Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #1

How many of you are being force out of RVing by the price of gas! My family has reached the breaking point, I am not a wealthy man. With the predictions of gas toping $3.00 a gallon next summer we are considering selling. It will break my heart to make that decision. I really love traveling with my wife and kids. Is there a good resource for finding resale values for your rig? We own a 2000 Winnebago class "C". How can I find out how much it is worth?
Thanks for your help.
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #2

How many of you are being force out of RVing by the price of gas! My family has reached the breaking point, I am not a wealthy man. With the predictions of gas toping $3.00 a gallon next summer we are considering selling. It will break my heart to make that decision. I really love traveling with my wife and kids. Is there a good resource for finding resale values for your rig? We own a 2000 Winnebago class "C". How can I find out how much it is worth?
Thanks for your help.
Mike

Old 08-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #3

Here is the RV Section of the NADA Guides.

1998 TowLite 18TD
BigPackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #4

Mike:

Have you investigated camping opportunities near and close to home?

I know that as retirees on a fix income we have given up going to the SouthWest in the winter months and only travel the 1000 miles to S/W Georgia in October, return home for the Hollidays, but we leave the trailer there in storage. We then go back for the balance of the season coming home in May. So we tow a total of 2000 miles, compared to the eight or ten thousand we used to go when we went to Cal, Az, N.Mex and Nev.

In fact, we now spend less on our snowbird trip then we used to and that includes an annual golf membership in Georgia.

Just a tought, if you really like RV'ing with the family it may work for you.

Cheers:

Bob

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:54 AM   #5

Mike, even if you and your family only use it occassionally it is still more cost effective than renting a hotel room, going out for meals, etc. ..... and lots more fun ! ......
Take shorter trips, closer to home ....

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We are fortunate to live in a vacation area. When we go it is often less than 50 miles from the house. Many Forest Sevice and National Park campgrounds locally. And because of the fuel costs many of them have spaces available.
Chet
p.s This is probably the worst time to sell an RV. With the cost of fuel where it is. But who knows. There are a lot of sites to sell on line.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #7

Mike, maybe you could try and find some way of making some $ on your trips to offset the costs. Deliver someones car or, boat. Do you have hobbies or skills you could trade for camp sites etc. I announce bike and tractor pulls and rodeos on the side. I get free camping, electricity often and paid enough to cover gas& food,beer. have a great time meet new folks and get away from home. Just a thought. Scotty.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:33 AM   #8

I think some of us older ones saw this happen back in the 70s as well. It took a while for things to come back but the campers with families to raise, got out of camping with trailers and traveling and turned to activities closer to home. I'm actually more concerned about the daily cost of the parks rather than the fuel prices.
We have many alternatives to getting our fuel from the ground and the Mid East and maybe the higher prices will force this to happen. I wouldn't be too quick to sell just yet because things will change. Maybe for the better or maybe worse. Selling off your trailer when no demand or a perceived lack of demand could be a bad financial move.
I would ride this out for another year and see what happens.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:08 AM   #9

Location: Pasadena, MD, USA (between Baltimore and Annapolis)
Being retired, we're almost to the same point of being forced out. But, this year we're going to bit the bullet and make that cross country Snowbird trip despite the cost. It might be the last one though. We are going to look into storing the fifth wheel in Arizona.

I agree, now is not the time to sell. However it may be a buyer's field day!

Time is getting short. An old surveyor colleague of mine used to say,
"Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast!" I now know what he meant and that's how I'm living today.

Jack Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:34 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Mike, don't give up yet! There have been issues in the past that have caused RVrs to temporarily change their recreational plans and I'm sure that there will be more in the future but this is too good a pastime to drop out of entirely.

We are fulltimers currently in Florida and had planned on heading for Texas next spring but are staying put until gas prices ease. Both of us are getting jobs at Disney to build up some cash reserves for when we start traveling again.

But sell our rig? Not on your life!

Dave
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:30 AM   #11

I agree with Jack and going to bite the bullet and go. I have a trip planned for 6 mo and will do about 6500 miles. Gas comes to about $2292 at $2.50 and $2750 at $3.00. This is give and take some but if my Doc. says I can go I,m not going to let $500 hold me back. I believe this will stop somewhere and prices will maybe come back down some. After spending all this money on an RV and enjoying this lifestyle and I think you should hold off before selling. Like other will do camp closer to home until things settle down.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Mike,
I went from a late model 33' Class A, to a vintage pop up. When the cost of RVing became unaffordable to me and my family, we made sacrifices to make it affordable again.

Hang in there!

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:22 PM   #13

Hi Mike,

I can fully understand why you feel the pinch, we aren't Rockerfeller's either. We toyed with giving it up, but decided that it wouldn't be cost effective to trade over to a timeshare or stay at hotels, not with 5 of us. Some hotels want to make us take ajoining rooms.

We just came home from Myrtle Beach-round trip from NY. It was 3 tanks full down and 3 tanks back. The gas was MUCH cheaper everywhere but here where we are in NY-today it's 2.55 to 2.68 a gallon in my town. I paid $80 today to fill my suburban. It was MUCH cheaper on the road. I saved money by going away. But there are plenty of campgrounds within a 1 1/2 hour drive of here and plenty of sight to see too if we chose to stay closer to home.

I'd research what is around you before you give it up. Even if it means shorter trips, it also means you still get to enjoy camping.

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:51 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for your encouragement, selling is the last thing I want to do. I just may have no other choice. I agree that even with gas at $3.00 a gallon taking "The Ark" as we call our RV is still the most cost efficient way to go. But I guess that's the point, if we can't afford to take The Ark we can't afford to go. And yes selling now scares the daylights out of me. I am sure I cannot get what she is worth. I will not do anything right away, I need a good long time to think about it first!