Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #15

The first place I would go is my local elected state official. Let him/her or the staff explain why it is what it is. Maybe you could move a mountain and get it fixed. It won't cost a dime, just a little bit of time. The rep I would choose would be registered to the same party as me.

Washington may be a cluster blank but maybe, just maybe, you can get some action or a reasonable explanation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #16

Envy of someone who's "toys" are 5 feet longer than yours is not an admirable trait.

In all of my experiences on iRV2, I've been impressed with the members who seem to be able to afford their toys because they have earned them. Taking full advantage of educational opportunities given them, staying out of trouble, learning skills and knowledge that someone else is willing to pay for, saving their money, not living extravigantly, raising "normal" kids not thugs, working hard at what they do to earn their money, and usually not blessed with some sort of "family money" is what Noblesville is known for. Seems like a way of life that many people need to emulate rather that make negative statements about.

Sorry about the rant but America needs more 66 year old hard workers such as myself rather than 40 year olds that never held, and never qualified for, a good job. Most of us on iRV2 are average middle class Americans that didn't piss away their life when faced with challenging circumstances. Whites, blacks, latinos, and Asians have too many successful wage earners to assume that one group has some unfair advantage over everyone else. MANY people who were born and grew up on south Kentucky Avenue in Indy make my 401k look like a pittence. They weren't uncommonly envious of all of the other people, they worked to better themselves without worrying about the "silver spooned" people in Noblesville.

Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #17

By the way, thanks to all of you that have offered so many constructive comments and suggestions. You never fell to help others on this website infested with "rich s o b s". lol
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Instead of asking us if you should consult a lawyer over a couple of thousand dollars, you might ask yourself if you'd rather give HIM that money than the State. Or in addition to the State, because you'd probably lose such a claim and even if you won you wouldn't get back more than a few hundred dollars on the revalued rig.

My advice is to concentrate your efforts on establishing a true market value figure for the rig, at least in anticipation of bringing a contest before you pay next year.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #19

Here in Ontario, when you buy a used vehicle, you pay sales tax on the book value of the vehicle. If you dont agree with the assessment you can have it appraised by a certified appraiser. If the appraisal is lower, it goes by the appraisal. On new vehicles I believe you pay based on the actual payment.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
Envy of someone who's "toys" are 5 feet longer than yours is not an admirable trait.

In all of my experiences on iRV2, I've been impressed with the members who seem to be able to afford their toys because they have earned them. Taking full advantage of educational opportunities given them, staying out of trouble, learning skills and knowledge that someone else is willing to pay for, saving their money, not living extravigantly, raising "normal" kids not thugs, working hard at what they do to earn their money, and usually not blessed with some sort of "family money" is what Noblesville is known for. Seems like a way of life that many people need to emulate rather that make negative statements about.

Sorry about the rant but America needs more 66 year old hard workers such as myself rather than 40 year olds that never held, and never qualified for, a good job. Most of us on iRV2 are average middle class Americans that didn't piss away their life when faced with challenging circumstances. Whites, blacks, latinos, and Asians have too many successful wage earners to assume that one group has some unfair advantage over everyone else. MANY people who were born and grew up on south Kentucky Avenue in Indy make my 401k look like a pittence. They weren't uncommonly envious of all of the other people, they worked to better themselves without worrying about the "silver spooned" people in Noblesville.
Just wondering where this ALL fits into your origianl posting about your tax problem? When asked about the year of your Coach, easy to answer, tell them, now when ask "what was the MSRP" , Answer: I do not recall............. but I can tell you how much I paid for it if that will help, You gave them just the answer they most wanted to figure your tax statement for you.......
Old 03-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #21

I don't know about RV's but, in MN when you buy a new/used vehicle and get license plates you are charged on what the book value of the vehicle is. They weren't always like this but, too many people were going in and saying they bought a 7000 dollar car for 50 bucks and the state was loosing too much money to dishonest people. I'm just guessing but the law in your state that you're talking about was probley passed because of a similar problem.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #22

The delta between $203K and $137K is about 32%. So, $2300 would be decreased by about $750.
I'm guessing you would not sue for $750, but understand your plight.
And wish you luck

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
That's why we Hoosiers, are about to become Tennesseans.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question - it sounds like you bought from a dealer.
If you bought out of state, did you pay sales tax in that state?
If not and you brought it home - clearly you'll have to pay to register it. Will they not take a sales contract from your sale? They should, especially if a trade-in is involved.

Two constructive alternatives:
1) Offer to pay tax on cost - trade in, with the dealer that you bought it from (out of state). IF you can show out of state sales tax paid, you won't have to pay twice...
2) Make *sure* your tax assessor (person at the counter) has it right. You have a sale from a dealer and a trade is involved. They shouldn't tax you on book value.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #25

I've bought several trailers here in IN, taxes were collected on the price listed on the back of the title every time. That was actual cash difference paid, not MSRP.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ray - where those used or new? New - around here dealers collect the sales tax on actual purchase price.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The State of NH charges annual municipal registration fees based on the MSRP of the motor vehicle. Here's the relevant law: Section 261:153 Fees for Registration Permits. . This portion of the total registration fee is deductible on federal income tax returns.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Ray - where those used or new? New - around here dealers collect the sales tax on actual purchase price.
Only one was new- in 05. This discussion is making a gas powered Class A look even better.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote