Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As a retired Language Arts teacher, I am thrilled that this subject is being discussed! Part of the problem, as far as I am concerned is that I was told by "administration" that spelling no longer would be taught in our elementary school. Instead, "Whole Language" would now be taught. It was more important that our children express their "feelings" in their compositions than have correct spelling. Bughouse!! IMHO we need to go back to basics, instead of using our students as guinea pigs for someone's doctorial thesis! OK! I vented.
Grammy J.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
As I am the worlds worst speller
I have great empathy with those who share my plight.
I have a google spell checker, but I am unable to figure out how to make it work when I am typing on this reply box.
I am most often typing in the dark with just the monitor screen as light so using a dictionary is not handy. And also I have to realize that the word is mis-spelled before I can hope to fix it Some of us are very bright bulbs in some areas and dumb bunnies in others. Please forgive us
I have gone so far as to chose a different word because I can't wrap my head around how to spell the word I want -- Sad
Now if there was a spell checker in those little button thingies on top of this box, it would be simple

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:00 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That along with the ones that are hooked on phonics, and use short forms such as ur 2 lazy 2 use spl chk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know why, but that doesn't bother me as much. And when I'm in the middle of an IM session, I'll also use such things as "ru there?", TTYL, etc. I just don't have a problem with those. But when somebody is looking for a descent campground, I just have to go away.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #18

Hear, Hear! Grammy J!

Spot on! Getting back to basics in our schools is exactly what we need to put the brakes on the dumbing down of America!

DH and I were discussing just yesterday that when the National Education Association (NEA) shows up on Capital Hill to speak, our elected leaders ought to sit up and listen because out of any other group, they should be the ones with the answers why Johnny and Sally's test scores are falling and how to turn it around. Instead, their agenda gets hijacked by all sorts of knuckle-headed thinking. In addition to some coconut's doctorial thesis experiment, when the NEA shows up, leaders roll their eyes and think "Oh, God! What now? Is someone clubbing baby seals again?"

I taught music in an elementary school in a neighborhood that was so affluent it was a standing joke that they were really a private school. But it was still in the public school system and had certain agendas they had to follow, including "tolerance" of gay students...in an elementary school...grades K-5. Ninth Circuit Court in San Fran, the most overturned court in the land, ruled that when parents turn their children over to the public school system, they abdicate parental rights.

Absolutely no way that I would send my kids off to the public school system these days. It would be a private school whose agenda was strictly teaching and test scores or homeschooling.

Marcia
Old 07-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colette and Joe:
Now if there was a spell checker in those little button thingies on top of this box, it would be simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's no more simple than right clicking on your mouse buttons. Visit the first page of this post and download the ie Spell checker. It's designed exactly for this type of work. It operates perfectly here in the reply or compose boxes.

Now there isn't a text based grammar checker that I know of other than MS Word and there certainly isn't a "dufus filter" in case some one isn't posting accurate information.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:11 PM   #20

Reminds me of the sign a local real estate company displayed . it read
5 acre tracks
I called them to ask if the tracks were 5 acres how the heck big was the animal that left them .... went right over their heads and they left it that way for about a week, finally someone changed it.
And you can thank me for the removal of the Wal-Mart sign that read 'you're always next in line' ... hey if your always next you will never get out .... Ok so maybe I had no influence on the changing of it, but I sure made a big joke of it everytime I was there.

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:13 PM   #21

DriVer,

isn't it spelled DOOFUS?

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:19 PM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Big Kid:
Isn't it spelled DOOFUS? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I checked my Magic 8 ball, remember those, and it said, ....
Oops, I can't share that because it's magic.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:49 AM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Thanks Driver, I did the download and think, know it works. Tried to miss spell and checked it and corrected it.
Thank you, Thank you.
Now if I miss spell you know it is because I did not know it was wrong and it is a word that has several spellings.
Now I need to load it on Joes machine so we have it in both places.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

You no, I herd people got up tight about spelling on some sights.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #25

I have always been a stickler for good spelling, good grammar, and punctuation.

However, when posting on forums or doing emails... I tend to forget the good sentence structure and punctuation.... and type like I talk... with trailing periods to note pauses in my conversation flow, etc.... it has just become a habit. The only time I am very careful, is when I email my grandkids.... got to set a good example!

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Now thats all we need, a bunch of anal english majors venting I'm with the group that forgives those who hated english class. As long as I can understand yer point yer OK with me. As a matter of fact it's those silver tongued word smiths that usually p--- me off, talking over everyones heads.

Get a life.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #27

Y R U worid abot oter peppls splng? Aint der enoh stuf in de wrld too wory abote?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The posts here and on other sites are not novels, or articles, they are written conversation. I would rather find out what someone thinks than worry about their grammar or spelling. If I am writing a formal paper I will be much more careful than I am here. If I am giving a speech I am much more careful than when I am chatting with my DH. Here I am chatting. As long as I can understand, the spelling doesn't bother me. I don't think we should discourage those who can't spell very well from posting here.