLE! Wasn't even expecting that considering I use to joke about IL roads.

Without going too far off topic, my new Gamrin RV 760LMT allows me to designate specific roads to avoid and then plots routes with that in mind. You betcha I made that a NO GO route. Of course, to use that feature you have to know about any roads you want to avoid in the first place for what ever reason you want to avoid it.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Wait a while.

The good and bad roads trade places after a time. Some get repaired while others decay.

A real-time database would be nice.

I know folks that will avoid a road forever because it was in disrepair, and now is not.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #6

We have a few good roads, the new I-69 out of Evansville is beautiful, huge new road next to no traffic yet. Until it comes to an abrupt end west of Bloomington and everybody tries to squeeze down SR45, a great biker road, lousy for big rigs.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I traveled I-65 from northern Indiana south this past Spring and the road was so bad and so broken up that a chunk of concrete flew up and damaged the fiberglass sidewall on my motorhome. Thankfully Progressive covered the damage (less $375 deductible) to the tune of $1100. I will never travel I-65 again, at least not north of Nashville.
The trucks use this route in and out of Chicago because it's the shortest route south and even a few miles saved adds up to quite a bit of fuel and time savings over the long haul. From now on I'll take I-57 south, about an extra 100 miles, but worth it in the end.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I traveled I-65 from northern Indiana south this past Spring and the road was so bad....I will never travel I-65 again.... From now on I'll take I-57 south, about an extra 100 miles, but worth it in the end.
Never again?
Wait. They with both change rankings.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When our federal government starts putting our tax dollars where they belong we'll get our roads fixed. The condition of many of our federal roads are a national disgrace. Others have improved, but we seem to be getting further behind.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
On the bright side, bad roads mean lower speeds, means better fuel economy.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
On the bright side, bad roads mean lower speeds, means better fuel economy.
Unfortunately, I think that is the logic around here.

We were just on a few Oklahoma roads visiting family, they live 95 miles southwest of Oklahoma City, about an hour away if you run with the traffic .
Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Just got back from 7100 mile trip and found alot of road repair work going on in just about every state we went through and alot of really bad roads.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #13

84 east of Scranton PA... I had to travel in the passing lane because I thought my front TV was going to come crashing down.

I have lots of new squeeks and rattles now after that road!!
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #14

Lost a MH Hub cap between Charlotte and Sarnia on 69. An I thought that canadian roads were awfull. The 69 really rock the boat