Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba07 View Post
Thank God for the "greenies" who care about our planet.
And those who understand the ecosystem of the earth, the food chains, that we cannot kill off everything we don't like with poison that in turn poisons the human beings.
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba07 View Post
BRAVO!
Hear Hear! The bigger picture of truth.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
Ha! ... as I was reading this thread I thought back to the fogging trucks that used to roll through our neighborhood in the '70's. I never had the inclination to ride my bike behind it, but there were 3 or 4 other kids in the neighborhood that would do that every time it came by.

Our routine, as dictated by Mom, was to get in the house, close all the windows and doors and stay inside for at least 1/2 hour.
Smart Mom!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWhoTris View Post
I drove one of those trucks in the 80s while in college. I can't tell you how many kids would be waiting for me so the could ride in the fog. When I was younger I'd do it to though.
That's why kids have parents.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Hmmm.... To this day, the DW and I can be sitting out under the awning, and she'll be under attack by the mosquitos and no-see-ums and I won't have a bite. Never put the two together, but maybe because I rode my bike behind the fogger all those years ago... ya think?

Or, maybe it was due to the fogger that I think this might be a possibility.
Why do some people get bitten by mosquitoes and not others? – Avoiding Bites – Less Mosquito with incognito

It has been demonstrated that these people have certain chemicals in their blood, sweat and tears that repels mosquitoes making them unattractive. Some of these naturally produced molecules may also be masking individual kairomones, in the same way as incognito anti-mosquito spray camouflages users

If you are a mosquito magnet and happen to be around someone who rarely gets attacked, you are more likely to get eaten alive because they will be attracting their share of insects into your space, along with your mighty portion of mozzies, it means you are going to be the main meal of the day!

So what can you do to make yourself less attractive to insects?

Well, anything that cuts down on your kairomone emissions is an excellent start. For example, putting your dirty laundry in an air-tight carrier bag whilst travelling.

Certain groups of people are particularly attractive to blood sucking beasties, like fair skinned females and those of a large disposition – because of the greater surface area of skin cells; more kairomones are emitted.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #62

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Totally off the topic of this thread,,, but it fits here anyway.

AcraMax news of the weird today featured a hotel in Florida The Falwty Towers hotel.

Seeems they were in finincial trouble, in danger of going under, so the owner made a policy change and now they are doing well. The policy change: Clothing optional.

(The subject line did say "Florida" and "Not for the faint hearted" so this fits.)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
he

It doesn't require 120 variables to know that the earth is warming and the ice is melting.

Over 95% of the scientists who study climate are convinced. is a remarkable degree of agreement. You don't want to believe it so you dismiss it all as pseudoscience. If you had actually read some of the studies, your opinion might have some value. Until then, you make about as much sense as the flat earthers. Don't bother me with the facts. My mind is made up.

Joel
Remember those glaciers that created Yosemite Valley and all the other such valleys? What kind of autos or internal combustion engines caused those glaciers to melt? Seems to be some major inconsistencies here that are never explained.
The globe is becoming warmer, but man doesn't cause it, and he can not cause it. He doesn't have the power or means to do so!
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #64

Thank God for pesticides
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Thank God for pesticides
Yeah- remember Dow's old motto?

"Better living through Chemistry"!

Those were the days...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
he

It doesn't require 120 variables to know that the earth is warming and the ice is melting.

Over 95% of the scientists who study climate are convinced. is a remarkable degree of agreement. You don't want to believe it so you dismiss it all as pseudoscience. If you had actually read some of the studies, your opinion might have some value. Until then, you make about as much sense as the flat earthers. Don't bother me with the facts. My mind is made up.

Joel
Joel,

The problem is not that climate scientists may agree or not, the problem is that it is a political issue and that is not based on any true science. The earth (at least the northern hemisphere) has been warming since the 14th century. It is a cycle largely driven by the sun's activity.

In the 4th century Romans had vineyards in Britain. Haven't been able to grow wine grapes there since.

Greenland was green when the norse settled it in the 10th century, but it hasn't been since.

In 1992, they dug a guy out of the Italian Alps that had been frozen in the ice for 4500 years (give or take). At the time he got trapped, that had been a usable mountain pass for stoneage men on foot.

So, the politicos want us to drive little roller skates and shiver in tiny houses (somehow they are exempt) to save the world. At the same time, the UN has give both China and India a pass. China is putting a new fossil electric plant on line every week.

I just want someone to get the facts straight for once and not may me pay for their agenda.

MattC
Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #67

To J Birder, that 95% is a myth. While probably a majority or researchers agree that the world wide climate is warming, there is absolutely no consensus as to the cause. Too many TV shows. Think about this - do you know 95% of any population that are in agreement on any subject?
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #68

I spent a number of years in higher education and have some understanding of how research grants are awarded and what outcomes are expected. Always appreciate who funded any given grant when you use those stats. I recall a large bio-fuels research project a few years back that established that production of ethanol for fuel required more energy than was yielded by the finished product. That results of that project was cited a lot by those opposing those uses. Well, the project included the energy from the sun required to grow the corn! Guess who funded that research project? I will now retire back to my cup of coffee and drink 95% of it.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #69

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
It's a little dated, but there was a great article in Rolling Stone called "The great American Bubble Machine". It goes through some of the politics and economics of the bubbles of the past, and the motvations behind them. One of the last bubbles was global warming. It gives you some perspective on why this has become such a huge debate, and who is behind the controvercy. It's a good read.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Thanks Mike. I guess using DDT is a bad idea but there should be something to keep the numbers down of all the biting bugs. At home in Fl. I spray once a month in the house and twice a year in the yard to kill ants, roaches, spiders, fleas and ticks but on the road it's impossible.

At the campground where I got bit the manager said the place was infested with spiders so I suspect I'm not the first person to get bit. He said they spray but it doesn't do much good. As you can guess we left and returned home ruining our annual 5 month trip. We can put a man on the moon but can't control bugs without killing everything else.
The insecticides only work on "contact". The egg sacs are protected. So, if you do not spray every week until you have "knocked them back (you won't ever get rid of them)", you will be reinfested as soon as the little stinkers hatch. We had this problem in Fernandina Beach, FL. Exterminator wanted to know how we were getting rid of them, because he had never been able to get them out of our house (he was the exterminator for multiple owners of this particular home). Showed him what we were using and told him how frequent and he started using the same thing for other clients.

Speedy recovery........ But to add a little humor (medical humor, I'm an RN), our neighbor got bit on the upper inside thigh (get the idea?), he almost lost the family jewels....maybe you were a little lucky
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida