Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #57

Bennetts BBQ, Pigeon Forge, TN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Rendezvous Ribs in Memphis. On a back alley near the Peabody hotel. A cabbie guided us there and we were NOT disappointed!
X2! Corky's is (used to be?) Pretty good too.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:26 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Hey BBQ Judge,

Don't you just love judging BBQ. This past summer when we were in Florence, OR we judged a competition and had some of the best BBQ.

We will soon be heading to Austin, TX for one month to visit my son. I plan on hitting lots of BBQ joints while there.

Last June we started full timing so I needed get rid of my Treager pellet smoker and Weber Rocky Mountain smoker as well as my big Weber gas grill. It was a sad day but worth getting rid of in order to full time!!!!

FYI, I am right with ya trying to find the Holy Grail of BBQ.

Stuart
Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Bob Gibson's in Decatur Alabama.
Their pork shoulder has won 8 championships.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 AM   #61

When we decided to get an RV I didn't even think about how many BBQ tour opportunities it would open for me. This thread has given me one more good excuse for buying the class A.
I have only judged one contest so far but I would love to become a regular on the "circuit." What a great way to see the country, eat great food, and provide a valuable service.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #62

Do not have to be without a pellet grill when fulltiming. We have a Green Mountain Davey Crockett that runs off both ac/dc power. Why go out when the best smoked meats can be made at the RV. For us, BBQ means just a dry rub and no sauce.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrey View Post
Bob Gibson's in Decatur Alabama.
Their pork shoulder has won 8 championships.
We all know that Chris Lilly is as fine of a barbequer as there is. And Big Bob Gibson is a well run, large restaurant. But the quality of the barbeque in the restaurant is no better than other local barbeque restaurants.

Too bad competitive contest barbeque is not served in restaurants. I guess it's too time consuming and ultimately expensive to make.

And it's a shame that the press keeps saying Big Bob Gibson's white barbeque sauce that goes on his smoked chicken is for pulled pork sandwiches.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #64

Bamaman,

Not trying to start any kind of argument other than discussion, but competition BBQ and what is served in restaurants is not different in preparation/cooking until it comes off the smoker. Competition BBQ is fresher off the smoker as the teams only have a 10 minute turn-in window for their respective entries. Restaurants have to keep their products available for all of their hours of operation.

Perhaps S-n-L will back me up, but not all competition BBQ is top of the line; even experienced teams have good days and bad days. Some teams are brand new to competition and it takes them time to learn all the tricks of the trade. I explain to people that in an average completion, I get 25% great BBQ, 50% good BBQ and 25% below average BBQ. Some days these numbers vary but I think you can get the idea.

I'm sure that most of the BBQ restaurants listed in this post are producing very good BBQ or they wouldn't stay in business. You don't have to be a judge to get good BBQ as these posts point out. Being a judge is a tough job; somebody has got to do it and I'm glad I volunteered.

Keep hunting that great BBQ and good eating.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #65

My own ribs..

and my own pulled pork..

off my own wood fired smoker...

Yes, I'm a shameless show off...
Old 02-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
Bamaman,

Not trying to start any kind of argument other than discussion, but competition BBQ and what is served in restaurants is not different in preparation/cooking until it comes off the smoker. Competition BBQ is fresher off the smoker as the teams only have a 10 minute turn-in window for their respective entries. Restaurants have to keep their products available for all of their hours of operation.

Perhaps S-n-L will back me up, but not all competition BBQ is top of the line; even experienced teams have good days and bad days. Some teams are brand new to competition and it takes them time to learn all the tricks of the trade. I explain to people that in an average completion, I get 25% great BBQ, 50% good BBQ and 25% below average BBQ. Some days these numbers vary but I think you can get the idea.

So you are sayingt that competitors that open up restaurants smother there ribs with squeeze parkway and pull the membrane off of them before smoking? I doubt that they do the same as there competition ribs, and I would bet money none of them are serving wagyu brisket. And usually it is a turn in every 30 minutes, not 10 minutes.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #67

Kurtsara,

The turn-in window is 10 minutes with each category 30 minutes apart.

Do all of the teams use wagyu brisket?

Several teams I know tell me they cook the same way at the restaurant as in competition. They don't want to develop any short cut bad habits going from one to the other.

Up North, what's your delivery radius?

In my post of yesterday, upon reflection, I should have said that you don't have to be a CERTIFIED judge to get good BBQ. Everyone who has posted or will post is a judge who is recommending restaurants that meet their standards for excellent BBQ.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #68

My delivery area is anywhere the tires can meet the road.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #69

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Dang UpNorth. Can ya post your schedule so we can get some of that? MERCY!
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
I totally agree with BBQ Judge. There are many who are new competitors and have not mastered the skill. That being said, on average you get some great Q at the competitions. Also, completion Q may not be to the liking of many who love things like fall off the bone ribs. In the bbq comps you get downgraded if your ribs are fall of the bone. These are considered overcooked. Based on the rules and criteria the meat should have some pull and come off the bone with a discrete bite shape, not coming off the bone too easily. Same goes for pulled/chopped pork and brisket. Not always what some like best but the teams need to shoot for what KCBS (Kansas City BBQ Society) lays down as the targets to shoot for.

Sauce is another area that may be different for some. If you love lots of sauce, competition BBQ is not for you. Here it is all about the meat and not the sauce. You can not have sauce pool up on the bottom of the turn in box or you get disqualified. You are allowed no more than a quarter size pool of sauce.

One thing I do not like about the q in the competitions is that many teams do whatever they can to get an edge and many use rubs with MSG. Not a big deal just wish they did not use it or it was not allowed. MSG is a flavor enhancer and does make things taste better.

Stuart