Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-15-2005, 08:40 AM   #15
Who's forcast are you looking at? Last year at this time there was no forcast for fuel costs to be what they are today. No one knows what's going to happen in the next twelve months. You can camp 10 miles from home and have just as good a time as going 1000 miles. The only reason to give it up is if you want to.

2001 40' Beaver Thunder
2007 Chevy Silverado
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2005, 06:55 AM   #16
One way to cut the impact of fuel cost on traveling is to do volunteer work on the road. We work two or three weeks here and there and enjoy the time inbetween. If you work for the right charaties you can deduct much of your expenses. I am a retired electrician and always find work. I have several organizations that I help and schedule ahead of time when I will be there. Many have accomodations right there for little or no cost. Some require 6 hrs min for each person, but these also furnish food. One of ours charges 5 dollars a day for full hookups. By choice I work 8 hrs a day, but that is my choice. OUt of 6000 miles we were able to deduct over 4000. That is a good way to help people out. Some in Texas work at the local community center to help students learn etc.

Gerald Wessel
Jerry Wessel KA8MBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #17
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
After the National Rally we went up into Canada. The whole trip we burned $425 for diesel. Our last trip to Meadows of Dan, $200 and that included a full tank at a cheaper fuel stop near home. It is getting expensive but we are going to keep on as long as we can aford it. I will just go less and shorted trips. We enjoy it too much to quit.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #18
....my buggeted $5000.00 for the year will buy 100,000 miles on the VW TDI or 40,000 on my Dodge P/U or 16,000 miles on my Chevy 6500 roll-off wrecker or 24,000 miles with the Volvo and trailer.....now last year I drove a total of 21,000 miles total all vehicles...at $2.50 a gallon I'm still under budget for this year...If I cut out ***** ***** I'm really ahead.....geofkaye

<sub>(Edited out a slur.)</sub>
Old 08-22-2005, 07:47 AM   #19
I agree with Texas Bubba, whose forecast? I worked as a fuel buyer for an electric and gas utilityy back in the 70's and the forecast's indicated that fuel would go up and remain high. We always forecast what the market is doing today. Of course fuel prices came down and remained relatively low for a long period of time. I do not believe that these costs will hold. In my opinion, the prices are being dictated by petroleum traders bidding up the prices and not scarcity at the pump (unlike the oil embargoes of the 1970's). Once people begin to feel the prices are too high they will cut back reducing demand (reduce speed, combine several trips in to one, car pool, buy more fuel efficient cars)as the oil companies invest more in exploration due to the high prices increasing supply. I believe that this is already happening. For the short term, take shorter trips but still go. For the long term, hope for the best and conserve energy (I still work for that electric and gas utility implementing energy conservation programs.) We have a great economic system that in the end will force prices to the appropriate level.

kcjones50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #20
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would think if any of us drew a 50 mile circle around our home town and looked up the campgrounds and parks within the circle there would be a lot of places to go. And then a 50 mile circle around the campground or park and find the points of interest to you and your family members. I would think it would take a couple or years to to see all that's there in our back yard. This would put a lot less money in the oil componies pockets and help our local economy, as well as teach our childen and grand children the history of where we call home.
Pete & Charlene

06 33' winnebago Voyage 33V
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:14 PM   #21
Still "Newbies" but seem to have bought at the wrong time. Have only used my travel trailer 3X since purchase; the way I figure it: 10 mpg while towing, plus the cost of a site w/amenities, vs. 30 mpg in my 4 cylinder station wagon & accommodations in a 'nice' hotel/motel, going cross-country, it's a 'no brainer'.

The travel trailer is now '4 sale' despite the fact that we had 'high hopes' to see the country. Am very disappointed, but as a retiree on a fixed income, I see no other choice.

