Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Been called a lot of things, but "Newbie"?

Hello everybody. I have been called a lot of things in my life, and always try to figure out their meaning, good or bad. As examples, I am listing a few of my favorites and where I was called them:

USAF: Rainbow (due to the colorful clothing you wear before entering boot camp), Pickle (wearing the drab green uniform with no stripes), Pitt (Person In Technical Training), Ping (Person In Need of Graduating), Jeep (Just Enough Education to Pass).

Fire Service: Probie (Probationary), Boot (when used to fill-in at various stations, due to "picking up your boots" and moving at a moments notice), Rook (Rookie), Tail-Boarder (hanging on for dear life on the back end of a fire engine, the good old days), LT (Lieutenant).

I only listed endearing terms, obviously there are some not so nice terms out there. When looking at iRV2's abbreviations, most are terms of endearment or simple things to save space when typing. However, I have been unable to find any info concerning the term "Newbie". Other than the obvious, is anybody aware of any other meaning or funny story that lends itself to the term? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Feel free to list any other nicknames I have missed, or any of your favorites you were tagged with. Thanks in advance for any input!

Bruce

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I think alot of us use the term "Newbie" for ourselves because we are new to this RV stuff. We make so many "Newbie" mistakes. At least we did. Now 5 years later, we don't consider ourselves "New" anymore, but that doesn't mean we won't make that stupid "Newbie" mistake.....

bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
I think alot of us use the term "Newbie" for ourselves because we are new to this RV stuff. We make so many "Newbie" mistakes. At least we did. Now 5 years later, we don't consider ourselves "New" anymore, but that doesn't mean we won't make that stupid "Newbie" mistake.....

I agree. That's generally what it means around here. Sometimes someone might use it as in just being new to this forum.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #4

Generally, in internet terms "Newbie" is someone new to a given venue (message board, game, forum, et al) Generally NOT considered a derogatory term. NOT to be confused with n00b (pronounced newoob) which is a derogatory term usually meaning the person is stupid.

In fact, when I joined the iRV2 forum my post was "Newbie to the Forums but not to RVs"

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks for all the input so far! BamaBob, I was leaning towards the "nOOb" term, so thank you for clearing that up. Call me a "Newbie" anytime!
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Thanks for all the input so far! BamaBob, I was leaning towards the "nOOb" term, so thank you for clearing that up. Call me a "Newbie" anytime!
Nah, you are over 50 posts now - not a Newbie any more

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The term "newby" has been addressed already, so I'll respond to the last item in your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post

Feel free to list any other nicknames I have missed, or any of your favorites you were tagged with. Thanks in advance for any input!
US Army Airborne: Cherry - graduated Jump School but haven't made any more jumps yet. We made 5 jumps in Jump School, and some people say you're a cherry until you have enough jumps to spell out "Airborne" - 8 jumps.

Leg - any poor joker who's NOT Airborne!

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags