Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #29

Sounds like we need to have a cook off. South Carolina is the best by far
Come to West Columbia and try Maurices Piggy Park I am sure you will agree
I do plan on coming to Lexington NC and trying theirs We do like Lancasters in Mooresville NC We also ate at a place across from RCR in Welcome NC
That was a close 2nd to ours

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From that never wrong source Wikipedia: abridged for length and to support my position. Apparently we've all been wrong, BBQ is actually from Florida. I should have known that:

"The origins of both the activity of barbecue cooking and the word itself are somewhat obscure. Most etymologists believe that barbecue derives ultimately from the word barabicu found in the language of both the Timucua of Florida and the Taíno people of the Caribbean, which then entered European languages in the form barbacoa. The word translates as "sacred fire pit."[2] The word describes a grill for cooking meat, consisting of a wooden platform resting on sticks.
. . .
The Oxford English Dictionary cites the first recorded use of the word in the English language in 1697 by the British buccaneer William Dampier.[3] However, it appears 25 years earlier in the published writings of John Lederer in the proper form, barbecue, following his travels in the American southeast in 1672.[4] (On one of his three expeditions he followed the Blue Ridge Mountains from Virginia down into what is now North Carolina.)
Samuel Johnson's 1756 dictionary gave the following definitions:
"To Barbecue – a term for dressing a whole hog" (attestation to Pope)
"Barbecue – a hog dressed whole"[5]

Ken, maybe you can direct me to a place where I can try your Texas style. So far my experience there has been limited to, according to my stepson who lives there, the "best BBQ in San Antonio", and the stuff cooked up by a nephew in law who is from the Houston area. He's a real smooth talker who has conned a goodly number of people in the Gaffney, SC area, where he now resides, into thinking that his concoction up is actually edible. I think most that say it's good are the good Christian folks from his church who under no circumstances would hurt his feelings. The Carolina BBQ is good as long as you avoid the places where they serve that green stuff they call sauce. Like some of the others, I carry my own homemade sauce for those occasions when nothing but a rack of ribs will do.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Ken, maybe you can direct me to a place where I can try your Texas style.
I'm not Ken, but I'll make a suggestion - Cooper's in Llano, TX.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Rusty, I'll put it in the book and give it a try next time I'm out that way. That would make a day trip up from San Antonio.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #33

County Line in Austin, and anyplace out in the boonies that says "we dress meat in the window (usually Brisket)..

IMO- N. Carolina BBQ should be banned from associating that acronym to other styles in the rest of the country. It has never won in any BBQ "cookoff" I have seen or heard of, and what's wrong with that "BBQ" sauce? Clear Vinegar? really?

I used to fly to Fayetteville regularly and made the mistake of taking two Texans once.... Almost ended up MIA after dinner. The meat is excellent, but that juice needs to go.

My gauge: is how much the place smells like it just burned down when you walk in. My NC places were as clean as a hospital. That ain't right...

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #34

PS- Rudy's is pretty good, but not the one in S. San Antonio. You can't beat the sause tho.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I'm not Ken, but I'll make a suggestion - Cooper's in Llano, TX.

Rusty
Also Cowboys in Salado, TX.

And I don't remember the name of the place in Luling, TX.

Mouses in San Antonio, TX.

Ken
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #36
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah! If'n ya'll are in the neighborhood, like the vicinity of Galveston, TX, this place here is in Texas City, TX, and is just a hop skip and a jump from Galveston.

Grand Prize BBQ
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Thanks Rusty, I'll put it in the book and give it a try next time I'm out that way. That would make a day trip up from San Antonio.
If you want a good day trip try Lockhart, TX.

City of Lockhart: BBQ Capital of Texas

We were in a little restaurant in upstate New York a week ago and I couldn't help but notice one of their specials of the day..."Sliced barbeque with swiss cheese". I guess if you can put cole slaw on it you can put swiss cheese on it.

Tags
texas