Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
his hand on the top of the cooker occasionally to ''test the temp'' and adjusting flame as necessary.....
Now that proves you don't no a thing about Texas barbecuing.

Maybe you northerners call barbecuing with gas barbecuing but we sure don't.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NC may have invented BBQ, but it took Texas to perfect it.

And we don't eat salsa from NEW YORK CITY here either...better get a rope.....

We got a rack of pig ribs getting ready to go on the grill....This is going to kill you.....on special for $0.99 per pound.

Ken

Old 08-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
NC may have invented BBQ, but it took Texas to perfect it.
Ken
Just as soon as I git back to Texas, I'm gonna come over and hit you with a board. Where in the heck did you hear that NC invented BBQ? The only thing I know about NC is there are some folks there with enough hot air to roast more than a pig.

Cookin' with gas...that ain't even grillin'. If you ever drive up to a BBQ place in Texas and they have a butane tank outside its there for only one reason...winter heat.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Where in the heck did you hear that NC invented BBQ? The only thing I know about NC is there are some folks there with enough hot air to roast more than a pig.
Jim, just following up what Mr. Seajay say in an earlier post.

I worked in NC and TN over the years and while their "BBQ" is edible, it is not as good as TEXAS BBQ.

Ken
Old 08-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Being the world traveler that I am, I have had both styles of BBQ. When in NC, you cannot beat pulled port BBQ, but when in Texas, you can't beat Texas BBQ.

There is one exception. MY DW makes both, and they are the best of both worlds, her being that gourmet cook that she is. (My weight is judge)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #20

Pulled pork is just that, PULLED PORK. BBQ is from C A T T L E . I can tell a lot of you went to public schools.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Oh man Mick.. now you done went and created an argument..

BBQ is slow cooking with smoke at a low temp.. as opposed to Grillin' which is done on a Weber (type). Ain't hardly got nuttin to do with the meat. Ya can BBQ whatever you like.. cept'n in Texas where it's 90% brisket.. and maybe 10% beef ribs..

I like it all.. whether it's yardbirds, ribs, butts, brisket or salmon.. you name it.. if it's runs on 2 or four feet.. stuck to the ground of flys or swims.. I't good for BBQ'in.. vegetables.. I'll leave that to the grill.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a jealous man right now. I do love good Texas BBQ. I Q it when I have the time but that isn't nearly often enough. I did enjoy quite a bit of it this summer on our Texas roadtrip. A day in Lockhart was the best I must say.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #23

This is gonna be a GOOD thread..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:28 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Now I wish I had taken a photo. Slow cooked over mesquite and no gas used here. Dad would kill me since he's the one who passed on his special sauce and spices to me. Texas style is the only way to do it and gas grilling isn't allowed under no circumstances!
Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't want to start anything - but, Texas style BBQ is a good reason to eat burritos, New England clam chowder, balony sandwiches, left over hot dogs or maybe some potted meat on stale bread. Cattle are for steaks and hamburger. For BBQ you have to have pork or an occasional chicken if your doctor doesn't like you to have pork. They cook great meat in South & North Carolina, but the best sauce in made in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. Those nice folks up in Memphis and KC are just confused because their are use to drinking that river water and their taste buds are shot. You can get pretty good BBQ in many places (IMHO Texas ain't one of 'em) but if you want some some really great BBQ you have to come south - to the deep south.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #26

Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of beef or veal. The beef brisket is one of the eight beef primal cuts. The brisket muscles include the superficial and deep pectorals. As cattle do not have collar bones, these muscles support about 60% of the body weight of standing/moving cattle. This requires a significant amount of connective tissue, so the resulting meat must be cooked correctly to tenderize the connective tissue.

Pulled pork is a form of barbecue in which pork, usually shoulder cut (sometimes referred to as Boston butt) or mixed cuts, is cooked using a low-heat, long-cook method. With these extended times at low temperatures, the meat becomes tender enough that its weakened connective tissue allows the meat to be "pulled", or easily broken into individual pieces. Pulled pork is found around the world in a variety of forms.

Pork is F O R M of bbq. BBQ is the act of slow cooking and the use of different herbs and spices to obtain the flavor one wants.

Pulled pork was the cheapest thing that the original settlers could have, as pigs are cheap. The American Indian showed the white eyes how to do the same with deer, elk, etc, including cattle and horses and mules.

So if you want cheap food, LOL, eat pulled pork. If you want the upper level of the food chain, eat bbqed beef.

Aint this fun ?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Makes me want to get back home to Texas and run over to Lockhart for a few days.

This thread gets funner each post.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #28

When you get right down to it, a "pig in a poke" explains why the northerners used pigs instead of cattle for bbq.

Tags
texas