Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
.... I said it works, and it does.

In certain circumstances, where few options are available, a solution has been found that both reduces harmful emissions and a dependence on someone else for a source of energy. Necessity is the mother of invention, I suppose.

Wind and solar does not work very well. If fact it does not work most of the time.

No one is being harmed by emissions from making electricity in the US. To be harmed you must must breath the emissions.

For example in the context of a MH, I use a ICE powered generator and I have not been harmed. I do have redundant carbon monoxide detectors.

One of the unintended consequences of the 'green' movement is indoor air pollution. As a result of making our houses more energy efficient, indoor air pollution is now an issue.

For many years I heated with wood when I lived in rural areas with cold climates. I stopped after reading results of data for air quality. It was worse than LA before emissions standards for cars.

The point here is the air quality issues of the 60s have been fixed.

Think of it this way. If you by a buy a new diesel MH it will come with pollution controls specified for a population centers in California that fixed the problem 20 years ago and 99% of us will avoid with our MH.

Engineers solve problems by find easy cost effective solutions. Hobbies and recreation are things we do for pleasure. I could have used my sail boat to get to my work assignment in China but I used airplanes. The doctor on the compound who worked 6 months a year lived on a sailboat.

So just because something works does not make it a good idea.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #394

Quote:
No one is being harmed by emissions from making electricity in the US. To be harmed you must must breath the emissions.

Tell that to the folks around here that are being warned not to eat the fish they catch because they are contaminated by mercury from the local power plant.

But lets get real. Coal contributes enormously to climate change and that effects everyone whether they live near a coal plant or not.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
Tell that to the folks around here that are being warned not to eat the fish they catch because they are contaminated by mercury from the local power plant.

But lets get real. Coal contributes enormously to climate change and that effects everyone whether they live near a coal plant or not.

Agreed. When I read the part about not being harmed from electricity production emmisions I was at a loss for words. The only thing that came to mind is how bad the education system is failing. Just wow.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #396

You think the emissions from a coal plant are bad. Think of the waste products coming from a nuclear plant. That waste will still be haunting us 100,000 years from now.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #397

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
Yeah, let's get real. Coal -- and I assume you mean the burning of coal, not the existence of coal -- contributes statistically NOTHING to climate change. Have you ever seen a forest fire up close? Well, I have. And there are fires raging on this planet 24/7/365. Ever seen a volcano? Again, volcanoes are spewing CO into the atmosphere at astounding rates 24/7/365. Either of these far outpace anything humans can do. And the climate has always been changing, from before humans right up to today. Humans had nothing to do with it before, and we have nothing to do with it now. But lots of hypocrites are getting very rich off global warming, I mean climate change.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #398

Yah this is an argument that once someone takes a side it doesn’t change. I’ll on the side of 97 percent of the scientists on the planet. The US goverment recently released a fairly sobering report on climate change.

Beyond that though, there’s always the pollution side of the coal burning scenario which fortunately evenvtge last theee percent of those scientists agree on. Burning coal is bad for air quality. No disputing that.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Agreed. When I read the part about not being harmed from electricity production emmisions I was at a loss for words. The only thing that came to mind is how bad the education system is failing. Just wow.

I don't think he problem is our education system. The problem is our only generally available sources of knowledge about most things are click-bait. And click-bait is designed to capture and hold the attention of an audience. The winner is the click-bait that gets repeated most often. So, for now, the United States is drowning in mass hysteria with reason playing almost no public role. Education won't help, its pure emotionally driven.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #400

But look at all the money to be made from carbon credits.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #401

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lets see here- No real dispute about global warming and resulting climate change. Except for the couple percent that never got the message...

Nature contributes and man contributes to the global warming issue. Exact percentages of each is not certain. Its quite true that the planet has gone through many warming/cooling cycles long before man happened along and will continue after man is long gone. But for now in our human time frames we have a climate change issue going on right now.

There's two real options; man simply accepts our fate and lets what ever will happen, happen; or we can try to do something about the problem. Since we probably can't tackle nature's share of global warming that leaves us needing to deal with the human contribution.

I guess we could always build a big wall, a big seawall around all of the low lying costal lines in the world to keep out the rising seas. Oh, but yea there's also climate changes like floods, droughts and massive fires, etc. We either try to reduce the pending problems or we have to accept the changes.

Moderator, I think this thread has a new life of its own, perhaps interesting enough but maybe a little off subject. And yes I've been posting off subject with many others.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #402

I hear you. But in todays world polluting when there are better options should plain and simply be against the law. Since that is difficult to enforce, carbon credits should be considerably more than they are. It should be at minimum very expensive to pollute.

As a human society we need to get it thru our heads that living environmentally friendly lives has a lower cost than not.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #403

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm somewhat fearful that society will insist on trying every other option before doing the right thing. Much of our government system, at all levels, simply fails to do their job.

The big question may be what condition will the world be in by then.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #404

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Are your windows open? That’s about 10 times what I use in Oregon. Your Therm usage is equivalent to a cord of wood. Have you considered an efficient wood burning stove or fireplace insert? Or maybe a home energy audit?

What does that cost?
So you don't want to use fossil fuels but a renewable that has its own problems with pollution.

They say Genghis Kahn was one of the best environmentalists ever. He killed so many people that ice cores show a marked reduction in pollution because of fewer people burning wood for heat and cooking.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #405

I see plenty of folks here asking for others (power plants, factories, other drivers) to change, but I do not see any of you parking your rigs, and doing your part to save the world. On a per person, per mile basis, RV's have to be right at the top of the gross polluters.
Yea, I want the world to change, as long as I can still have my lifestyle.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
I see plenty of folks here asking for others (power plants, factories, other drivers) to change, but I do not see any of you parking your rigs, and doing your part to save the world. On a per person, per mile basis, RV's have to be right at the top of the gross polluters.
Yea, I want the world to change, as long as I can still have my lifestyle.
Are you reading a different thread? The thread is about electric vehicles, alternative power etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
buying, rvs