Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #1

[rant]

Am I the only one this bothers? I see it all over, but I really see it a lot in messages posted by RVers.

In one of the boards on this forum here are 3 of 4 topics, all in a row --

Michlen Strikes Again

Fuel milage

alison transmission

We've lost all distinctions between "lose" and "loose", I'm not even sure where to start when it comes to "there", "their" and "they're", and explaining the proper usage of "its" and "it's" is a lost cause. I've thought about keeping my own spreadsheet, just to track how many times I've seen things spelt wrong, but it would take far too much of my day to do so.

Do we no longer care? Or is functional illiteracy now perfectly acceptable?

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh!

[/rant]

Boy, it felt good to get that off my chest. Now I can quietly crawl back into the woodwork!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #2

[rant]

Am I the only one this bothers? I see it all over, but I really see it a lot in messages posted by RVers.

In one of the boards on this forum here are 3 of 4 topics, all in a row --

Michlen Strikes Again

Fuel milage

alison transmission

We've lost all distinctions between "lose" and "loose", I'm not even sure where to start when it comes to "there", "their" and "they're", and explaining the proper usage of "its" and "it's" is a lost cause. I've thought about keeping my own spreadsheet, just to track how many times I've seen things spelt wrong, but it would take far too much of my day to do so.

Do we no longer care? Or is functional illiteracy now perfectly acceptable?

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh!

[/rant]

Boy, it felt good to get that off my chest. Now I can quietly crawl back into the woodwork!

Old 07-30-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Got to agree. I try to keep my head down and my mouth shut on most of these forums, but maybe this one will make it past the politically correct police.
The internet is the blame for much of the 'shortcut' language. I am guilty as well. I use 'gotta' in place of 'you've got to'.
One of my pet peeves is the use of the words "advise" and "advice". How many times have you seen someone ask for 'advise' when in fact what they want is 'advice'.
They might want someone to advise (long i) them, but they are seeking advice (like frozen water)
Guess I was frightened by an English teacher when I was in school.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You can cheat even if you can't spell and it's as easy as right clicking on your mouse.

Go to the IE-Spell Checker for Internet Explorer Website - Download.

Simply download the utility and it will install itself into your Internet Explorer automatically. It will also check select other text based applications that you might have as well.

This is an excellent utility and I use it every time I post. It's easy and it's FREE. If you like it then register your own copy because it's what is called shareware.

Try it, you'll like it!

ieSpell Check
Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP
Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher
7 MB of free disk space (More if you install the optional language packs)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:36 AM   #5

Ken,
No, you are not the only one this bothers. Most of the problems you mention won't be caught by a spell checker either. Reminds me of our son and his homework; we got our first computer back in the 80's when our kids were in grade school, our son would do his work on the computer, then I would check it. When I told him he spelled some words wrong he would say "no I didn't, I used the spell checker", then we would discuss the difference between there and their, were and where, etc..
Once in a while I post something without checking it, and then see I made a spelling error, and that really gripes me
Loren
Old 07-30-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Whin i wuz yung, spellin wuzn't mi bestest subgect in skool. I thenk yousing tha spel cheker thingy wuld bee guud fer us awl.

ah shuks, i fergot two klick et on this post.

All kidding aside, we should all hit that spell checker before we click on the "Post Now" button.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 AM   #7

Ken, for starters you might want to edit your own subject. I think the word you were intending to use is "spelling". Just joshing, Ken,'04 DSDP...
Old 07-30-2006, 09:18 AM   #8

Annoying at the very least would be an understatement. There, their, they're prolly to, too, lazy two check cheque their there they're spelling becuz it's its time consuming. That along with the ones that are hooked on phonics, and use short forms such as ur 2 lazy 2 use spl chk.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Problems must be at a low ebe this weekend.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #10

After this thread, your lurker status will certainly go up and active posts will fall off for sure. Who cares as long as the subject gets across

David
Old 07-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

I agree with Toterman.....The internet has always had it's own identity as far as spelling and grammatical mistakes are concerned...

I am more concerned with getting the subject matter at hand out there to those folks that either are asking or answering a fellow RV'ers post...

While it certainly may annoy a certain contingent of posters, I'm hoping those of you that aren't spelling champs will still contribute...

As my Dad used to always say.... I kud never lern too spull salesmun now I is one!!

Our Mission: "Efficiently support the thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experiences among RV enthusiasts"
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #12

I notice it a lot too. I am probably guilty of it myself from time to time. My fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be either. My biggest prob, which is worse than the spelling issue, is the use of commas. I hate commas. i never know where to put them. I also use a lot of runon sentences and stick commas in to separate my blabbering runon thoughts.

I also struggle to separate my different thoughts into orderly paragraphs. I hated English in school and it shows, mainly grammar. If you think my typing is lazy, try listening to me speak. It is not that I don't know how, I am just too busy or tired to care sometimes. My dh ribs me about it.

I homeschool, which scares dh, but I promise that when I am teaching, I am following the rules. (See, one of those runon sentences that I have no idea how to separate w/o adding far more words than I feel like typing)

Sorry if my lazy spelling bothers anyone. I promise I know how, just feel like these internet groups are like hanging out on the front porch with neighbors where it is casual. Not that my speech is that bad, just more laid back than if I were on the job or at dinner with the president.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Nice post Sandra...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #14

The spelling doesn't bother me as much as someone giving wrong advice on something.I guess if all the words are spelled correctly and all the punctuation is right it doesn't matter if the facts are wrong.
BOB