Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
Agree, Snows in Lexington Texas is good. And Cooper's in Llano. Kreitz's, Black's, and Smitty's in Lockhart. Louie Mueller in Taylor. Mueller is another one of those that serve on butcher paper. And they do not have any sauce. If you ask for sauce, they will get a little juice from the bean pot and give that to you. They believe the meat speaks for itself.

And since I was born and raised in Texas, I think BBQ is beef. I prefer it to pork BBQ. Just my personal preference. Making me think maybe tomorrow I need to go over to Taylor and get me some Mueller's. It is only about a half hour drive. Anyone on here hungry?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Making me think maybe tomorrow I need to go over to Taylor and get me some Mueller's. It is only about a half hour drive. Anyone on here hungry?

ronspradley
Oh sure, rub it in.

Hungry? Every time I come back to this post.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Here you go. 50 best BBQ Joints in Texas. Although I live and work around Austin, I have never been to Franklin's. I'm not waiting in line 2 hours for any BBQ, sorry. Too many other good choices. It hasn't even been around for that long. Something to do with the beef he uses. Opies is about 10 mi up the road from me. It is a Cooper's knockoff. There's one around the corner from me that is not even on the list that everyone loves, called It's All Good., and it is.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #46

Hickory Log barbecue in Spindale North Carolina has the best sliced barbecue I have ever tasted and I have eaten all over this Great Country. Shealys barbecue in Batesburg South Carolina is also excellent and they offer a buffet that is unbelievable.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #47

I can't possibly imagine anyone making chicken better than Keaton's BBQ near Statesville, NC does it. It is ridiculously good. A friend took me there during my first visit to North Carolina in 2009. I've been back to NC three times since and have visited Keaton's on every trip.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
all sounds good but the best i've had is setting with a ice cold beer looking at the gulf of mexico and charcoal grill smokeing
no hurryes no worries bob,linda & missy setting in the keys
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #49
doc

Appalachian Campers
Never had the one in Tuscaloosa, but Dreamland in Birmingham has the best ribs I have ever eaten. One guy is steady putting ribs on the fire and taking them off (hickory fire and smoke) Small place but you stand in line at lunch I would not go to the area at night, but lunch is fine.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Double Chile Cheese Burger with Chile Fries at Tommy's in LA Calif.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rumor has it they are moving to Brunswick but in Darian, GA, (I-95 Exit 49) at the intersection of GA 251 and US 17, is a little (Way too little) place called Billy's BBQ.. Now, just so you understand any bias I might have.. Billy also owns the RV park where I'm stuck till I get a new motovator (Engine).

My Son-in-Law speaks bad about the Pulled Pork, and in truth, i've tried it and was not impressed.

The Sausage, likewise was nothing special, Basically same as you'd get across the street at the Bi-Lo. (more on that later).

The Ribs.. I have never tried as,, Well, they ran out.

The Brisket.... BEST I HAVE EVER HAD.

Now.. one day when I was there a couple came in and wanted a beer with their lunch.. I goofed, Told them to buy lunch then to to Bi-Lo and get the beer (They had an RV to dine in)

Should have told 'em to go to Bi-Lo first.. here is why

On the back of the reciept is a coupon, 1/2 off on the2nd meal at Billy's (25% net discount).
Old 02-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #52

Our vote is for Cooper's in Llano, Texas.

We have a rule about BBQ places. If they serve french fries, walk away. It's been our experience the the really good BBQ places will not serve fries.

Cheers
Logicality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:54 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
No Fries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicality View Post
Our vote is for Cooper's in Llano, Texas.

We have a rule about BBQ places. If they serve french fries, walk away. It's been our experience the the really good BBQ places will not serve fries.

Cheers

No way! You've got to roll them fries into the smoky taste and sauce, dab with a little ketchup, dip in the bean sauce with the mollasses base then finish off with a smack of garlic toast, now that's eatin fries southern style. BUT, those fries got to be on the crispy side ummmmmmm......good!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #54

Hello S-n-L,

I've been a judge with KCBS for about 9 years also, possibly we've been at the same table as we're from PA.

For us, KCBS comps give us a direction to go to try all of the road side places everyone on this post is describing. We leave in 2 weeks for Georgia and Mississippi to start our season.

I hope I haven't had the best BBQ yet, its like searching for the Holy Grail.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:53 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Memphis BBQ in Southaven, MS. Live in Memphis and it's my favorite. IMO Rendezvous is over priced and over rated.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Memphis BBQ in Southaven, MS. Live in Memphis and it's my favorite. IMO Rendezvous is over priced and over rated.
I drove by Memphis BBQ a couple of weeks ago. Melissa Cooksey's all over television, and she's won Memphis in May 1st place year after year. Her partner in the restaurant has also one 1st place in ribs at MIM--the Superbowl of Barbeque.

How can their barbeque be beat with those credentials?

And the restaurant is nice--on a busy interstate exit. So many good barbeque restaurants are in neighborhoods where you have to take your magnum with you.

I agree that Rendezvous is a little high in price, but the ribs are still good most nights. When I started going there in 1968, the rib plates were $1.75 and $2.75. No longer like that. But I now eat the barbeque sandwich when I go there.

Though I've been away from Memphis since 1986, it's a city with superior barbeque (to other cities.) Too bad so many great barbequers don't know how to run restaurants--and have gone out of business. And put me on the record--Barbeque is pork, not beef.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote