Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
so just exactly what is your gripe?

to be fair, here's my history - grew up in Indiana and went to college there, stayed until 1990 before I moved out west. I had to take a course in Indiana government which included the history of Indiana property tax policy. In the 1970s, there was no sales tax and tax assessors came around and assessed the value of all your "stuff", property and everything on it. The reform was to remove the "stuff' and and replace it with a simple property tax (real property) followed up with excise taxes for vehicles and sales taxes for "stuff".

I vaguely remember the days of the assessor coming around and people trying to hide all their "stuff", and later recognized the state's difficulties in trying to determine the fair value of used "stuff".

for all the bitching and moaning that goes on on IRV2 about taxes, it's still for the most part a lot of wealthy people complaining about paying their fair share, and the argument about what constitutes "fair".

Last year I sold my mom's house on the east side of Indy for $42,500. It was 750 sq ft. My property taxes were about $3K/yr, which is 3x the amount I pay on a 2100 sq ft house in Cali. Of course the income tax in Indiana is somewhat less than that in Cali. Bottom line is that it takes "X" amount of dollars to run a government, and while they differ in how they collect it, it's interesting how consistent they are in collecting a given amount of money per income level.

Noblesville is probably the highest per-capita income location in the state, and you live there and own a nearly new 38' DP which is worth several times the value of a house in the state. IF you dropped the value to sales price vs MSRP you stand to save what - 10K over the life of the state's depreciation? and for that you want to sue the state on what's likely a constitutional issue? Just exactly how does the cost/benefit equation work out on that?

Sorry, but I think a drive down Kentucky avenue on the Southwest side might provide some perspective.
Where in CA are you only paying $1k a year in property tax?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Where in CA are you only paying $1k a year in property tax?
Yup. As a former long-term Californian (twice), I can say without fear of contradiction that there is no mad rush of people moving TO California to take advantage of those "low" taxes....quite the contrary. LOL when I read that statement. Simply amazing. And I never realized that a 40' motorhome proves that I'm wealthy....or anything else, for that matter. I do know that my checkbook and financial statements prove I'm not! But I'm still here on this forum....unwealthy as I am!

And now on with the show. Just can't help you, OP. As several others have stated, the tax situation is what it is. Tough deal. Might be a good reason to vote with your feet. A lot of good folks are....

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
I don't know about RV's but, in MN when you buy a new/used vehicle and get license plates you are charged on what the book value of the vehicle is. They weren't always like this but, too many people were going in and saying they bought a 7000 dollar car for 50 bucks and the state was loosing too much money to dishonest people. I'm just guessing but the law in your state that you're talking about was probley passed because of a similar problem.
Who's really the dishonest people when double taxation is supposed to be unconstitutional. As the state collects taxes on vehicles year after year and sale after sale. They soon will try and add sales tax to buying your neighbors old fridge etc.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #32

[QUOTE=palehorse89;1493990]Just wondering where this ALL fits into your origianl posting about your tax problem? ]

I refer you to response #9. It got my dander up. Most Hoosiers who have money got it the right way and are not ashamed of being productive, middle class Americans.
Papawto5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Only one was new- in 05. This discussion is making a gas powered Class A look even better.

Ray - - My problem is with the new excise tax that replaced the personal property tax in around 2010. The statue clearly states that your excise tax is based on the MSRP of the vehicle (and I think that includes all recreational vehicles such as snowmobiles, boats, airplanes, campers, etc.).

The tax is on a decreasing scale each year. So my tax on my motorhome was $2,300 in year one (at time of plating), again $2,300 in year two (since my purchase was in late 2010), and $2,100 in year three.

If you do not plate your vehicle (or have a required yearly registration of the vehicle), you don't pay any tax on it since there's no way of keeping track of the vehicle's existence. So the state of Indiana doesn't know about all of the campers sitting twelve months a year at our seasonal campground. But I think the excise tax on the plated vehicles being higher than the personal property tax used to be makes up for this.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #34

Indiana RV tax chart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Tax Chart.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	34832  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #35

move to Oregon no property tax on R.V.s just licence fees every two years. Also no sales tax.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1951 View Post
Indiana RV tax chart
Well, that tells the whole tale!

Strictly age-based. Period.

I'm surprised the O.P. doesn't know that, and even more surprised anyone thinks a lawyer could get around it.

On the bright side:
Since it drops like a rock to practically nothing after ten years, it's a nice counterpoint to the "Ten Years or newer rule" that shuts older rigs out of some RV parks!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Well, that tells the whole tale!

Strictly age-based. Period.

I'm surprised the O.P. doesn't know that, and even more surprised anyone thinks a lawyer could get around it.

On the bright side:
Since it drops like a rock to practically nothing after ten years, it's a nice counterpoint to the "Ten Years or newer rule" that shuts older rigs out of some RV parks!

Francesca - - Please read all of my posts on this thread. I'm well aware of the tax table and it's declining amounts based on age. My complaint was the fact that we all pay a tax on the manufacturer's MSRP. The MSRP is a bogus value that only "idiots" pay unless the vehicle has some special rarity or is in great demand.

If the table was based on what I actually PAID for it (and I can provide proof) my tax due is substantially less from the get-go. The lady behind the desk sympathized with me but said "fork it over". That's the reason for my OP.

I'm more than willing to pay my fair share. God knows I am blessed enough to pay capital gains and a higher tax rate, but taxing me on a bogus MSRP caused my angst (not that I'm paying high taxes).

By the way, I just e-mailed my state representative and I'll talk to my state senator at church on Sunday. I don't think they know how the tax is figured.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got it.. It's not a sales tax on vehicles, but instead a registration tax that is progressive (loosely based on the MSRP of your vehicle).

Stinks.. for sure.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I got it.. It's not a sales tax on vehicles, but instead a registration tax that is progressive (loosely based on the MSRP of your vehicle).

Stinks.. for sure.
Oh, I paid a sales tax too. Just shy of 10K in September of 2010. The excise tax is yearly when I renew my plates.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
Oh, I paid a sales tax too. Just shy of 10K in September of 2010. The excise tax is yearly when I renew my plates.
In TX, you'll pay a sales tax on non-dealer purchases based on book value... So they're givin' it to us down here too...
Old 03-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sure puts BC's 6% on actual purchase price paid once upon registration suddenly look really good. I'd move to Oregon if only to be able to buy 2 4s of Canadian beer cheaper than I can buy 6 packs here.

Also it would be way more fun bugging Francesca from the down side.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
Francesca - -
By the way, I just e-mailed my state representative and I'll talk to my state senator at church on Sunday. I don't think they know how the tax is figured.
Great! If you get a positive reply from them you may want to get help from other RVers in your state. They can write and or visit their Reps and Senators. You may get help from the RVDA because less tax is good for sales as well as other groups. If your serious, you may be working for the cause for up to two years and maybe more. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease (so long as it does not affect the grease the pols are getting)