Comments, both 'pro' or 'con' are welcome.

jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:20 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our basic plan is to use the small car as much as possible and as for the truck and trailer...we just won't go as far on our trips. But we enjoy the RV too much to abandon it.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #23
Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">10 mpg while towing, plus the cost of a site w/amenities, vs. 30 mpg in my 4 cylinder station wagon & accommodations in a 'nice' hotel/motel, going cross-country, it's a 'no brainer'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When i plug into your mileage scenario about how far we prefer to travel in a day (300-500 miles), and what our typical hotel rooms cost (not real expensive, but not $40/night either) .....
.. we still end up keeping the trailer. If all costs were completely equal (you left out cooking in the trailer as versus eating in restaurants) i believe we would rather 'enjoy' the camping at parks (and our occaisional boondocking) over hotels.
To us there is something truly enjoyable at setting up the trailer when we get there, maybe cutting a little firewood, inevitably meeting a couple neighboring campers, and sitting outside underneath the awning in a $15 WalMart chair. (That was certainly a shameless plug. )
I suppose if I tried super hard, i could save a few dollars by traversing the nation in a 30mpg car, but at least to our family, perhaps oddly enough, a big part of the fun is doing a little work at the campsite and getting our hands a bit dirty doing it. Some of the best of times we have had doing that. I can't remember that kind of fun in a motel.
I clearly could see both sides of your quandry though.
And wish you good luck,
F350 PSD 4x4 SRW, BanksBrake, FOX res shocks, MagHytec, DP tuner, JohnWood tranny;
'63 hog; ChrisCraft Launch VP8.1 ;
3 hound dogs
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:43 AM   #24
Nor'easters Club
Let me add my 2 cents to this.

We just returned from an 11000 mile trip around the country. (It was our dream trip we have been planning for years). The journal is at the link in my sig. In there you'll see our general breakdown of expenses. Although the cost of gas was $2400, our lodging expenses for 7 weeks was only $1383! Try that using only hotels! We spent a lot of money on restaurants because we weren't at the camper much during the day but we could have knocked off another $2000 if we did what we usually do and cook mostly at the camper.

Please reconsider your decision to bag the camper. You already have it so you'll take a hit on the depreciation. Use it for shorter trips close to home. Find a nice state park or inexpensive commercial park and spend a week or two there instead of travelling all over the place.

One other thing to consider. How much more convenient is it to have all your stuff already in your "house" when you get to your destination. I hate trips where we have to live in motels because we spend a lot of time and energy shlepping suitcases, packing and unpacking.

Good luck.
Rich & Kay
'89 Son, '97 Daughter
'17 Flagstaff 8528IKWS, '14 Silverado
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:04 AM   #25
Just watched CNN this morning and one analysis is predicting $4.00 per gallon gas as a result of Katrina. It's unlikely that gas will ever go down now that we have shown we are willing to pay the price.

The way I see it its just price we pay for our political system. The big money behind our current presidents election campaign was utilities, drugs, and of course, Oil. Profits are way up for all of these industries fueled by the prices we pay for them. It doesn't help that the Saudi royalty are close friends of our current president. The only mistake I made was not buying oil stocks when Bush was elected.

The only hope for lower oil prices is lower demand. We have to start conserving and find other means of transportation. Otherwise $4.00 gas will soon look like a bargin!
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:17 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Crude oil and refined products are global commodities. As such, they are traded on commodity exchanges such as NYMEX - the New York Merchantile Exchange. Click the link to see current market prices. (EDIT - NYMEX heating oil is #2 diesel - unleaded gasoline is self-explanatory.)

The President doesn't set the price of oil. The oil companies don't set the price of oil (if they did, we wouldn't have seen $10/bbl oil in the late 1990s). The marketplace sets the price of oil based on current and projected supply and demand factors. When disasters such as Katrina take place, supply is disrupted and the speculators in the commodity markets tend to run rampant.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:41 AM   #27
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's unlikely that gas will ever go down now that we have shown we are willing to pay the price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Others may be willing to pay these higher prices but I just pay them because there seems to be very few options, none of which seems too viable at this time.
'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:43 AM   #28
We just drove from Oregon to AZ and had some pretty high fill ups.... the worst one was in Needles, CA.... $3.39 / gal.

But... it sure is nice not have to load and unload the car every night... and to sleep in my comfy sleep number bed!...

Click on the link to see our new Snowbird Home....

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote