Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bells's Palsy?

Woke up Saturday morning (had bad headaches Thurs and Fri afternoon at work) and my left side of the face was paralyzed. Once I did self testing to make sure it wasn't a stroke, I found the Bells Palsy was the diagnoses.

Worse Sunday morning, so I went to the ER, verified, put me on pred.

Weird thing Thurs and Fri I couldn't taste things right, didn't know that was part of it.

But still having bad headaches that pierce the pain pills, gonna go see the regular MD today.

This is really a common occurrence I guess, takes a few weeks to get over, so I'll be looking forward to that!!

Anyone else had this? Discussions? Help? Ideas?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #2

praying for you Kent my X said it is common
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yes, very common, I understand it is.

But I'd like to hear about others experiences with it, timeframes, recovery, tips, etc.

Thanks Dave!! Prayers always are welcome and a blessing!

btw, we still have to get those stairs fixed. The RV Tech is coming to do the roof maintenance/repairs tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #4

Kent... it might just up and go away...I have a cousin that has Bell's...and one day it hits him...face is drooping and he has no motor skills or muscle tension there....then wham...it is gone. Comes and goes. I hope this gives you hope and something to consider.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
Community Administrator

I can't help with your question but wish you a speedy recovery.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
It affects people in different ways. When I had almost 50 years ago (I was a freshman in college), I was shooting pool at the student union and suddenly noticed I couldn't close my right eye. I later found I had trouble drinking from a glass because the right side of my mouth was paralyzed. I saw my gynecologist (I knew him from Church and trusted him more that the school quacks...er...doctors) and found out it was Bell's Palsy. He said it's caused by the seventh peripheral nerve of the face getting pinched, usually from an inner ear or other infection. He shot me up full of antibiotics, etc. (I got a shot in each cheek and arm) to try to knock out the infection (that had me walking funny). I had to tape my right eye shut because I couldn't blink it to keep the cornea moist.

Over all, I was really lucky. I had a mild case and only had paralysis without the face drooping. It quickly and gradually healed almost completely with only tiny residual effects still remaining. Even now, my right nostril is slightly smaller than the left, my right eyebrow will not rise quite as high as the left one, and the right side of my mouth and lips aren't quite as wide and full as the left side; the right corner doesn't rise quite as high as the left. All of that is so slight, one has to know what to look for to see it.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

I had it a few years ago and it scared the hell out of me. Mine began with an eye irritation so I went to my optometrist who gave me drops for dry eye.
I was scheduled to be away from home for a few days to off I went with my drops.
Well, woke up the next AM and reached over to have a drink from my bottle of water and the water just ran down my face. Got up to look in the mirror and saw the left side of my face drooped and I could not control my mouth to even drink water.
After the initial panic of having a stroke, I did the self check routine and carried on with my project for the next two days before I headed for home to see a doctor. (This was a remote location without easy medical access)
Once I got to see my doctor and he diagnosed Bells Palsy, he put me on meds and the condition went away in a week or so.
But, here is the thing my doctor informed me of.
The window for treatment is about 3-4 days. If you wait any longer, the condition will come and go for ever. Fortunately for me it has never returned.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Woke up Saturday morning (had bad headaches Thurs and Fri afternoon at work) and my left side of the face was paralyzed. Once I did self testing to make sure it wasn't a stroke, I found the Bells Palsy was the diagnoses.
Weird thing Thurs and Fri I couldn't taste things right, didn't know that was part of it.
But still having bad headaches that pierce the pain pills, gonna go see the regular MD today.
This is really a common occurrence I guess, takes a few weeks to get over, so I'll be looking forward to that!!
Thanks!
Lincolnboy2
My 18 year old grand daughter had Bell's Palsy on the left side of her face last October.
Although she is much improved...sadly 8 months later it still has not completely gone away.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes - had it several years ago and recovered with steroids (they gave me too many at first and got me goofy) but I do still have a very slight drool at times in the left corner of my mouth - and that is the only residual for me. Take care and prayers for your full recovery.

And yes, it was scary - I thought I was having a stroke. I was brushing my teeth and could not spit out the water!!

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had Bell's Palsy about 30 years ago (age 33), my son had it about 15 years ago. Prednisone prescribed both times. Both enjoyed full recovery in about a week, or so. I was a Navy pilot at the time. My Flight Surgeon kept me grounded until I could whistle.

Ralph Nader also suffered Bell's Palsy, with less than a complete recovery.

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I had a neighbour that had it and it lasted about six weeks for him. He had it once before as well. His symptoms were droopy face, loss of taste and a very dry eye.

I also had an aunt in a nursing home age 90, that had once had a serious stroke years back. She came down with belles and had the same symptoms. She could not taste any of her food and they had to purree everything because she could not chew her food. They also had to thicken all of her liquids so she would not choke on them. I suspect that it was because of her age and failing health that it went that way for her.

I hope yours clears up soon for you.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #12

Had it once around 10 years ago. Lasted about a week. Very common.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I had it back in late Oct thru early Dec. 2014. about 6 or 7 weeks. Went to ER and on the way there Hubby and I were talking and we figured out it was BP before we got there. ER confirmed it. after cat scan and a bunch of blood tests. Didn't have headaches just the paralysis. was the right side for me. Was told that it could come back in 3 months but made it past that date and have been fine since. Was tired all the time so slept a lot on couch or bed.

Had no appetite, 99% of food tasted awful. (side effect of BP) Mrs. Grass chicken soup. cherry flavored water was the only thing that tasted half way okay. Drank cherry drink through straw to keep from dribbling down blouse. No cure and they don't know what causes it or why some get it and some don't. It took about 6 weeks to get back to "normal" but it was a slow process. Saw slight improvement each day. Worst I would say was my right eye didn't blink, close, nothing so I made sure when I went to sleep I would physically close my eye and made sure I was laying on right side to keep it closed.

Plus side, I lost 50lbs but then I needed to lose it and half my face had no wrinkles for 6 weeks.
chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #14

I Nancy Zieman of the PBS show "Sewing with Nancy" had Bell's Palsy when she was 14 months old.
Nancy to discuss her Bell's palsy on sewing show : Wsj
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote