Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Vegascpl </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There's not any name calling here as far as I'm concerned.

I double second the comments of the above poster. We have got to get the George Bush people out of the politics arena. We cannot stand any more years of the republicans.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2005, 04:35 PM   #58

I thought that I joined a forum on RV issues and not this sort of "information. I feel that this "information" belongs on some other forum. Realize that whatever view you hold, 50% of the country does not agree with you.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:26 PM   #59

threevagabonds

You have logged into "Just Conversation", a forum of NON-RV related discussions.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:38 AM   #60

Thank you for the information. I plan to avoid this area of the IRV2 site like the plague. Hopefully the "conversation" at IRV2 rallys, etc., (which I was looking forward to) will not be filled with carping and whining and pointing blame!
Old 09-04-2005, 06:12 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Threevagabonds, the "Just Conversation" area is very much like you will find around any campfire. When you get a varied mix of people with different interest and backgrounds in one spot, anything can be discussed.

This what makes RVing so great. Sharing of thoughts and experiences are the things that my wife and I like about RVing. Some of the conversations will be centered around RVs, family, church, hobbies, pet peaves and so on.

So jump in with both feet and enjoy.

Ken
Old 09-04-2005, 09:07 AM   #62
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Threevagabonds:
Thank you for the information. I plan to avoid this area of the IRV2 site like the plague. Hopefully the "conversation" at IRV2 rallys, etc., (which I was looking forward to) will not be filled with carping and whining and pointing blame! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good afternoon ThreeVagabonds:

To give you a little background, we debated long and hard about adding a "Just Conversation" forum. But coming to the realization that most Members like to discuss issues other than RVing occasionally, (can you believe that? ) we felt it this should a part of iRV2.

Here is item #1 of the rules that apply: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is not consistent with the permissible uses outlined by the Terms of Service (TOS) including, but not limited to, content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abrasive, harassing, hostile, defamatory, inciting brand wars, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, vulgar, profane, sexually explicit, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive, religious, illegal substances, illegal activities or otherwise objectionable. <span class="ev_code_RED">NOTE: disagreements and intellectual disputes are not viewed as hostile content as long as the arguments address the Members statements and not their personalities</span>. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We realize that Politics is a hot button with many Members which is why this forum is monitored so closely. Heck, with all the difficult issues in todays world, it's a hot button with our families and friends.

Normally, we end up wanting to arrive at results that are similar to some degree but our methods and timetables may differ based on individual influences going on in our lives.

And that's what can make political conversations so difficult as we individually see things through our own perspectives and experiences.

Anyway, as stated above, as long as Members debate Statements and not Personalities, the exchanges are allowed. At the iRV2 Rallies when your looking a new Member/Friend in the eye, such issues rarely come up.

Dave
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #63

Uh-oh !!!

Hopefully, none of my posts has exceeded the TOS in your guidelines. If so, I sincerely appologize.

What I really enjoy about "Just Conversation" is that it gives all of us, with different backgrounds & different points of view, the ability

to express our opinions.

What the 'hey', our elected politicians, whether they are Rebublicans, Democrats, Liberals, Conservatives, or anything in - between, sometimes become abrasive in comments about each other & their policies. That's what make this country so great. The ability to speak freely without fear of retribution.

As an aside, just a bit of info about myself. I am a retired NYC firefighter, & in my 28 years in the fire service, I have lost a # of friends, brothers, not to mention the 343 brave souls who died on 9/11. I CANNOT, & WILL NOT ever forget the horrendous acts of terrorrism our country sustained on that day. God Bless America !!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:52 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Mike Crystal never had a clue as to what we were going to be facing today and tomorrow when he started this topic on August 12. Now look at the fine mess we're in and where it's headed.

Some of you folks need blinders, you can't stay focused on the topic and you take it in directions that do no one any good.

My old buddy Tomcat F15 would have loved to hammer on guys who talk out of both sides of your mouth. One thing about old Tomcat F15 he hit hard and straight, too bad some couldn't take the truth.

Radarr
Old 09-24-2005, 04:38 PM   #65

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If demand is driving the price of oil and subsequently the price of gas/diesel then how about if we ask our politicians to:
a) Reduce the interstate speed limits to 55
b) Place a moritorium on auto racing

Comments?

Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:08 PM   #66

I am tempted to think that these suggestions, both a & b are meant to be a joke, so let me add my rediculous suggestion to your list. (c)I propose that you do not take your motorhome on any further trips unless you take at least six other family members along. (if you do not have available family, start asking neighbors to accompany you) After all, the fuel used to move a vehicle over 30 feet long should require at least eight persons aboard to make the most use of the fuel involved. This will of course bring down the price of fuel. NOT!
Old 09-24-2005, 10:51 PM   #67

I've got to get my dog into this fight.
Fact 1, In Engineering school in 1948, my class in automotive design agreed on theoretical grounds, that the ideal compromise internal combustion powered vehicle would be a hybrid much like the present Japanese Hybrids. It only took 55 years and a few improvements in batteries and electric controls to come about.
Fact 2,During WW II the Nazi war machine was heavily and successfuly dependent on liquid petroleum products derived from the abundant low grade coal deposits in Germany. To the present time a large percentage of South Africa's gasoline is derived from coal. There is a tremendous quantity of coal available, and only the RELATIVELY LOW COST of crude oil has prevented it from being utilized for petroleum in the U.S.
Fact 3, During the phony oil shortage in the 70's development work was done on both oil sand and oil shale recovery, and success was achieved in both projects. Oil sand recovery was lower cost and has gradually been building up as a source of refinery feed. Oil shale recovery was more costly and needed further development to become commercially feasible and has been shelved for the time being. Only the RELATIVELY LOW COST of crude has prevented both of these programs from being fully operational.
Fact 4, The average Fleet miles per gallon increased steadily through thru the 60's and 70's until the high prices of the late 70's receeded to the level of the 60,s. They then levelled of and remained essentially constant for the last 25 years. IMHO This was brought about by the automakers discovering and exploiting the "light truck" exemption to the EPA mandated fleet mpg standards, and the macho male urge to have the meanest machine in town.
Fact 5, The price of unleaded regular gasoline, adjusted for inflation, reached $3.00 per Gallon in 1979/80, receeded to under $2.00 in the 80's and has now climbed back. IMHO, it will fall to somewhere aroud $2.00 when the effects of the hurricanes, and the Iraq War wear off.
Fact 6, The US has approximately 5% of the world's population, and uses approximately 25% of the world's energy from all sources, to maintain our chosen lifestyle. With the advent of the Information Age the young people through out the world have got a look at our purely Americen Life style and relative comfort, and appear to be ready to go to great lengths to emulate it.
Fact7, About the same time my assosciates and I were contemplating the Hybrid automobile, an American Politician named George Wallace made a bid for President on a One World platform.IMHO his vision was even longer range than ours.
Opinion 1, The petroleum age in all it's permutations will last several more generations.
Opinion 2, If I make and sell something for $265 and make a profit of $25, that profit is entirely reasonable, seeing that I gathered the material, changed it into something useful and delivered to the customer. Check the 2004 financial report of possibly the largest Oil Company in the US,ExxonMobile. Changing $ into Billions doesn't make less than 10% profit obscene in spite of expressed political statements.
Opinion 3, No person now living will see the end of the petroleum age, nor would recognize the world wide energy supply system that follows it, or the political systems that manage it.
Most fervent Hope; that enough rational humanists remain in political power world wide to manage the major dislocations, upsets and stresses that occur during the next few generations to prevent those with suicidal impulses from overwhelming Humanity.

Sleep well.

Cisco and Pancho,
DickNJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:40 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
BEING FORCED OUT, thats an oximoron, not in it's term, but rather in what we have been set-up for.

Look at the whole picture, we've actullay been set up for a big fall.

1. Every conceivable company that deals with some facet of the internal conbustion engine are in competition with each other to conquer it's market place by selling the most number of units, and guess what? We are right there fueling the fire. [Our appetite for products that are dependent on the use of Internal Conbustion Engines]
2. Work place locations use to be in walking distance or bicycle riding distance or we worked at home. Now, we drive for hours sometimes to get to our jobs, so we can make that extra 25 cent per hour more. [Where and how far we go to get to our jobs]
3. Some if not most of the things we do for enjoyment and relaxation are now dependent on some form of energy and the companies envoled compete to get more of us envoled, and it then becomes a way of live for us. [Our ways of life have become extremely mobile, there by causing more use of petroleum products]
4. As our population increases, so does our use and desires for petroleun products, which drives the market place to design, manufacture and sell more.[ Our hunger for petroleum powered products is never ending]

These are just a few of the reason why we are- where we're at and how we got there. Until alternate sources of reliable energy are found, develpoed and made available, we'll be at the mercy of those who have the products we need and use.

Radarr
Old 09-25-2005, 05:09 AM   #69
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Canuck:
b) Place a moratorium on auto racing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Canuck, In the relative scheme of things, auto racing fuel consumption doesn't amount to the size of a pimple on the butt of a gnat. Trying to convince anyone here in the south that you need to check up on auto racing isn't gonna happen. That dog just won't hunt. You may as well try to cancel church on Sunday but that isn't going to happen either.

Now if you can find someway of reducing the consumption of the single greatest task aside from daily commuting that uses gasoline or fuel then you would have made a difference.

Any guesses ....

School Busses
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:01 AM   #70

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I am pretty sure that ol' Canuck knew exactly what he was doing with that answer of his ,

take the Southerner's racin'??
you'd probably save more fuel down there if you could just get them to quit lighting their BBQ's with so much lighter fluid.

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote