Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
''BANG BANG'' Mr you are dead.....

''Willa, I gotta climb up on top of the coach and flip the release button on the stupid awning so I can roll it out''
''Ok Darling, don't fall off the roof''

Our awning has a strange quirk in that it will sometimes develop a personality all its own. It has a ''switch'' on the end of the roller that will sometimes get stuck in the last position it was left in and you have to take a pair of pliers and move the stinkin' thing to get the awning to rollup or un roll as the case may be. I have oiled, greased and cursed the thing without it helping much.

Our awning was UP and the switch refused to click down so I could un-roll the awning so we could have some shade while we are here at the beach. I got out my trusty pliers and went around to the latter on the back of the coach. I had forgotten that on this latter I had strapped, tied and attached our trusty Blue Boy Poop hauler that we used down in Florida last winter. I looked at it and decided that I could probably just ''climb over'' it instead of taking it down. About that time a small boy wearing a plastic helmet and carrying a plastic M-16 let go with about ten ''cap shots'' at me from behind the picnic table.
''I got you mister'' ''Fall down, you been shot''........
He had to be about four years old and cute as a button. I tired to explain to him that I was too busy to play soldier with him right now.
''What chew doin mister?''
''I am gonna climb up this latter and try to fix my awning''
''Can you take that Blue Thing down and let me use it for a tank or soumthin?''
''Not right now son. I am busy,,,,,,,,,,, YOU GO PLAY SOME WHERES ELSE PLEASE''.

I turned my attention to the ladder with the Blue Boy hanging from it. I could take the Blue Boy down but I figured it should not be much of a problem to simply ''climb over'' it and go on up the ladder and come down the same way. W R O N G …..

I climbed up on the tow bar hitch and up on the first rung of the ladder. I reached up above the body of the Blue Boy and grabbed the rung and hoisted my self up high enough to get my right foot into the ''Dump Hole'' of the Blue Boy. All was going well so far. I reached further up the ladder and got hold of the next rung and decided that since the body of the Blue Boy was in the way of a rung to step on that I should simply use my left foot to step on the ''brace'' that holds the ladder to the coach. I reached around the Blue Boy and felt around with my left foot and found the ''brace''. I went to ''step'' up with my left foot and as I managed to transfer my weight off my rite foot to my left foot my right foot slid out of the ''dump hole'' on the Blue Boy putting all my weight on my left foot which promptly slid off the ''brace'' that holds the ladder to the coach. My body flung sideways to my left and I slammed into the back of the coach doing a ''Monkey Hang'' on my left hand. It took me about three seconds to see that if I didnt do something I was going to drop to the ground with the tow bar probably between my legs.......... NOT GOOD.....
As I flung my body to the right in desperation I managed to grab one of the ropes that was holding the Blue Boy to the ladder. As I stabilized on the rope I realized that I was over stressing the load of the rope and it was slowly unraveling...........
The small boy on the ground let go with about ten more ''Cap Shots'' and yelled.. ''Gotcha again mister, fall down,,,,, you are dead''............

I carefully eased over the Blue Boy and as I stepped on top of it to go up on top of the coach the rope let go and Blue Boy fell to the ground with a giant thump. I said Shux and went on up to the awning and discovered that somewhere I had lost my pliers. I stomped on the roof of the coach and finally got Willas attention and asked her to go to the back and find my pliers and toss them up to me. When she got around back of the coach she noticed the Blue Boy on the ground and she questioned me as to why I had taken it down. I just told her it was simpler to take it down than climb over it.

The awning is working fine now and the Blue Boy is still on the ground under the coach and the kid seems to be out of caps for the time being and all is right with the world.

God bless our troops and bring them home real soon …...
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The older you get, the more you forget about Murphy's Laws. Or should that be Seajay's Laws.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like at times your life is just in the blue tank. Mine too! As a awning demonstrater.( Fifteen years in the RV business.) To ease the friction on the awning tube lock, Grab the roller with both hands, turn it backwards to relieve the friction on the lock, continue to hold the roller with one hand and unlock with other hand.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
HAHA!! Great story!! All too familiar with it too! Just think though...you could have played soldier with that kid and had much more fun than you did climbing that ladder...of course your awning still wouldn't be out...but at least you'd be having fun...lol
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I looked at it and decided that I could probably just ''climb over'' it instead of taking it down.
This is where the problem started.. Dont you remember 'The Boat Incident'?

LMAO!

Thanks for the laff..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #6

Seajay, after reading some of your stories, I am hit with one question.................

How did this man child live so long >
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Seajay, after reading some of your stories, I am hit with one question.................

How did this man child live so long >
I was wondering the same thing!
Seajay take your pulse and let us know you are not just another "Ghost writer"
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You just can't make up stories like this! They always make my days look brighter, only the days, not me.
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well guys..... I am real and so are the stories. You gotta remember that ''when you do stuff,,,,,,,, sometimes stuff happens'' and I still got the scars to prove them.
I thank each and every one of you guys for your interest and if I sometimes ''stretch the blanket'' with a story.... you will get a loud ''cough cough'' somewhere in the text meaning you better take the story with a grain of salt.

Again.. Tks for reading my stuff. I enjoy your feed back.

Lets all thank a Vet for our freedoms they gave to us .....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #10

Sometimes it is just quicker to do it the long safe way .Shortcuts are not always shorter.Having a distraction doesn't usually help.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #11

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

You should have just dropped to the ground after the kid shot you the first time! At least you avoided the tow bar on the way down. LMAO
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #12

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay
. better take the story with a grain of salt. .....
Come on Seajay, A grain of salt- some need a block of salt .
Love everyone of them and glad you survive to live another day.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cough! Cough!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #14

Sounds like a Dennis The Menace episode!!!!
ftv37 is offline   Reply With Quote