Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Baking on the grill

Am considering baking on my Olympian 1400 gas grill, and am thinking a rectangular pizza stone on top of the grill grate would help to distribute the heat after the top of the grill is closed.

Experimenting, I learned that the grill will maintain temperatures in the 300 - 500 degree F range.

Anyone have any experience with baking on a BBQ grill?
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedT View Post
Anyone have any experience with baking on a BBQ grill?
I'm a bread guy. I use the pizza stone, and set a big covered dutch oven on top of it with the dough inside. Keeps more moisture in, evens out the heat. If I watch the flames carefully, it works well.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #3

I baked a cake on my grill using the flat steel griddle to spread the heat. Came out fairly well.
I've also cooked a 25 lb. turkey on the grill by putting it in a large aluminum throw away pan then covering the turkey in aluminum foil. Came out just as well as using an oven.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I'm a bread guy. I use the pizza stone, and set a big covered dutch oven on top of it with the dough inside. Keeps more moisture in, evens out the heat. If I watch the flames carefully, it works well.
That's what I use in the house for my sourdough bread. My only problem is that my RV BBQ is too small for a Dutch Oven

Might have to try using just a pizza stone if I can find a rectangular one about 12 inch x 10 inch.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:15 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I too use a cast griddle on our Pitboss LP grill.
We've successfully baked bread, cinnamon rolls, cake, brownies, cornbread, pizza...you name it. Usually place an airbake cookie sheet on top of the griddle too. And those jumbo size Costco rolls of aluminum foil come in handy. I prefer cooking on the grill outside to the stove inside.
Once you master the internal temp to 350 it's pretty easy cooking.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #6

A pair of apple pies on a cookie sheet. The crust had the slightest smoky flavor from previous cooking but people only noticed after I mentioned it. No complaints. I noted the crust didn't bake as consistently as it usually did in the oven. No surprise as the flames were still a bit close to the pie pans (pyrex) and I'm well aware of how my grill has hot and cool areas. I've been told the pies would have faired better in cast iron but I haven't tried that yet. I haven't come across any cast pans I really like yet.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:31 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I've also baked on a grill using a pizza stone to even out the heat.

As a Boy Scout leader, we often baked cakes and all sorts of things using cast iron Dutch ovens on hot embers. Secret is to put more embers on the top than underneath.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote