Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Battery Level

Well its time to service my 12 volt batteries, Just want to make sure I understand right.
12 volt battery will take 4 oz. menial oil per cell. ( Don't matter what brand )
then top cells off will distilled water if needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #2

I use the mineral oil but when i read the amount to use for each cell, I cut it back to two ounces in each cell in my 6 volt batteries. Since I put it in I have added less than 6 os of distilled water in almost two years

Old 07-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There is a basic rule of thumb per cell for 6v and 12v. However, the idea is to put enough oil in each cell to cover the surface area by 1/8 - 3/16" and of course a little more doesn't hurt.

I was prepared to do this 3 years ago, but my batteries were full. Also at that time, I removed my old Magantec single stage converter/charger. I replaced with a PD9245 three stage charger. To this date, I have only had to add water once and that was not enough to even cover the surface area of the cells if I used mineral oil. I should also add my rig stays plugged in 24/7.

Conclusion - back in the day before multi-stage chargers (which would boil batteries) mineral oil was a good choice to prevent water loss and excessive corrosion in the battery area. However, if you have a good multi-stage charger, it isn't necessary. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It only means you can go much longer before the need to add water.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
What is "menial oil"?

I would think with those small cells, 1 and maybe 2 teaspoons max per cell, not ounces, would be plenty of oil to prevent water loss. IMHO.

Working with industrial systems with 120 volt + battery backup systems, we never used any kind of oil. These large battery banks lasted 20 plus years.

Ok. Just read back and it appears you meant mineral oil.
Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
What is "menial oil"?

I would think with those small cells, 1 and maybe 2 teaspoons max per cell, not ounces, would be plenty of oil to prevent water loss. IMHO
In order for mineral oil to work, the entire surface area of each cell must be covered in oil to a certain level. So a teaspoon or so is not enough. The locomotive industry (as well as others still use this pactice) but that is because there is still not a variable charging voltage to the battery, which is generally 14.3 to 14.5v, which will continuously boil the battery.

In modern RVs with multi-stage chargers, this is not necessary.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #6

Even with multi-stage chargers wouldn't it keep the batteries cleaner ? I haven't done this yet but just that alone would be worth it.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #7

Yes you are correct, speaking of clean, it is important to keep the tops of your batteries clean also. Take a voltage tester and test the battery tops that are dirty then check them again when wiped clean !
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'll assume 'cleaner' to mean no or less corrosion on the battery connections due to decreased out gassing. The answer is maybe.

If the battery area is not vented properly, you may develope some corrosion eventually, so it could help.

I'm almost 3 years into my PD9245 plugged in 24/7. Zero corrosion on or around the batteries and I've never applied any terminal protectent. At 13.2v float mode, the batteries never boil or outgas. For 15 mins every 24hrs it switches to 14.2v to equalize them. So it's 15min @ day vs 24hrs @ day for a single stage pumping out 13.6v continually boiling the batteries.

Of course while driving, your batteries are getting 14.2 - 14.5v continually unless you have a BIRD. So again, if your battery area is not vented properly (mine is) it is more susceptible to corrosion.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I'll assume 'cleaner' to mean no or less corrosion on the battery connections due to decreased out gassing. The answer is maybe.

If the battery area is not vented properly, you may develope some corrosion eventually, so it could help.

I'm almost 3 years into my PD9245 plugged in 24/7. Zero corrosion on or around the batteries and I've never applied any terminal protectent. At 13.2v float mode, the batteries never boil or outgas. For 15 mins every 24hrs it switches to 14.2v to equalize them. So it's 15min @ day vs 24hrs @ day for a single stage pumping out 13.6v continually boiling the batteries.

Of course while driving, your batteries are getting 14.2 - 14.5v continually unless you have a BIRD. So again, if your battery area is not vented properly (mine is) it is more susceptible to corrosion.
Yes that is what I meant, mine are in the open so they get dirty from driving down the road. I guess when I have to remove them next time I'll go with the mineral oil but its too much work just for that.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
After reading this Thread yesterday I went out to check our Battery's. We have 3 Die-Hards and they don't have caps to remove to check, so does that mean they are sealed and I don't have to worry?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Yes as far as adding water, but it also tells me you probably have starting batteries for the coach. That would mean after about 7 times of running them down too much, they would be useless without shore power.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
one is from 2011 and we replaced one last year and the emergency start battery I am not sure but it has saved use a few times now. so I guess I will need to start looking @ Battery's. Thanks, Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery