Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I used to ride my bicycle behind the mosquiito fogging truck. I guess that explains some things.
Ha! ... as I was reading this thread I thought back to the fogging trucks that used to roll through our neighborhood in the '70's. I never had the inclination to ride my bike behind it, but there were 3 or 4 other kids in the neighborhood that would do that every time it came by.

Our routine, as dictated by Mom, was to get in the house, close all the windows and doors and stay inside for at least 1/2 hour.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder
he

It doesn't require 120 variables to know that the earth is warming and the ice is melting.

Over 95% of the scientists who study climate are convinced. is a remarkable degree of agreement. You don't want to believe it so you dismiss it all as pseudoscience. If you had actually read some of the studies, your opinion might have some value. Until then, you make about as much sense as the flat earthers. Don't bother me with the facts. My mind is made up.

Joel
Pseudoscience my butt...
The earth has been warming since the end of the last ice age, and will continue to warm until the beginning of the next....

Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs

Ha! ... as I was reading this thread I thought back to the fogging trucks that used to roll through our neighborhood in the '70's. I never had the inclination to ride my bike behind it, but there were 3 or 4 other kids in the neighborhood that would do that every time it came by.

Our routine, as dictated by Mom, was to get in the house, close all the windows and doors and stay inside for at least 1/2 hour.
I miss those trucks. My sons never got to ride behind them. All 3 are underachieving spoild brat video game junkies. 'Cept the oldest, who is a (hopefully still and forever) recovering real life needle junkie.

I'll take ddt any day.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs

I drove one of those trucks in the 80s while in college. I can't tell you how many kids would be waiting for me so the could ride in the fog. When I was younger I'd do it to though.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWhoTris View Post
I drove one of those trucks in the 80s while in college. I can't tell you how many kids would be waiting for me so the could ride in the fog. When I was younger I'd do it to though.

Hmmm.... To this day, the DW and I can be sitting out under the awning, and she'll be under attack by the mosquitos and no-see-ums and I won't have a bite. Never put the two together, but maybe because I rode my bike behind the fogger all those years ago... ya think?

Or, maybe it was due to the fogger that I think this might be a possibility.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder ...It doesn't require 120 variables to know that the earth is warming and the ice is melting.

Over 95% of the scientists who study climate are convinced. is a remarkable degree of agreement. You don't want to believe it so you dismiss it all as pseudoscience. If you had actually read some of the studies, your opinion might have some value. Until then, you make about as much sense as the flat earthers. Don't bother me with the facts. My mind is made up.

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Pseudoscience my butt...
The earth has been warming since the end of the last ice age, and will continue to warm until the beginning of the next....
Exactly! Your 95% is of the maybe 2% who "study climate" - 95% of the OTHER 98% think its baloney. Jim is correct - massive amounts of study has shown the global warming is a NATURAL CYCLE - with man-made causes contributing less than one third of one degree F every 100+ years! That is LESS THAN 3 degrees every 1000 years!

I want to know if Al Gore has to give his politically engineered Nobel Peace Prize back since it has been proven by SCIENTISTS that his global warming book is totally false, much of it based on fabricated "facts" and reports and studies that never even occurred.

I better stop ... getting awfully close to the big P word, and we don't want to get into OTHER garbage like Obamacare and Budget deficits and illegal immigrant amnesty and bypassing congress with executive orders and ........

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey, O.P.:

How ya doin' with the spider bite that started this whole conversation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
I have lived in FL. for over 30 years now and love it. All this time I have been warned about spiders and have seen and killed a lot of black widows, brown recluses and other poisonous spiders.

We have always been told not to leave our shoes, coats or anything outside that we wear and to always shake out covers or cloths we use outside before using them.

Last week I was dumping the tanks and was under the slideout doing it when I felt a bite on my left shoulder in the back. I thought it was a mosquito bite and paid no attention. Later that evening I had a lump on my back about as big as a quarter and it hurt.

The next day it was as big as a silver dollar and really hurt so I went to the ER. I got bit by a spider.

They say it will be a long time healing and I may have to have surgery. Believe me, I can take pain but this is unreal. So be very careful anywhere there are poisonous spiders.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #50

Thanks Francesca for asking. After a few weeks of scraping and packing it's starting to heal but is now the size of a silver dollar and about 3/8 inches deep. I'm now going to wound care and they say it will be a couple of months before it heals. I'm now really scared of spiders and our summer trip has been canceled.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Thanks Francesca for asking. After a few weeks of scraping and packing it's starting to heal but is now the size of a silver dollar and about 3/8 inches deep. I'm now going to wound care and they say it will be a couple of months before it heals. I'm now really scared of spiders and our summer trip has been canceled.
Glad to hear you're better- boy, that was one gruesome bite! I can sure understand a lingering fear of spiders after an experience like that.

Too bad about your trip... but, hey!
When you feel better, come on up to the Olympic Peninsula here in Washington State- we're so geographically isolated (3 sides is saltwater) that we have fewer "species" of ALL kinds than just about anyplace else in the country. I'm not saying you won't see spiders at all, but it's nothing like you folks have down South, that's for sure.

Hope all continues to go well for you
Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #52

I've been lucky to not have ever been bit by a brown recluse. Unfortunately my wife has and has the 1/2" deep divot hole in the back of her calf for her troubles. It took her almost a year for the wound to finally heal over. Brown recluse spiders are quite nasty here in Florida.

About 10 years back one of the ladys who works for me lost her brother to brown recluse bites. He was working on refurbishing his old boat, got drunk and passed out in the bed in the cabin. The bed was full of brown recluse spiders and he was bit many times in his sleep.

If it's brown and even looks like it might have a fiddle shaped mark on it's back, KILL IT.

Just do a Google image search of brown recluse for some quite gruesome pictures of the bites.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorloser View Post
If it's brown and even looks like it might have a fiddle shaped mark on it's back, KILL IT.

x2....

Here's a pic that shows the Brown recluse's size in relation to a quarter:

And one that emphasizes the fiddle-shaped mark:

Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #54

Thanks for the heads up. How awful!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I hear snakes are going to be bad also.

Yes they are we have killed 7 on our property so far this year. Some have gotten away...we are in Tennessee.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #56

I live on an island and people love to come here and dump off cats. We have a few people here who catch them, have them fixed and the island people adopt them so they aren't put down by the shelters. We have 4 of them at this time and they do a good job of keeping the snakes and rats in line on our 1 acre property. Too bad they don't eat spiders...

Tags
florida