Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #1

Bears, Be Aware

This happened just outside of Albuquerque but could take place almost anywhere we go.
KOB.com - Unruly bear*charges canyon camper

Moto
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #2

I'ts best to be alert where-ever you are. Not long ago a Canadian woman was killed by coyotes while hiking.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

Never had a close encounter with a bear, but when I'd tent camp in bear country, I'd keep my truck keys close at hand at night, (along with a 44 mag.) I thought that if one did come into camp, I'd hit the panic button on the key remote so the horn would start honking. Then if things got worse, or that didn't work, I'd hit the panic button on the 44 mag.
tickranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #4

Just a quick update. They did capture a bear and did kill it thinking the case is solved. We had another bear attack in the same area on a tent camper, almost killing the lady. They may have killed the wrong bear, go figure. Here is the article: Woman survives bear attack in Sandias | Albuquerque, N.M. | KRQE News 13

Moto
Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
I worked for the national forest service and montored the bear traffic at a campground. Had numerous close encounters. My training likely saved me too. However my African Mascot..Buddy, well his first close encouter with what he thought was a bear, or something big and scarry in his mind, ended with his belining back to my rv, and refusing to get out for two days. i;m not kidding.
kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #6

Bears... The #1 threat to America
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15458311_400x400.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	4532  
Old 06-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #7

That should read:

#1 threat to bears is humans".
For some inexplicable reason we humans think we control wild animals and know what's best for them. What they really need is a good leaving-alone! Under this exact same title on escapees, you find several more reports of bear contacts. The one from Washington is just plan pitiful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #8

I have to agree Ray. The people in Washington feeding the bears really need an education. More people equals more encounters which equals more dead bears. But as was indicated in the Escapee's forum there are some wrong headed bears but I'll bet there are more wrong headed humans.
Moto