Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Battery Recharge

If a 100 watt solar panel put out 6 amp per hour in 6 hours of sun you would gain 36 amp with no use. How long would have to drive (on average) to get 36 amp back into your battery?
EarlACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Would this be charging from your generator or the chassis electrical system / engine alternator? Generator, less than an hr.
The chassis alternator output would primarily be controlled by the voltage regulator, state of charge of the primary chassis battery(s) and limited by the AWG of the wiring harness etc. I'd venture a guess of well less than 6 hrs. While traveling (4-6hrs.)our TV keeps the house batteries up to snuff running the fridge. Although it's not continuous it draws 815 Watts. YMMV

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #3

A lot depends on the alternator output and any restrictions in the harness.
Some tow vehicles have 40 amp circuit breakers in line to the trailer .
Other systems , in coaches the alternator output is linked to the chassis batteries , if those batteries are charged the output goes down considerably .
So the rate of charge to an aux, battery system is a moving target.

EDIT: I see MtnTrek and I tied with similar info.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
YC1

Welcome to the forum.

It will take an hour or so as suggested. The solar makes no noise and can keep your batteries safe from a disasterous deep run down.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlACO View Post
If a 100 watt solar panel put out 6 amp per hour in 6 hours of sun you would gain 36 amp with no use. How long would have to drive (on average) to get 36 amp back into your battery?
This energy harvest would be under ideal conditions, with a tracking mount. Real world on a RV would be considerably less.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #6

You wouldn't put 36 amps in your battery, you would be replacing 36 AH, ( amp hours ) in the battery. But man, it is far from that simple.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #7

KZ RV Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I agree "But man, it is far from that simple.". I am reading a lot and watched videos to learn. Any suggestions where to learn or just the school of hard knocks?
Old 09-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
YC1

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Check this site out.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:

Are you trying to talk yourself into getting solar? 100 watt doesn't do much, but it would be beneficial to always keep the batteries charged while the unit wasn't being used.....for this reason alone it's worth it.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #10

KZ RV Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks. Trying to see if it fit us. The unit will be stored inside a shop with some windows but no sky light. We will not be pulling a car so if go any where we will drive the unit. Your thoughts and what else should I consider?
Old 09-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #11

The first thing I put in my, full time cruising, boat battery system was a battery monitor. I installed a TriMetric 2020.

With a good monitor, you can learn a whole lot about what you use and what you put back. Then you can figure out how best to put it back.

After about a year of full timing, I had a real good idea of how much solar I needed, to only need the generator on actual rainy days. Its been trouble free for 7+ years.

There is some reading on " Handy Bob " or " Solar Bob "website about solar.

Just remember we all have our own best way to do it.

If you come up with a plan that works for you, it's a good plan.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
YC1

If your storage is secure you could place the panel somewhere and run a long wire with a plug. Yes there would be a bit of loss in a long run but better than running down batteries.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #13

KZ RV Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have 30 amp service in my shop for my RV.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #14
YC1

Quote:
I have 30 amp service in my shop for my RV.
To be clear, is the 30 amp service set up for your RV? Not just a 30amp circuit for a welder or dryer.

If there is any doubt, do NOT plug into it. IF you have never plugged into it, do not until you use a voltmeter yourself. Do not trust any electrician or friend. Just because the plug fits does not mean you will not fry your electronics.

Tags
battery