Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
The problem is that they shout and dance and point fingers without actually getting any evidence. Like Rachel Carlson and DDT. She was looking for anyone to blame (but herself - another story) for her cancer. She found deformities in birds and frogs were DDT had been used. She was correct about that, but not too long after it was proved that DDT was not actually the culprit.

But, that didn't matter anymore, the ball was rolling and DDT got banned and the US stopped giving foreign aid to any country that didn't go along with the ban.

Mosquito borne illnesses made a great comeback. Since that ban, more people have died from them than as the result of all the genocides in history.

Matt
Lets hear it for the pollititions who will say or do anything for a vote.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Yup and anybody who says " I know whats best"

Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
The problem is that they shout and dance and point fingers without actually getting any evidence. Like Rachel Carlson and DDT. She was looking for anyone to blame (but herself - another story) for her cancer. She found deformities in birds and frogs were DDT had been used. She was correct about that, but not too long after it was proved that DDT was not actually the culprit.

But, that didn't matter anymore, the ball was rolling and DDT got banned and the US stopped giving foreign aid to any country that didn't go along with the ban.

Mosquito borne illnesses made a great comeback. Since that ban, more people have died from them than as the result of all the genocides in history.

So, lets make the world safe for mosquitoes, deer ticks and bedbugs.

Matt
In the Summer of '67 I was a kid at Ft Wainwright Ak. They sprayed DDT
every evening in the summer to control the mosquitos, still here and haven't developed any 3rd eyes yet.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarpetguy
In the Summer of '67 I was a kid at Ft Wainwright Ak. They sprayed DDT
every evening in the summer to control the mosquitos, still here and haven't developed any 3rd eyes yet.
Guess we're all thinking alike. I remember that for years they sprayed our neighborhood. We had plenty of birds, plenty of live people, not so many Mosquitos, no Lyme disease.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I used to ride my bicycle behind the mosquiito fogging truck. I guess that explains some things.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #20

DDT is nasty stuff and is responsible for many of our predatory bird populations decline including the Bald Eagle and the California Condor. Since it's use was banned in 1972, predatory birds are making a comeback but many still remain on or federal endangered species list caused in large part by DDT. Genetic mutations are very destructive, species specific, and are cumulative in nature.
So, what would you rather have... fewer spiders that would overcome their exposure to DDT in a few generations and become super spiders or, a world over run by rodents because we killed off all the predatory birds while sterilizing our oceans and killing off 1/2 the world human population through starvation?
I am sympathetic towards a victim of a spider bite but had we kept spraying DDT, today the world would be very, very different.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #21

I hear snakes are going to be bad also.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's bring back the DDT,,,,maybe we can find a cure for the Green Bugs as well!
Imagine Lymes disease and the comeback o fbedbugs! Priorities are in the wrong place at times!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #23

Well, after an hour of digging out the wound today and packing it I'm all for DDT. They say there is an epidemic of spider bites in Fl. and it's a 6 month or longer recoup time. Believe me, you don't want to go through this. At $136 a visit, 3 times a week for 6 months it's not something you want to do and did I say it REALLY hurts?

I was shot twice in Nam, once back home and stabbed once. This has to take the cake in pain....
Old 06-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
DDT is nasty stuff and is responsible for many of our predatory bird populations decline including the Bald Eagle and the California Condor. Since it's use was banned in 1972, predatory birds are making a comeback but many still remain on or federal endangered species list caused in large part by DDT. Genetic mutations are very destructive, species specific, and are cumulative in nature.
So, what would you rather have... fewer spiders that would overcome their exposure to DDT in a few generations and become super spiders or, a world over run by rodents because we killed off all the predatory birds while sterilizing our oceans and killing off 1/2 the world human population through starvation?
I am sympathetic towards a victim of a spider bite but had we kept spraying DDT, today the world would be very, very different.
-Paul R. Haller-
BRAVO!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #25

DDT is harmless. Global warming is a hoax. Mercury contamination in fish doesn't do any harm. Evolution is a myth.

Some people will believe whatever they want to believe, regardless of any scientific evidence to the contrary. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Joel
J Birder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #26

Some people will believe what ever 'scientific evidence' that backs THEIR cause or stand! More than one side to every stand, but we get to pick only one.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I have lived in Florida for over 40 yrs. The insect population has increased over the last years. But I agree with the DDT being band. But I am sure we have other chemicals available to kill the bugs and spiders. I am also sure it costs 100 times more But everything has a price to pay for it. Nature is a check and balance system. When you get too many checks. It is no longer in balance. I guess we run nature as we go our government budget ! :(
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Well, after an hour of digging out the wound today and packing it I'm all for DDT. They say there is an epidemic of spider bites in Fl. and it's a 6 month or longer recoup time. Believe me, you don't want to go through this. At $136 a visit, 3 times a week for 6 months it's not something you want to do and did I say it REALLY hurts?

I was shot twice in Nam, once back home and stabbed once. This has to take the cake in pain....
welcome to the recluse club. As a survivor of the bite I was impressed with the speed of the infection and the pain. I was bitten on the finger and didnt even know until I woke up in the morn and a lump the size of a golf ball was on my finger. Hurt like hell and the er doctor sent me to a plastic surgeon who fixed me up. Nine weeks of draining and digging. yeehaw!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
florida