Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
A IOC (Olympics) secret ballot has eliminated baseball from the Olympics after the 2008 Beijing games. This exclusion, although voted on in a secret ballot among the Olympic committee, was also the strong wish of the IOC Chairman - Jacques Rogge.

Jacques' committee came close to admitting squash as an Olympic sport, but eventually disregarded it. Golf didn't even make it that far. baseball was eliminated.

So, early next year, SanDiego will host some kind of new 'world championship' baseball championship. Whether or not this works out remains to be seen. It would have no where near the status of an Olympic game anyway.

I don't know what people outside of my baseball sort of upbringing feel though. Does baseball belong in the Olympics?

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #2

A IOC (Olympics) secret ballot has eliminated baseball from the Olympics after the 2008 Beijing games. This exclusion, although voted on in a secret ballot among the Olympic committee, was also the strong wish of the IOC Chairman - Jacques Rogge.

Jacques' committee came close to admitting squash as an Olympic sport, but eventually disregarded it. Golf didn't even make it that far. baseball was eliminated.

So, early next year, SanDiego will host some kind of new 'world championship' baseball championship. Whether or not this works out remains to be seen. It would have no where near the status of an Olympic game anyway.

I don't know what people outside of my baseball sort of upbringing feel though. Does baseball belong in the Olympics?

Old 09-29-2005, 11:39 AM   #3

It would be interesting to hear the logic behind their decision. I'm not much of a baseball fan nor a big fan of the idea of team sports in the Olympics period, aside from events where a succession of individual performances add up to a combined result, such as relay teams etc. Baseball probably has as good a reason to be there as many other team sports.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #4

I would like to see the Olympics revert back to track and field events only. JMHO
Old 09-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #5

I don't know, we already have a world track and field championship, like we have a world skating championship, a world swimming championship and a world championship for everything else. The Olympics should be more inclusive than just another world track an field championship with different name. I just think the Olympics should be more about individual performance.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #6

a couple of good thoughts from you guys,
Robsouth, I ran track for years while in school and i always thought that it was one of the true tests of individual perseverance, another being swimming. But there also is weightlifting, boxing, and like Wilber1 said .. the skatings, and sking.

But over the years i have really enjoyed watching the different countries evolve their team sports programs.....
Who hasn't heard of the Jamaican bobsled team?,
who didn't dab their eyes watching those 19-year-old American kids take on the Russian ice-hockey team and oddly enough win back in '80 i think it was? (well, maybe that was just me who got choked up),
and who hasn't watched that sport which seems to grip so many nations fiercely - soccer? (by golly, i even find myself cheering for Mexico or Spain ...)

The Olympics have made some people instantaneous world famous personalities like all those little gymnast girls, like that Italian character Alberto Tomba from the '95 Winter, and those curiously gutsy long distance runners from the different countries from Africa. I really enjoy the Olympics.

And then this every 4 year tradition that so grips me, takes my favorite sports pasttime, baseball, and votes it out. Wilber1, oddly enough, your very musings on not being a baseball fan, and both of your guys comments on team sports, were what the IOC said also in their fateful decision.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #7

When the American teams started fielding professional players, I pulled the plug. The Olympics were and always should be, in my opinion, an amatuer endeavor. I don't care what the other countries did or did not do. I will not support overpaid professional players sucking from the Olympic coffers. I don't watch nor will I ever again financially support the Olympics.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #8

FatDog

My not being a baseball fan has nothing to do with anything. I have nothing against baseball being in the Olympics that I don't have against any other team sport. It's just my opinion, if I'm in a minority then I'm wrong. The Olympics is supposed to be inclusive after all, where all other world championships are not.

Pro's in the Olympics, how do you separate them from amatuers? Many track athletes are very highly paid. If you are a silver medalist in the decathalon and are from The US or western Europe you probably make a lot of money from your sport. If you are from a third world or fairly obscure country, you may live right around the poverty line. Either way, you are arguably the second best all round athlete in the world. Supply and demand, what people will pay to see you and use your name is the only difference.

Cheers
Old 10-02-2005, 05:37 PM   #9

Personally, I thought it was goofy to include what was essentially an American sport. Yes, I know Japan picked it up along with our latin american neighbors but it is so remote from the indvidual competition of the traditional olympics. It led to other goofy US efforts like water ballet, surf boarding and snow boarding, which can't be measured by speed or distance but are "judged". We pushed basketball in when there was no one to compete. Now we are getting whacked there. I shouldn't have started this. Let it just rest with I won't miss olympic baseball. Let the games begin.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:45 AM   #10

Pros in the olympics.?
America's "Dream Team" basketball team in the '92 was too painful for me to watch. I am sure that there were some people all over the world who loved it, and i am sure many thought it was in poor taste. I was in the 'poor taste' camp. I also think that it should be the effort of the amatuers, not the pick of the litter of the professionals. I don't care what people alledge that China, Russia or others does or did, it should still be the regular people in the Olympics. I will always think that Barkley should have been a generous statesman during that Olympic competition, instead of shoving some rookie third-world ball player around the court. Real nice Charles.

But give up watching the Olympics because of the commercialization of the amateurs, ie: Dream Team?
Naaaaa, you still see the best performances that you can see on T.V. every four years, you see the best kids that the world can toss together, and witness the human drama of their wins and horrible losses. Just bypass the made-for T.V. teams. I don't know how to seperate the 'pros' from the 'amatuers' in sports like track though. It still is good watching though I think.

And baseball gone from the Olympics? Well although baseball is a wonderful pasttime of mine, well ... i never once watched a complete game of it in Olympic competition. There was too much better stuff to watch in that 2 or 3 hours of time. I'm just nostalgic about baseball i guess. But even i won't watch it at that venue. Too much better stuff to watch ... kids trembling with fright or happiness waiting for the starters flag to go off, kids just happy to be in the Olympics to give the best performance they can, kids there having a good time just to have a good time.