Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Be real careful in Florida - not for the faint hearted

I have lived in FL. for over 30 years now and love it. All this time I have been warned about spiders and have seen and killed a lot of black widows, brown recluses and other poisonous spiders.

We have always been told not to leave our shoes, coats or anything outside that we wear and to always shake out covers or cloths we use outside before using them.

Last week I was dumping the tanks and was under the slideout doing it when I felt a bite on my left shoulder in the back. I thought it was a mosquito bite and paid no attention. Later that evening I had a lump on my back about as big as a quarter and it hurt.

The next day it was as big as a silver dollar and really hurt so I went to the ER. I got bit by a spider.

They say it will be a long time healing and I may have to have surgery. Believe me, I can take pain but this is unreal. So be very careful anywhere there are poisonous spiders.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #2

I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
OucH!!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ouch looks like a brown recluse got you,
here is to a speedy BURN pain free recovery,

I like to think its like acid being poured into a cut.

25 years in florida we met just about every nasty biting critter,
now in texas this year the black widows are out of control
every time you turn something over, there they are
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #5

Yet another reason we love the pacific NW!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #6

FWIW

" Brown Recluse Spider
Presently, the known range of the Loxosceles reclusa, or brown recluse spider, extends from Wisconsin to Texas and from the Carolinas to Colorado. It is native to the American Midwest and South. States most affected include Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama.
However, due to its penchant for hiding in bundles of bedding or clothing, health officials fear that vacationers may displace brown recluses from their native range. Indeed, many people outside the known range report brown recluse spider bites. These bites are commonly identified as other spider bites that share characteristics with the brown recluse."
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #7

You can thank the Greenies for making most of the useful insecticides illegal. In case you haven't noticed, the bugs are taking over now. Hope they enjoy the planet after they kill off all the people.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Yet another reason we love the pacific NW!
We have the Black Widow though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
You can thank the Greenies for making most of the useful insecticides illegal. In case you haven't noticed, the bugs are taking over now. Hope they enjoy the planet after they kill off all the people.
Thank God for the "greenies" who care about our planet.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #10

killed a black widow this morning! she was under the lid on the skimmer to the swimming pool, it's the 4th one i have killed under that same lid!so before i let my GRAND Baby's in the pool you know i check it out . Damn things are pretty in a creepy sort of way.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba07 View Post
Thank God for the "greenies" who care about our planet.
The problem is that they shout and dance and point fingers without actually getting any evidence. Like Rachel Carlson and DDT. She was looking for anyone to blame (but herself - another story) for her cancer. She found deformities in birds and frogs were DDT had been used. She was correct about that, but not too long after it was proved that DDT was not actually the culprit.

But, that didn't matter anymore, the ball was rolling and DDT got banned and the US stopped giving foreign aid to any country that didn't go along with the ban.

Mosquito borne illnesses made a great comeback. Since that ban, more people have died from them than as the result of all the genocides in history.

So, lets make the world safe for mosquitoes, deer ticks and bedbugs.

Matt
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #12

Amen, Mattc. I was going to bring up the Rachel Carlson "Silent Spring" point, but I ran out of time.

Thanks to her misinformation, about 500,000 children die every year from Malaria. This could be prevented if DDT was available to the third world countries. Her poor research and sensationalism has killed a lot of people.

I like what the other poster said: "So, lets make the world safe for mosquitoes, deer ticks and bedbugs" And that is exactly what's happening.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
let me tell you about spiders this year
the common garden brown LARGE Glow in the dark eyed monsters are huge this year and only thing besides a shoe that will kill em is wasp spray. i can shine em like a deer with the maglight and they reflect light back off thier eyes in a weird green color, then bam spray and curl
then the black widows are out of control, they are even hanging out in the hot eves of our rv port, one was dangling today about five feet above my head, cooling off in the breeze of the ceiling fan. it died shortly thereafter.
we are breaking out the forbidden diazanon(sp) tomorrow and everything shall expire with 8 or 6 legs ( yes we hoarded some a few years back, only thing that worked in Florida)

these guys are so big that even the birds aren't eating them
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Lord save us from the DO-GOODERS. They know not what they do....and do... and do....

Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida