Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #1

Bar Harbor, Maine

We're headed to Bar Harbor at the end of July with our friends. 2 families...4 kids (ages 10-14). Anyone have recommendations of things we should do? Already planning to go whale watching and hiking/bike riding. More suggestions of things to do? Thnx!
Rico1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Great place.
Kids (and adults) can play mini golf at the best place.
I think it is called Pirates Cove.
Go for a lobster bun. You get mega lobster in a bun cheaper
than buying a lobster.
Lots to see and do in the actual town. Park and spend the day.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Go to Jordon Pond for popovers! You can have them as part of your dinner or with ice cream for dessert.

The kids also likes the carriage ride and hiking the 'perpendicular' trail. Also try to hit Thunder Hole when the tide is coming in.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #4

While in ME, I encourage you to see THE REAL MAINE.

This means yes do see Bar Harbor, Acadia NP and such, but the real Maine begins after Bar Harbor. Bah Hawbah is pretty much a place to pay too much for foreign made T-shirts.

After BH, every road to the right leads to the shore or a cove. You will find villages with restaurants that have better and cheaper food than the tourist spots.
And the lobster is much cheaper farther "Downeast" also.
And the farther you go, the more down-home it gets. Eastport is awesome.

Check it out here:
http://davenola.blogspot.com/search?...date=false&m=1
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #5

Lots to do on MDI.

Take the park loop, check out Northeast Harbor, the popovers as already mentioned, and do explore the "back side" of the island away from Bar Harbor.

Bass Harbor lighthouse in (you guessed it) Bass Harbor. Southwest Harbor, home of Hinckley yachts, great little town, Seawall beach in Mansett. There used to be a great boat tour out of Bass Harbor with a park naturalist that was highly rated, might still be there. Take the ferry to Swans Island for a step back in time or just ogle the beautiful Morris Yachts made just down the street from the ferry terminal. If you like swimming in a freshwater lake, ask a local in Southwest Harbor how to find "the bluffs" at Echo Lake.

There's miles of carriage trails on the island, especially around Eagle Lake, that are great for bicycling or hiking. Most of the mountains have trails that go to the top, some of which are not kid suitable, but most are. Wild blueberries might be ripe at the end of July and can be found along many of the trails. Nothing better!

Watch the sun rise from the top of Cadillac Mountain - first place the sun hits in the US every morning.

If you don't go further Downeast (to Eastport as mentioned) Blue Hill to the south is a nice day trip.

I'd move back there in a second if my kids/grandkids didn't all live out here on the left coast.
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
While in ME, I encourage you to see THE REAL MAINE.

This means yes do see Bar Harbor, Acadia NP and such, but the real Maine begins after Bar Harbor. Bah Hawbah is pretty much a place to pay too much for foreign made T-shirts.

After BH, every road to the right leads to the shore or a cove. You will find villages with restaurants that have better and cheaper food than the tourist spots.
And the lobster is much cheaper farther "Downeast" also.
And the farther you go, the more down-home it gets. Eastport is awesome.

Check it out here:
Dave and Nola's Adventures
I'm glad I read this thread. We're heading to Maine in September and will be working our way up the Coast. Staying 2 nights each in Kennebunk and Boothbay, then 4 nights in Stockton Springs and back to 2 nights at Sunset Point Campground before making our way to the Finger Lakes via the White Mountains in NH. You are so right that there is much more to Maine than Bar Harbor.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've been to Maine several time and I love Boothbay. Make sure to visit the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay. If you're staying at Shore Hills RV park it's very nice.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I've been to Maine several time and I love Boothbay. Make sure to visit the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay. If you're staying at Shore Hills RV park it's very nice.
We are planning to stay in Shore Hills and at Red Apple in Kennebunk. Don't know much about either but am happy to hear you enjoyed Shore Hills.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #9

The route 1 corridor from booth bay up is really a nice area!! But after Labor Day weekend!! There is a state park I around rockport or Camden that has great overlook of the harbor.
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #10

If we're thinking of the same place, it's Camden Hills State Park. Hoping for clear weather. And definitely leaving after Labor Day for our trip. Hoping to catch some early Fall foliage the end of September.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #11

Yup thats the place. Mother always brings out the decorations around here for my birthday fist week in October
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2797447233.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	58748  
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #12

If you get a chance take a tour on the lobster boat at the marina. Real interesting. Showed you how they set the traps and collect them. If you catch the tide right you can walk over to the island on dry ground.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #13

Go to the National Park on Mount Desert Island, They have a CD driving tour that you can rent for a few bucks that is really good. One of the best meals of my life was at the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. It is on the South side of the bridge and you can't miss it. It can get cold up there any time of the year so be prepared.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnettc View Post
Lots to do on MDI.

Take the park loop, check out Northeast Harbor, the popovers as already mentioned, and do explore the "back side" of the island away from Bar Harbor.

Bass Harbor lighthouse in (you guessed it) Bass Harbor. Southwest Harbor, home of Hinckley yachts, great little town, Seawall beach in Mansett. There used to be a great boat tour out of Bass Harbor with a park naturalist that was highly rated, might still be there. Take the ferry to Swans Island for a step back in time or just ogle the beautiful Morris Yachts made just down the street from the ferry terminal. If you like swimming in a freshwater lake, ask a local in Southwest Harbor how to find "the bluffs" at Echo Lake.

There's miles of carriage trails on the island, especially around Eagle Lake, that are great for bicycling or hiking. Most of the mountains have trails that go to the top, some of which are not kid suitable, but most are. Wild blueberries might be ripe at the end of July and can be found along many of the trails. Nothing better!

Watch the sun rise from the top of Cadillac Mountain - first place the sun hits in the US every morning.

If you don't go further Downeast (to Eastport as mentioned) Blue Hill to the south is a nice day trip.

I'd move back there in a second if my kids/grandkids didn't all live out here on the left coast.
Thanks for the suggestion of Blue Hill. Last trip we hit Deer Isle and this time plan to hit Isleboro for new adventures. There is so much to do in the area.