Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

BBQ On the Road

So does anyone bring along a BBQ/smoker on their travels? I just bought a small "bullet" smoker (weber 18.5") which turns out great BBQ with the idea that I might drag it along on our adventures.
We are new to the RV world and starting out with a minimal investment ('97 21' class C) and not sure if setting up a bbq in a campground for an all day smoke would be appreciated? We would of course share our smokey efforts!
Is this too much - such as unappreciated campground odor - or within the bounds of proper etiquette?
Final note -
Did some 7 hour spare ribs today, hickory smoke, chile-pepper-garlic-onion rub, used a red chile base bbq sauce on the last hour. Great smoke ring with fall off the bone tender and very moist.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
We carry the Weber baby Q and a 5 lb refillable propane bottle with adapter hose in the basement of the MH.

mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklehner View Post
So does anyone bring along a BBQ/smoker on their travels? I just bought a small "bullet" smoker (weber 18.5") which turns out great BBQ with the idea that I might drag it along on our adventures.
We are new to the RV world and starting out with a minimal investment ('97 21' class C) and not sure if setting up a bbq in a campground for an all day smoke would be appreciated? We would of course share our smokey efforts!
Is this too much - such as unappreciated campground odor - or within the bounds of proper etiquette?
Final note -
Did some 7 hour spare ribs today, hickory smoke, chile-pepper-garlic-onion rub, used a red chile base bbq sauce on the last hour. Great smoke ring with fall off the bone tender and very moist.
where did you say you were going to be camping? You're welcome to seft up camp next to me.any time.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Final note -
We won't mind the smoke at all
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

Years ago we carried a smoker with us camping, smoked everything from jerky to brisket and never had a single complaint from our camping neighbors. Of course we shared with anyone that stopped by to visit.

I don't think you'll have any problem as long as you don't smoke overnight or produce large amounts of smoke directly upwind from someone's camper.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It's a party. If the smoke bothers anyone, then they shouldn't be "camping." Isn't that what the great outdoors is all about? Getting back to nature, without roughing it ;-).
Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Give me a little while to think about this.....yep you can park next to me anytime you want to.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think you would have a problem. I have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker at home as well. I love it but I don't bring it camping due to the hassle (that means I'm lazy) of transporting it without getting everything else around it filthy. That said, please park next to me so I can enjoy the fruits of your labors.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We bring our Brinkman charcoal converted to electric. Wouldn't be without it now. Used it at least once a month during our winter escape and never a complaint. Lots of boy that smells good though. It does take up some room but we found that if you take off the tabs that hold the upper rack the top will go in upside down to make it a little smaller, it's bullet shaped. Stainless steel so it kind of looks like R2D2. We put it in a big plastic garbage bag so grease won't get on the RV compartment.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
It's a party. If the smoke bothers anyone, then they shouldn't be "camping." Isn't that what the great outdoors is all about? Getting back to nature, without roughing it ;-).
There are two different kinds of smoke - smokey campfire smoke and BBQ smoke. The first really bother my lungs and the second, I just hover around the fringes of the smoke and think, yum, yum...
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
We carry the Weber baby Q
Same here, great little grill.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Final note -
Dang - I just drooled down into my keyboard!!!

You are welcome next to us anytime - no doubt about it.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Let the bones fall baby!
J
Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Me and Willa wintered four months in Florida last year and there was two Canadian couples that had smokers. I asked them if they would like some Blues that were hitting out in the river and they said yeah so we brought them half a five gallon bucket of fish. The guy asked if I liked ''smoked Blues'' and I had never had any and Blues is not my favorite fish anyway. I left the Blues and the next day he brought us a rather large package of smoked fish. Y U M M I E..... From them on, we provided the fish and he did the cooking and we helped to eat the fish.

As to BBQ, we do that the easy way. NC has some of the best BBQ in the world if you buy it in the right places. Before a long trip we will buy ten pounds and portion it out in small bags and freeze it solid in the freezer at home. When we leave we stack it into the freezer section with our other stuff and hit the road. We get out a packet and make 3 or 4 BBQ sandwiches and have a ''taste of home'' out in Utah or Montana. There was a guy out in Zion, one of the rangers we talked to, and he loved NC BBQ. He said he would sometimes make a pilgrimage to NC just for the BBQ and to visit our Blue Ridge Parkway. We gave him a couple of bags of ''Q'' and I think he would have committed murder if we would have asked.

Hint,,,,,,,,, not many people know this but you can buy NC style BBQ in Vegas and it is really good. It is a stand alone BBQ place but I cant remember the name. You can find it in the phone book if you look .....

I think we should bring all our service people home and have a big ''Pig Out'' and a party with Beer and BBQ and good fellowship.....