Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #15

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I'll provide 1 pig and a large bottle of Jack for the PARTY!!

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklehner View Post
So does anyone bring along a BBQ/smoker on their travels? I just bought a small "bullet" smoker (weber 18.5") which turns out great BBQ with the idea that I might drag it along on our adventures.
We are new to the RV world and starting out with a minimal investment ('97 21' class C) and not sure if setting up a bbq in a campground for an all day smoke would be appreciated? We would of course share our smokey efforts!
Is this too much - such as unappreciated campground odor - or within the bounds of proper etiquette?
I carry an 18" WSM with me, and set it up on my campsite. It only really puts out smoke for the first hour or so. After that, if you're still getting smoke you've got too much wood in there.

joe

Old 06-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #17

Thanks for all the replies, good to see there are many enthusiastic to what I would call "old fashion" camp food! Way back in '71 had my first smoked trout (back packing in northern NM - true native trout) and hooked ever since on the cooking style.
DW bought a weber smokey mountain smoker for me recently as a BD gift. After the old barrel grill pushed along as a smoker, have to say I love this thing!
Now just have to figure out where to put it along with the kids (Atticus the goofy choc. lab and Clemmy the sweet heart golden). Our old (new to us) 21' class C may end up with the smoker in the tub while travelling. Always enjoy a project, though thinking maybe should have started with something bigger and newer. Ah well, live and learn!! Speaking of learning, attempted a photo attachment, we shall see of well that goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WSM.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	11342
Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #18

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
...and not sure if setting up a bbq in a campground for an all day smoke would be appreciated? We would of course share our smokey efforts!
Is this too much - such as unappreciated campground odor - or within the bounds of proper etiquette?
In general, I think you'll be fine. But I've been in some cramped campsites where an all day smoker six feet away from a neighbor might not be received real well. As long as you exercise common sense and courtesy and keep an eye on which way the wind's blowing, go for it.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #19

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Followed a rig on I-70 eastbound yesterday near KC,MO that was pulling a trailer with what looked like 2 55gal drums and a smoke stack pouring the most wonderful smell! Rolled the windows down and just breathed deep. I followed for 2 exits past my turn when DW realized I missed our turn and the truck was getting warm she clearly stated we are car shopping today not following the food! If she were not in the car I know I would have had some fantastic BBQ yesterday! We did buy a 2011 Honda CRV but I can't eat that!
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
I think we should bring all our service people home and have a big ''Pig Out'' and a party with Beer and BBQ and good fellowship.....
YES !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This thread really got me going, picked up a tri-tip. Its smoking right now!
J
Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
This thread really got me going, picked up a tri-tip. Its smoking right now!
J

You are going to share aren't you ?
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
You are going to share aren't you ?
Had family over, that one got cleaned UP! I'll be doing an encore performance at the Queen Mary in Long Beach on the 4th of July. Follow the smoke to a 1988 Pace Arrow, 34 footer parked next to a
Class B Fiesta.
J
Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We just had ham sandwiches last night made from a ham fillet we smoked. Just poured some honey over them, smoked for about eight hours with hickory chips, cooled and put on the slicer.

I had never heard of a ham fillet. Fat is almost non existent. Next time they are on sale I am stocking up.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So does anyone bring along a BBQ/smoker on their travels? I just bought a small "bullet" smoker (weber 18.5") which turns out great BBQ with the idea that I might drag it along on our adventures.
We are new to the RV world and starting out with a minimal investment ('97 21' class C) and not sure if setting up a bbq in a campground for an all day smoke would be appreciated? We would of course share our smokey efforts!
Final note -
Did some 7 hour spare ribs today, hickory smoke, chile-pepper-garlic-onion rub, used a red chile base bbq sauce on the last hour. Great smoke ring with fall off the bone tender and very moist.
Ok gklehner...you started it Now iam looking for a smoker
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #26

Thumbs up

Quote:
Did some 7 hour spare ribs today, hickory smoke, chile-pepper-garlic-onion rub, used a red chile base bbq sauce on the last hour. Great smoke ring with fall off the bone tender and very moist.

Name:   Hungry2.gif
Views: 81
Size:  399 Bytes
Old 07-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Oh my gosh, my mouth is watering for some ribs now. Dang you people. Or actually I should say thank you people. There's a new Famous Dave's in town. Hmmmmmm.

BBQ for the road? We got a Coleman Roadmate, Roadtrip, something like that. Little red thing. Love that little grill, grates will get over 600 degrees. Plenty hot enough for searing cooks good on slow with lid down as well. Routein clean up is pretty easy, so long as you spray it down with cooking oil so the spatters don't stick. Not such easy clean up after doing marinated chicken breast, then grilled pineapple slices with a brown sugar glaze. Folds resonably compact. It got my vote after comparing it to many others, including the very highly rated weber Q.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Y'all have to experience what they call Chicken Barb in Merrimack Valley, MA. It is shredded chicken mixed with lots of mayo. First time I ordered it, I thought a mistake had been made. This girl comes from the South and these Yankees have no clue what real BBQ is.....

Faith

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote